List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

@Richard

About 5 years ago Jerry Lehman sent this 400-5 male offspring of Rossyanka OP to Dax and I for crossing hybrids. So he told Us 400-5 (row 5 and 400 feet from his house that is how he name his tree) it is Rossyanka female 50%kaki and 50% American that Open pollinating with a male American persimmon (could be Meader, Early Golden, or Claypool male in the F series) Jerry also had a Rossyanka male but in this case it is not the male parent because the 400-5 survived the Polar vortex at -33F while 97% of all my Hybrids died including Rossyanka. Out of 17 four to 5 years JT-02 only 2 resprouted a few inches above the grafted union. So this is why I think the male parent of 400-5 is 100% American persimmon and not a Rossyanka male. I don’t think Cliff has a 400-5 male. JCW just went to Jerry Lehman orchard and the 400-5 is no longer there so I sent Dax scions to spread around the country so We can preserve it. The more the better with the cold hardiness of -33F ís a rare traits.

Tony

4 Likes

That will bring (in tomorrow’s edition) 400-5 to

25% 75% 0%

and Nebraska #1 to

62.5% 37.5% 0%

2 Likes

From my notes:

NB-02 (Zima Khurma) is Nikita’s Gift x Taishu.

NB-21 (Sestronka) is Nikita’s Gift x a Ukrainian seedling DV labeled A-21. Ukraine imported a bunch of DV varieties so I don’t think we can do better.

Kassandra, as noted above, is Great Wall (Kaki) x Rossey 2. My understanding is that Rossey 2 is Rosseyanka back-crossed to DV, so 25% Kaki, 75% DV.

Also, my understanding is that Lavergne produced three other crosses similar in genetics to Kassandra – same Hybrid male but different Kaki females. I have no idea what happened to them.

X1: Saijo x Rossey 2
X2: Keener x Rossey 2
X3: Honan Red x Rossey 2

X3 is also named Russian Red.

2 Likes

I think We still can do a better crosses with known parents and kept solid records for future breeders.

Tony

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5
I’m adding a column for “Origin” right after “U.S. Sources”. For example:
400-5 ~ Jerry Lehman

1 Like

I noticed there are multiple Ukrainian repositories with persimmons.

The objects of the research were 15-year-old plants of Diospyros virginiana, which are growing in the Forest-Steppe of Ukraine in M.M. Gryshko National Botanical Garden of NAS of Ukraine (NBG)

Grygorieva et al 2017 - Morphological characteristics and determination of volatile organic compounds of Diospyros virginiana.pdf (946.3 KB)

1 Like

This article has some interesting facts:

Northern America is a region of natural occurrence of persimmon virginiana (Capon
1990). The first introduction of this species to Europe was realized in the 18th century – first to England and subsequently to France, Italy and to southern Ukraine (Rubcov 1974).
RUBCOV, L.I. 1974. Derevja i kustarniki. Kiev : Naukovadumka, 1974. 590 pp.

Research work and most studies of these species were concentrated for several years in the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra in close cooperation with the National Botanic Garden of the Ukraine National Academy of Sciences in Kiev (Grygorieva et al. 2009).
GRYGORIEVA et all 2009. Morphometrical analysis of Diospyros lotus. In Acta Horticulturae, 2009, no. 833, pp. 145–150.

Pollen grains of interspecies hybrid Diospyros virginiana L. × D. kaki L. f.
(Photo: Gurnenko 2010)
I.V. Gurnenko, M.M. Hryshka National Botanical Garden, Kyiv.

Grygorieva et al 2010 - Pollen characteristics in some persimmon species.pdf (1.6 MB)

1 Like

Not from Nikita.
Derev’ianko et al 2020 - Dar Sofiyivky as a new Ukrainian cultivar of persimmon.pdf (1.0 MB)

Field studies of the persimmon species, cultivar and form collection, hybridization and station testing of hybrid seedlings have been conducted in the orchards of State Enterprise Experimental Facility “Novokakhovska” of Institute of Rice of the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences of Ukraine (Kherson region).

In vitro seed germination of and two-year hybrid persimmon seedlings growth has been carried out in the Department of Genetics, Breeding and Reproductive Biology of Plants of the National Dendrological Park “Sofiyivka” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.

1 Like

Are you at all familiar with the texana persimmon species? If so, do you know if it has parthenocarpic tendency? I’ve got some seeds I’m going to plant and I’m trying to learn as much about them as I can.

I also have a fuyu persimmon that performs fine. But there’s one at a different location I can’t figure out why the fruit is so small and falls off. It’s been there many years and I don’t know what cultivar it is. What are some possibilities for the small fruit in your opinion?

@jsteph00921
How are your questions related to the topic of this thread?

Grygorieva et al 2008 - Introduction, Breeding and Use of Persimmon Species.pdf (363.8 KB)

varieties bred at the Research Station “Novokachovskoje”, Nikita Botanical Garden, Nová Kachovka:

• Rossiyanka
  • Nikitskaya bordovaya
  • Mount Rogers
  • Mount Goverla
  • Mount Roman-Kosh

More to come! (Johnny Carson)

Please see the last PDF update below.

2 Likes

You seem to have an interest in persimmons. I thought your knowledge might extend to other areas of the cultivation. Did it offend you?

‘Dar Sofiyivky’ is an OP seedling of ‘Kolhospnytsia’ (‘Колгоспниця’ in Ukrainian, ‘Колхозница’ in Russian), I think this was mentioned somewhere already (perhaps in another thread). ‘Kolhospnytsia’ is Nikitskaya Bordovaya x D. kaki (see, https://baa.by/upload/science/conferencii/selekciya-i-genetika-innovacii-i-perspektivi-20.pdf, page 48).

Nikitski Botanical Garden (NBG) and Research Station “Novokakhovskaya” are two different places. NBG is on the southern coast of Crimea, not far from the city of Yalta. Research Station “Novokakhovskaya” is near the city of Novaya Kakhovka in Kherson oblast (region). Rosseyanka and Nikitskaya Bordovaya have been selected at NBG, while the “Mount” (“Gora”/“Гора”) varieties have been selected in “Novokakhovskaya”.

2 Likes

Thank you, one article puts the names together as one place.

About the breeding locations … Olga G. said this in the 2008 publication, p. 62:

More information from the paper “СЕЛЕКЦИЯ ХУРМЫ (DIOSPYROS SPP.) НА АДАПТИВНОСТЬ
В УСЛОВИЯХ ЮЖНОЙ СТЕПИ УКРАИНЫ” (“Selection of persimmon (Diospyros spp.) for adaptation in conditions of southern steppes of Ukraine”), by Derevyanko et al., https://baa.by/upload/science/conferencii/selekciya-i-genetika-innovacii-i-perspektivi-20.pdf, pp. 46-50.

• ‘Rosseyanka’ (‘Россиянка’ in Russian) = D. virginiana × D. kaki
  • ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ (‘Никитская бордовая’ in Russian) = OP seedling of Rosseyanka. More specifically: “Nikitskaya Bordovaya was obtained from selection in progeny of first back-cross (D. virginiana × D. kaki) × D. kaki, where D. kaki was represented by a mixture of pollen from several highly heterozygous varieties” (“Никитская бордовая получена в результате отбора в потомстве первого беккросса на видовом уровне – (D. virginiana × D. kaki) × D. kaki, где рекуррентные D. kaki были представлены смесью пыльцы нескольких высокогетерозиготных сортов”).
  • ‘Kolhoznitsa’ / ‘Kolhospnytsia’ (‘Колхозница’ / ‘Колгоспниця’ in Russian / Ukrainian) = ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ × D. kaki
  • ‘Dar Sofiyivky’ (‘Дар Софиевки’ in Russian, ‘Gift of Sofiyivka’ in English) = OP seedling of ‘Kolhoznitsa’ (aka ‘Kolhospnytsia’). More specifically about pollen parent: “in the orchard, the trees of ‘Kolhoznitsa’ grew near blooming trees of choice varieties of D. kaki (mostly those with a good degree of winter hardiness) and best, by winter hardiness, early ripening and flavor, hybrid varieties” (“в саду рядом с деревьями Колхозницы росли и успешно цвели отборные (преимущественно достаточно зимостойкие) формы D. kaki и лучшие по зимостойкости, раннеспелости и вкусовым качествам плодов гибриды D. kaki с D. virginiana”).

Varieties obtained as ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ × D. kaki and characterized by lower winter hardiness than ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’:
‘Novinka’ (‘Новинка’ in Russian, ‘Novelty’ in English), ‘Gora Goverla’ (‘Гора Говерла’ in Russian, ‘Mount Hoverla’ in English), ‘Gora Rogers’ (‘Гора Роджерс’ in Russian, ‘Mount Rogers’ in English), ‘Gora Roman-Kosh’ (‘Гора Роман-Кош’ in Russian, ‘Mount Roman-Kosh’ in English), ‘Konicheskaya’ (‘Коническая’ in Russian, ‘Conical’ in English), ‘Ovalnaya’ (‘Овальная’ in Russian, ‘Oval’ in English), ‘Pamyati Chernyaeva’ (‘Памяти Черняева’ in Russian, ‘Memory of Chernyaev’ in English).

Varieties obtained as ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ × D. kaki and characterized by higher winter hardiness than ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’:
‘Bozhii Dar’ (‘Божий дар’ in Russian, ‘God’s Gift’ in English), ‘Kolhoznitsa’ (‘Колхозница’ / ‘Колгоспниця’ in Russian / Ukrainian, '‘Collective Farm Women’ in English), ‘Odnodomnaya’ (‘Однодомная’ in Russian, ‘Monoecious’ in English), ‘Seedling 3/1’ (‘Сеянец 3/1’ in Russian).

Varieties obtained as ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ × D. virginiana and characterized by higher winter hardiness than ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ and ‘Rosseyanka’:
‘Sosnovskaya’ (‘Сосновская’ in Russian), ‘Chuchupaka’ (‘Чучупака’ in Russian), ‘Universal’nyi’ (‘Универсальный’ in Russian, Universal in English), ‘Seedling 12/11’ (‘Сеянец 12/11’ in Russian), ‘Seedling 12/21’ (‘Сеянец 12/21’ in Russian), ‘Seedling 15/5’ (‘Сеянец 15/5’ in Russian). ‘Seedling 15/5’ had the best winter hardiness of all varieties mentioned above, it not just survived the extremely cold winter of 2005-2006, but produced a full crop.

4 Likes

It’s a good idea indeed that interests other people. And it would also make an American persimmon hybrid.
To do this I suggest taking diospyros Roxburghii to hybridize with texana.
Indeed, both have 2n=30 chromosomes.

1 Like

Richard, by the same logic ‘Meader’ and ‘John Rick’ have been bred bred at the “Novokakhovskaya” Research Station, right? (Actually not, LOL.)

They compare properties of three varieties bred at the “Novokakhovskaya” Research Station (Mount Rogers, Mount Goverla, Mount Roman Kosh) to those of better known cultivars: Rosseyanka, Nikitskaya Bordovaya, and three D. virgininana varieties. I know the fact that ‘Rosseyanka’ and ‘Nikitskaya Bordovaya’ have been selected at the NBG from Derevyanko himself, this info is 100%.

3 Likes

Nikitskaya Bordovaya was bred by Oleksandr Kazas in 1975 in Nikita Botanical Garden by open pollination of Rosseyanka. All Goras were selected by amateur grower (I know him personally) Yuri Bogdanovskiy in Feodosiya in the eighties. He than shared his three cultivars with Derevyanko who included them in the breeding program in Novokakhovskoye. Goras were Nikitskaya Bordovaya open pollinated by kaki.

1 Like