Lucy Glo Apple

Goldrush as it is often sold, is frequently inedible. At the same stage, Arkansas Black is very tart but still edible. You have to wait weeks for Goldrush to be edible and weeks more for it to be very good. American consumers don’t know that and even if they did, don’t have the patience for that.

2 Likes

The Goldrush I’ve seen for sale in Portland Oregon have been green :frowning:

That is completely ridiculous.

Went back to a different Sprouts and picked up a few Lucy Rose and Glo, and Smitten. I tried a LR, it wasn’t red all the way thru, but mostly. It was tart and mildly sweet, not bad.

1 Like

The Lucy Rose I mentioned earlier were not good at all. I cut one for my daughter and me and didn’t finish it. Last time I got them, maybe 2 years ago, they were good.

This one was small and beautiful red from the outside. Inside I wouldn’t have guessed it was a red flesh, just some streaking, and the texture was mealy. Flavor bland and unremarkable. Probably growing and/or storage conditions were not good this year.

It’s a reminder that you can’t judge an apple, good or bad, from one tasting.

4 Likes

So true, yet many people still do…

I don’t like Ashmead’s Kernel either, it was somewhat dry, not juicy texture at all.
Goldrush is ok but there are plenty of better apples so I removed mine about 2 years ago.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this thread and out of curiosity found that Lucy Glo and Lucy Rose are in stock at a local Sprouts market in Albuquerque NM, so I picked up a few of each.

I really liked Lucy Glo, it had mostly solid red flesh, pinkish white at the core and near the skin in some parts. Texture was crisp. Had a nice tartness to it which I like, very flavorful apple. I measured 16 brix.

Lucy Rose was a decent apple. Mostly white inside, with a little bit of light pink streaking. Flavor was sweet and mild, crisp. Definitely strawberry-like to my taste buds. Didn’t really wow me, but not bad. Didn’t bother getting brix on it.

1 Like

Safeway had Lucy Glo today. I bought another bag.

1 Like

Speaking of Goldrush, I stopped by our favorite orchard in Paris, KY yesterday on my way back home from OK. It was their last day to pick your own, and at only $1 a pound I couldn’t pass on it.

I got about 25lb of Goldrush, 7.5lb of Winesap/Stayman, 7.5lb of Golden Russet, and 5.5lb of Pink Lady. Quite a haul.

I tried to get GR’s that had a blush on them, but most of trees were picked over, so some were still a bit green, so those will sit in storage a while to mellow. The others had better color on them, so they should be okay.

My wife and I had a GR last night, it was pretty tart, but sweeter than I remember. She had another at work today, said it ‘made her teeth tingle’. Which I guess means it was a bit acidic.

Guess we’re set for apples for the winter. :apple::green_apple:

3 Likes

Picked up half dozen “not MacIntosh” at my place today…there’s still a dozen on tree…some over 3" for sure.
(Have decided it’s likely an “Arkansas Black” tree.)

Just had a Lucy Glo and Rose. They were both very good but the Lucy Glo was my favorite out of the two.

My wife found a bag of Lucy Glo at Trader Joes. The apples are smaller but very good. The bag cost $4.99

3 Likes

Grabbed a couple of these at the store yesterday, they are extremely sweet, very crisp, and also very tart. The “red” flesh is more pink, though:

They are off the charts on my homebrewing refractometer, which only goes up to 1.070 SG (~17 brix), but if you assume the scale continues up to where the blue line is, that looks like it’s at least 1.090 SG (21+ brix):

I don’t eat a ton of apples, mostly just the main commercial varieties from the grocery store, but these were definitely up there among the sweetest I’ve had, though they are also so tart that you could miss how sweet they are. My wife said they are too tart for her even with all that sugar.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I noticed Burnt Ridge Nurseries has Lucy Rose trees for sale.

2 Likes

Sounds like your wife has the same palate as mine. Doesn’t matter how much sugar is there, if its accompanied with acid, its “sour”. Not surprising that she loves persimmons.

Lucy Glo is one of my favorite apples, and by far the best red fleshed I’ve had. 2nd for me has been Hidden Rose / Aerlie’s Red Flesh.

4 Likes

Wow, I wonder if they will also offer Lucy Glo.

Honestly, I’m not sure Lucy Rose isn’t as good or better than Aerlie’s. I’ve only had a few and some were really good. I’m going to get one, even though I’m not sure where I’m going to put it.

5 Likes

Hah!

Are the leaves/twigs/flowers/etc on this one red?

Lucy Glo is Howell TC3 cultivar. According to the patent it has yellow/green leaves:

2 Likes