Lucy Glo Apple

I found a Lucy Glo and Trader Joe’s. It did have a complex flavor and was very good.

4 Likes

What state @ Trader Joe’s?

Knoxville, Tennessee. They were $1.49 each.

2 Likes

Thanks, hopefully I can stop in this weekend and see, if they don’t have them at the local Chuck’s Produce which is on the way.

Not cheap, but I got a bag. They had 6 or 7 of my favorite varieties, I didn’t know what to do with myself. Normally I’m lucky if they have Opal and one other.

I also got a couple Ashmead’s Kernel, I haven’t had one I really liked but people rave about it. Plus a couple Hidden Rose, some small Lucy Rose and a few others. Meant to pick up a couple Crimson Crisp to try, they looked good. Normally I’d have also gotten Opal, Smitten, and Lady Alice too, but I’ll have a full crisper already.

5 Likes

What store did you find these at?

Chuck’s Produce. The place I first found them a couple of years ago.

14 brix and good for the first one.

I also sliced one of the Hidden Rose, maybe the mother? Texture not as good, but also nice apple. Remarkable similarity in the external look. Didn’t measure brix. The flesh was more homogenous in color, and not white near the seeds.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will take a look at some of the Trader Joe’s or another local health food store locally.

1 Like

Spotted both Lucy Glo and Rose at a local Sprouts (NE OK) this evening. Didn’t get any tonight but might try a few to see what they’re like.

Also saw a variety called Smitten, never seen it before.

Not apple related, but they also had Fuyu persimmons, but at 2 for $3. Yikes.

Smitten can be really good, one of my top 10 from grocery store. Chuck’s had small “Fuyu”, actually probably Jiro for $1.50/lb.

1 Like

Knew the big grocers eventually would have a red fleshed apple on the market…didn’t realize it was going to be named “Lucy” though.

1 Like

Smitten is really good, ripens beginning of September. It comes from NZ has a long stalk when young and almost looks like some kind of crab apple. Try it out, you will like it.
On the other hand Crimson Snow while also from NZ is a very late apple that ripens around Pink Lady time. The apples are very big but are lacking in flavor. But it might be just because it doesn’t manage to ripen here properly. Maybe Crimson Snow from California would be a different animal.

3 Likes

@murky do you have ashmeads? This was the first year I liked ashmeads kernal it’s now 6 years old the first three years of fruiting I didn’t care for them to intense and almost sour. This year was really good. Enough flavor and sweet to even out. Shy bearer but hopefully it will pick up as tree matures further.

I still am puzzled why Goldrush hasn’t become a more popular market apple. It has really good flavor, keeps a long time, looks good, and seems easier to grow than most varieties.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll pick some up of those too.

These Fuyu were about 3-4in across and had a flattened (oblate) shape. They seemed pretty firm to me, I don’t know how a ripe one is supposed to feel. Aren’t they supposed to be non-astringent?

I’ve not had a properly stored Goldrush…and fresh off the tree they are spitters.

What is your first tree to bloom? (Alkmene?)
My first 3 or 4 are all red fleshed…that are finished by time Granny Smith blooms.

I’m assuming in 3 to 6 years I can breed an equivalent or better than the Lucyglo…but time shall tell.

1 Like

I don’t have Ashmead’s, just have tasted it several times at the HOS tasting. Maybe not at its best. They were sour, not great texture. Golden Russet is maybe my favorite apple - and the Ashmead’s I’ve tried don’t hold a candle to it.

Interestingly, the ones I got yesterday had very little russeting. I didn’t recognize them.

2 Likes

Yes, Fuyu is non-astringent, and the other varieties sold as Fuyu will have that characteristic too - as well as the shape you describe. Jiro has more prominent rib creases than Fuyu - and I think different rootstock compatibility.

1 Like

This year first fruit on golden russet not a fan never got flavor and very dry. Hopefully they’ll improve like ashmeads

This year was a bust for me too. Last year was great.