Major problem with Geneva rootstocks?

Thanks. I do have mental plans for a couple of trees that if all works well would have a couple of limbs of some other variety grafted on the primary scion. Although I am looking for ~ 8-12 ft trees, it seems best to steer away from the g935 and g814. Obliged. - Pete

If youā€™re going to grow rows of them, and stake and trellis them, and also run irrigation, and especially if itā€™s an old orchard site that the old trees have been bulldozed outā€¦then Geneva roots are probably or even definitely what you want.

I agree the rest of us should proceed with some caution!

There are articles after articles of growers putting a lot of their orchards in Geneva rootstocks to have buyers regret about the performance of durability of the Geneva rootstocks. So like Blueberry said, most of us are proceeding with caution.

Iā€™ve gone all in on G969. The data shows it to be exactly what Iā€™m looking for. A free standing dwarf. Iā€™m mostly growing heirlooms and cider apples. This spring I grafted 250 on G969 and about a dozen on G890. Almost all are whip and tongue.

So far it looks like 99% of my grafts took and are going into the nursery next week.

8 Likes

Any update on G969? Iā€™m curious about how theyā€™ve held up for you in the last year.

1 Like

If you type @ciderpresser in your question he is more certain to see it.

2 Likes

Theyā€™ve done well. They started off strong then slowed down, then later summer early fall they launched. I should have fertilized/fed them sooner. I have a spreadsheet I need to update with all the sizes for the different cultivars to show the performance. I bought more G969 to try on some new varieties. I also got some m111 for the more stubborn varietals. This spring Iā€™m concentrating mostly on red flesh apples.

1 Like

And the G890? They do OK also?

I skipped the Geneva this coming grafting season, opting to only order Budagovsky roots.
Plus some seedling stock Iā€™ve ā€˜hatchedā€™.

@CiderPresser Thanks for getting back to me so soon! Any thoughts on how theyā€™d do in pots? Long story short pots work better for my current situation, with the intention to put them in the ground in a few years. Also, any chance youā€™ll be posting that spreadsheet when itā€™s done? Weā€™re all desperately in need of good data on new Geneva rootstocks. Iā€™ve had my eye on 969 and 890 for a while, so Iā€™d be curious to know which fares better with which varieties.

1 Like

I have grafted about ~225 apples onto Geneva rootstock. Approximately 50 onto G41, 25 onto G890, and 150 onto G969. I have another 50 G969 coming in next month.

So far, the G890 is at 100% takes, the G969 is at 97.5% takes and the G41 is at 86% takes.

The G41 seems to be problematic. It doesnā€™t grow fast, it has anchoring issues requiring support, and it can have weak graft unions with certain cultivars. As noted above, it also doesnā€™t take as well as others. These were all cleft, whip and tounge and chip budded. If I want more trees in the future, Iā€™ll stick to the G969. Itā€™s a semi dwarf that is free standing and grows at a very good pace.

6 Likes

The G890 didnā€™t do well and I donā€™t know why. I have some trees on it that are doing well. I have a few northern spy on 890 that are 10ā€™ tall and the northern spy on the G969 did terrible but might take off this spring. Iā€™m told that the old timers are the only ones that know how to grow northern spyā€™s haha. I did order another 25 of the 890 because Cummins swears by it but thatā€™s the only reason.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll post the spreadsheet as soon as I get the rest of the data in. I got a final measurement on everything once they went dormant. I did use an organic chicken manure fertilizer but it was mid June by the time I got it down. I wish I got it down sooner.
I started some otterson on G969 in pots that were grafted from wagon wheel orchard and they did terrible which might have been the g969 not being as compatible. Did great in the pots but not so much in the nursery. I have a sandy gravelly weā€™ll drained soil and had drip irrigation from a well. Itā€™s excellent soil and everything loves to grow in it. I ordered another 100 G969, 25 G890, 12 M111 and 12 G16 which I have virus free scion for.

3 Likes

In case anyone comes across this thread and is looking for some data on Geneva rootstocks, hereā€™s a video from Nova Scotia, Canada, where various Geneva rootstocks (along with a few others) were tested with the Modi and Buckeye Gala apple varieties: Video 2: Rooted in rootstock trials - YouTube. While graft union strengths are unfortunately not discussed, things like disease resistance, fruiting amounts, growth patterns, suckering, etc, are talked about at length. Very informative overall. G11, G30, G41, G202, G214, G222, G890, G935, G969, G4814, M9T337, M26, IFO2, and B10 are all discussed throughout the video.

While this may not be applicable to the situations that we as hobby growers face, itā€™s still more data, and can give a little insight on what to expect in our own Geneva trees.

6 Likes

Thanks, that is interesting. Too bad they didnā€™t have more non-Geneva stocks in the trial for comparison. I did notice at the end that the precociousness of all the Genevas was badly beaten by good olā€™ M26.

2 Likes

I must have missed thatā€¦Iā€™ll go back and look.

Interesting that B-10 seemed to be ahead in the '19 plantings.

The problem with the M series, and the reason why orchards seem to be moving to Geneva, is disease resistance. M series rootstocks have much less resistance to wooly aphid, crown rot, and replant disease, and no resistance to the worst of all, fireblight. Fireblight is especially a problem for the commercial grower, as it can wipe out an entire orchard of susceptible trees in a season. The Geneva trees for the most part are resistant to these things, as that was the primary consideration when breeding them. M26 might be a good option for a home grower, but even then, Iā€™m personally not taking the risk of losing my trees, so I went with a Geneva rootstock in the end.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had at least 3 or 4 trees in the late 1970ā€™s to a couple dozen in the 90ā€™s.
Only recently have I been buying Geneva and Budagovsky roots. And Antonovka in '16.

Iā€™ve never lost a tree to fireblight so far. A couple to root rot. Some to herbicide. Couple to drought. Lost some limbs (but mostly small) to blightā€¦but no trees. Not Earliblaze, not Stayman, not Braeburn, not Fuji, not Gala, Not Rome, not Jonathan, not Geneva Early, etc, etc.
On M7, M106, M111, and seedling.

So, I didnā€™t avoid the Malling for thatā€¦but for reasons such as quicker bearingā€¦in grafting over the last 5+ years.

I never grew them in my orchard but planted several G30s in a windy site that I managed for about 20 years. One of 6 or 7 trees broke and I never staked any of them. The trees survived many seasons of heavy loads of fruit.

If I already had such trees and was afraid of breakage I would go beyond staking them and actually make splints, taking a strong straight piece of wood or metal and taping it tightly to the trunks below and above the graft union with electric tape. Iā€™d remove old tape and rewrap every spring until trees reached an age where I felt secure it wouldnā€™t break.

The staked trees that are snapping must be able to shift enough in the wind to put pressure on the unions. Treat them like a healing broken bone.

3 Likes

My read is the commercial grower wants insurance, and the better resistance figures of Geneva stocks give them that. In practice this disease resistance advantage of the Geneva series didnā€™t show itself in my orchard in any appreciable way, and in fact I lost more Geneva stocks compared to M26/7/106/111 in the last 20 years. The only M stock without longevity was M9, Iā€™m done with that one. Note that I donā€™t have to worry too much about replant disease and the Geneva stocks could have an advantage there which I did not get to measure.

1 Like

@scottfsmith Very interesting. What Geneva rootstocks did you lose and what diseases did you lose them to? Were you using certified virus-free scion? This is more of that good data Iā€™ve been talking about haha.