More beets please!

We use them as fresh greens , cooked greens and ofcourse for roots. Initially we plant them intentionally thick and thin greens as we go to be eaten in with salads.

17 Likes

Yummm one of my favorites. Fresh veggies all season long. Any particular variety you like?

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
These are a mix literally. Detroit dark reds are the standard most people love.

3 Likes

Roasting beets on my fire pit tonight, wrap in aluminum foil, place under several inches of hot coals careful not to let flames near the foil! After 1 hour make a really great compliment to any meal. Try it

3 Likes

@DennisD

That sounds delicious! We will try that as as we get a chance!

1 Like

The middle is all bulls blood beets

4 Likes

planting mine this week. frost predicted sun. night but looks good after that. i love pickled beets!

3 Likes

@RichardRoundTree

Are those a type of chives in front?

@steveb4

Homemade Pickled beets sound incredible!

2 Likes

Yeah i had both siberian and common chives going and when moving into the raised beds maybe got them mixed up? I think thats siberian and the other one in the middle is common. I have garlic chives also but they are not near as hardy here and you really need to keep replanting them

2 Likes

You say you eat them in salad? Raw, I assume? Never tried that

1 Like

Yes raw , cooked, its all delicious

1 Like

I’ll have to try it.

2 Likes

a standard here in n maine

2 Likes

If you cook a fancy steak you usually put some beet microgreens on top

2 Likes

I love beets, my new favorite is chopping then up along with some carrots and roasting in a cast iron skillet with some rosemary and olive oil.

3 Likes

got to try that with my purple carrots im growing this year.

2 Likes

I have a kamado style ceramic grill and like to do it in there. It gives it a nice charcoal flavor.

1 Like

Locally we make Beetnicks, our word for Ukrainian beet leaf rolls. Traditionally they are made with bread inside but I use rice, the best part is the creamy dill sauce. This is a recipe from the internet just to give you an idea, they are not as complicated as this recipe makes them out to be.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/ukrainian-beet-leaf-rolls-recipe-1137479

I make a beet/horseradish relish that is excellent as well.

4 Likes

I’ve been growing Cylindra the last few years. Perfect uniform size for slicing for pickling.

2 Likes

I love beets. However my wife does not. While at a farm market last year a vendor gave us samples of raw cylindra beet and claimed it had no earthy taste. Many who hate beets like it. I am growing them this year in the hope my wife likes them. If not, I will have enough to make pickled beets instead.

NFG831- Did you find Cylindra to have no earthy taste?

1 Like