Most Unique Complex Unusual flavored apples

Hello,

Just looking for some suggestions of what other’s have experienced in terms of the most in your face unapologetic unique complex and unusual flavored apples.

I’m stuck on Frostbite and Sweet 16 and I see a post about Fenouillet apples but what else is really really different??

Thanks!!

3 Likes

Opal

4 Likes

I’ve heard Tollman Sweet is an interesting flavor.

2 Likes

I tried Opal from the grocery store which isn’t saying much but it didn’t real smack me of in your face flavor bomb. Maybe it was just the ones I got.

1 Like

I read that on Fedco site and almost bought scion wood!!!

Next year I guess.

Try to get a real ripe one.
Flavor is subjective
we all disagree
and why not?

2 Likes

Some others worth trying:

Ananas Reinette
Ashmead’s Kernel
Freyberg
Karmijn de Sonneville
Milo Gibson
Pink Parfait (and various other red-fleshed varieties)
Pipsqueak
Pitmaston Pineapple
Strawberry Parfait
Viking
Wickson

10 Likes

Thank you!! I saw some of these and considered them its nice having confirmation and the other’s I’ll add to my list. Thanks!!

Winesap always appealed…after a few weeks of storage.
I typically want a sweeter apple to eat though.

1 Like

Kidd’s Orange Red and Cox’s Orange Pippin.

2 Likes

Karmijn in in your face. Bramley’s seedling is intense but mostly sour.

I second Strawberry Parfait for unusual. It is good, but very different.

2 Likes

Zestar! is pretty punchy. Lots of sour and sweet.

My favorite is Lucy Glo, has a berry flavor to it that is unique to all the apples I’ve tried yet.

4 Likes

Arkansas Blacking

I have Keepsake and Frostbite. My one Frostbite was picked probably a month early, but still tasted a bit like a Fuji after 10 months in storage!

2 Likes

I think I’m going to need Karmijn next year thanks for your feedback!!

Karmijn in in your face. Bramley’s seedling is intense but mostly sour.

I second Strawberry Parfait for unusual. It is good, but very different.

Where did you source Lucy Glo?

Arkansas Black?

They are patented and the trees are not for sale, my apologies. Is this what is referred to as a ‘club apple?’ I have found them at our local Cub Foods, usually available through the winter months.

There’s some articles about them out there, looks like the breeder crossed Airlie Red Flesh with a crab, then crossed the results with Honeycrisp to come up with the Lucy apples. Hopefully in time we will be able to grow this tree.

1 Like

Ahhhh that’s cool I’ll keep my eye out for it at the grocery store and give it a bite.