Mulberries no work fruit

Girardi produced quite nicely (for the first time) this year.
As Tony mentions, fruit is quite good but to my taste Nigra which ripens later is much better.

To me, Girardi is a small mulberry – I was hoping Kokuso would be larger but from the photo looks like the same size or even smaller.

1 Like

How do you get so many fruit? Did you cover these trees, Tony? The birds ravaged mine so I only got a few.

1 Like

No covering. The Che grafted on Mulberry experiment failed to take so I bark grafted 9 large wild Mulberry understocks to 3 Oscars, 3 Girardi, and 3 Kokuso Mulberry trees. The birds had their shared. The Kokuso leaves are huge as the size of a small plate so the berries are well covered.

4 Likes

Niiiice… i hope its mulberry season for me next year after all my cultivars been put on the ground this year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tony, do you think the flavor of Kokuso or Oscar is so much better that you would plant those instead of Gerardi if you have the choice? I’m removing a fig tree that isn’t producing and could easily put Gerardi in its spot, but now I’m debating on whether I should find a spot for a big tree like Kokuso, Silk Hope, etc.

I’ve only tasted wild mulberries which didn’t have much flavor. But people are saying these varieties are better than blackberries, which is making me excited. I got a box of Prime Ark blackberries from the market yesterday, so if these are better we will be in for a treat in a few years.

2 Likes

Last of my white mulberries for this year.:frowning:
They were delicious!

15 Likes

Reviving this thread to get some opinion on Pakistan mulberry. I tasted a handful of fruits from a second leaf tree and the taste is just pure sugar - no other flavor. It is struggling and I’m watering it more than normal but wondering if I got the wrong variety. Do others who’ve tried this fruit find it more complex?

1 Like

It’s a jumbo maroon-colored white mulberry. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up in size and sweetness. To me it’s a keeper. It’s my wife’s favorite. It is not Morus nigra!

3 Likes

What a great year for mulberries! These are my own seedling varities i grow through selection.

19 Likes

They are loaded! Im not sure i can capture how productive this seedling is. Been crossing these by selection for about 10 years. Im not succeeding in making the fruit larger but productive i think i have down.

11 Likes

I ate my first mulberries this week off of some weeping dwarf I have in a pot (hadn’t gotten around to putting it in ground before everything woke up).

They’re really good. The flavor is pretty unique, and the plant seems to need very little care. If only that morus nigra that I have in another pot was so happy to grow in the local climate.

1 Like

I have a very small yard and I have 3 mulberry trees, one of them is Silk Hope. I grow them in container, off the ground.
I’m new here so I don’t know how to insert pictures yet.
I also have 6 figs and 6 jujubes, they are all in container except for one fig.

10 Likes

@TurtleWax

Did you get your mulberries growing? Curious how they did for you in Australia?

I have a few white mulberries growing. They do ok here in Australia. They would do better with more water, or a little protection from the wind. I also have a white shahtoot mulberry, which tastes great but seems determined to die in my garden.

I have never seen black mulberries in this country, and doubt that they exist here. Every ‘black mulberry’ for sale I have seen is a mislabelled white mulberry.

1 Like

Looking back through older posts in this thread, clarkinks mentioned cow manure improving production. It’s true!
The ortet of Lawson Dawson was growing in the corner of a barnlot, with a small pond just 40 ft or so downhill. I know the cows lounged (and pooped and peed) in its shade, for many years. Fruits were large and tasty.
Fruits from my grafts of it here were good, but not nearly as large. This year, I’m keeping two 2-yr old heifers and their calves up in the barnlot and small pasture here. They spend a lot of time lounging beneath the two LD trees and a couple of IE seedling trees. Fruits on those trees are WAY tastier and larger than those from the older LD tree out in the yard.

5 Likes

@TurtleWax

Here is a link they do exist but they seem expensive there. In the USA anyone who asked i could give 50 seedlings if they wanted to dig them up. They are everywhere because i grow so many adult trees. Maybe you should just move to the USA and they grow like weeds here. The white ones are the rearest on my property. I have one or two white mulberry out of around 100 trees. They are not as hardy as the red mulberry. The black is not as hardy as the red either. Most of my seedlings have a white crossed in the genetics but you can’t easily tell that. Technically they are a cross of just about everything.
Buy Mulberry Fruit Trees (White, Red, Black)

The harvest has been substantial this year, but once again the quality is so variable. A tree that was delicious last year is nearly flavorless this year, others have reversed. I wish I had some clue what causes the difference. Luckily, I have a lot of mulberry trees, so I guess it balances out.

The kids are all enjoying them, which is what really matters…

4 Likes

IE mulberry in my yard starts to ripen. This year, the fruits are smaller and less plump which may due to lack of the rain this spring. But the flavor is still excellent as always.

11 Likes

@IL847

Good looking fruit ! Illinois everbearing look a little different here. They are behind yours.
These photos were taken today of a couple of nice trees at the @39thparallel orchard. 20210613_183145

3 Likes

I also have a ton of fruit on the trees. But what makes this year different is that ussually the birds devour almost every fruit as soon as it ripens. Whenever I look at the trees, there may be a total of 1-3 fruit semi-ripe at any given time. I went out today and there were dozens (maybe ~100…). I’m not sure if the production is that much more than usual, or if the birds have just been slacking (not that I want them to pay attention…). I did see one bird approach while I was picking, so I don’t think they are entirely ignoring the mulberries.

There were so many that I even brought some in to share (and take a pic…)

Regrettably, the Kokuso is the biggest tree and has the least tasty berries this year (it’s hard to say about past years, as the sample size was always so small).

I split the Pakistan with my wife (a big enough mulberry to share) and she liked it best, though she thought that the ripest Oscars were close. I liked both, but give Oscar the edge due to the added kick of tartness with the sweet.

Here’s a pick of the underside of a Kokuso branch

9 Likes