My mulberry and other fruits collection

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/morus-rubra-silk-hope/

Rubra according to this page apparently.

1 Like

I think its not rubra either… i think its hibrid alba vs rubra

It was widely used in north carolina for the silk industry, as albas are the main food for the silk worms it has to have alba blood on it… i think its a hibrid

3 Likes

There is another “Silk Hope” in Asia whose DNA profile is 100% M. alba.

2 Likes

Didn’t knew that

Do you happen to grow Russian Mulberry? I’m wondering if mine is either waiting for more chill hours or decided to call it a life :slight_smile:

1 Like

Russian Mulberry is the common name for M. alba.

2 Likes

Russian mulberry is the plain morus alba. I have a few, they wake up/bud late. Possibly to be sure they get the best weather possibly. They are the only ones that havent start budding yet in my orchard

2 Likes

@Carld Did you manage to acquire Tehama?
@Richard should I try rooting 1 dormant Tehama cutting?

1 Like

@ammoun, no i dont have Tehama yet lol

I am also very curious about Tice, some people say its the same as Shangri la (which i have a few), but not sure about that

2 Likes

I think you’d have more success with airlayer.

2 Likes

POST CORRECTION

Look what arrived from Ireland

Ahah correct to my post, these ones are from Ireland!!
. Mulberry bistrica
. Another illinois Everbearing
. Moldova Pink
. Mulberry Collier

Description

Bistrica
Morus alba x spp. - Large black-fruited variety which will bear fruit in the first year of planting. Originated in Bulgaria. Height to 3 metres.

Mulberry, Collier
Morus alba x rubra - Great variety from France, with large sweet black fruits and very hardy. Fruit is borne from June until September and usually borne on these grafted trees in the second year of planting. Final height around 4 metres but can be pruned to a smaller size. Self Fertile.

Illinois Everbearing - Originated in White County, Illinois, introduced in 1958. Grafted. Black, nearly seedless, large long fruit. Flavour is very sweet and considered by many to be the finest mulberry. Fruit matures from June to late August. Grafted mulberries fruit early in life, often in their second year. Extremely hardy. Can be kept under 3 metres with pruning. Self fertile.

Moldova Pink
Morus Alba (i think its rather alba vs rubra…) - Large bright purple/ pink fruits, about 3 cm long, and very sweet and tasty, A very robust variety with strong growth. Originates form Sofia. Final height 2 to 3+ metres, Self-fertile.

The italians ones should be arriving soon lol

8 Likes

@Carld - I ordered a Silk Hope from Burnt Ridge so I could test it. It appears they no longer have the cultivar at NCGR Davis.

1 Like

Ok, a very nice member here @ammoun got me a few cuttings of Silk Hope.
Was planning to graft to one of my mulberries but just went through a garden centre and saw a cheap mulberry tree being sold as a fruiting type… i can only see male catkins on it and no signs of grafting… so i bought it and will put the silk hope on it instead :))

Can any of you distinguish any female catkins? Even if they are there pretty sure its an inferior variety, so i will put the silk hope on it instead :slight_smile:
And by the way i ask to my friends, experiencied in grafting:

1. What type of grafting should i use (i have a few cuttings of silk hope)
  2. Should i graft high on it, at the middle of the trunk or really low in the trunk or at soil level?
  3. Help please because the only time i tried to graft i failed miserably

Also bought a purple pitanga :slight_smile: eugenia myrtifolia

4 Likes

LOL! Eugenia myrtifolia it’s not purple pitanga! No near any pitanga! In portuguese is jambinho and in english i think it’s jambu lilipili.

2 Likes

Ahah, i was fooled @Luisport daaaamn… what do i do with it? Are the fruits nice at least?

2 Likes

I have one tree of it. I like them a lot! They are like a juicy sponge a bit sweet and tangy. You have to be lucky because there are some that flavours like resine! I eat them from tree but you can make marmalade.

1 Like
2 Likes

I was tricked :(((((

What about the grafting? Any suggestions?

And there are not purple pitanga, just black, red, orange and white (very very rare).

Grafting what?