My mulberry and other fruits collection

Different cultivars of Pakistan or mulberry in general?
Cheers

Great job. It would be nice to see the rootball on the air layered branches. Did all of them produce roots? Have you used any rooting hormone?

Cheers

1 Like

@Lex, regarding the cultivars I was speaking about figs

Regarding the airlayers, the rootballs werenā€™t massive, very few rootsā€¦ This pakistan I have I never succeeded rooting from cuttings and through my first attempt with airlayers the results were not great either. Next time Iā€™ll try with peat moss as a medium to airlayers. I believe most of these airlayers will fail unfortunately. But Iā€™ll keep you guys posted
However I am happy with the shape of the tree now. Lol

My other pakistan Mulberry from same UK nursery and same age of the one I did the airlayers but planted in my home garden.

And a regular alba with black fruits in the same garden

These trees are growing fast and big, when the leafs fall off I will trim them down and transplant them to the orchard instead

2 Likes

OK, pre ordered a few more Mulberry cultivars to my collection (some I already have, others are new to me). Should arrive in November, December:

1 Wellington,
1 Ruppā€™s Roumanian
2 Gerardi dwarf
1 Yougoslavia
1 Neapoli
1 Pink
1 Black Italian
1 Sugar cube
1 Illinois Everbearing
1 Morus nigra ā€œAalstā€

The ones I already have (some more than 1 tree).

• unnamed big white fruiting Portuguese cultivar
  • gelso bianco - Italian cultivar with big white fruits
  • bistrica
  • gelso Rosso - Italian variety with pink fruits
  • Portuguese weeping/pendula - abnormal big black fruits for a weeping
  • Shangri la - 2 trees and like 20 small rooted cuttings in ground already
  • gelso Nero - very large black fruiting Italian cultivar
  • Oscar
  • UK pendula - fruiting black fruits
  • unnamed Portuguese alba or hybrid with big black fruits
  • Portugal Mulberry - very very large fruits
  • black Italian
  • nigra king James I/Chelsea
  • 2 pakistan UK source and several rooted airlayers
  • pakistan Belgium source
  • clone 10 pakistan - more cold hardy, bud mutation
  • white pakistan/Saharanpur Italian source
  • white pakistan/Saharanpur Belgium source
  • 2x Illinois everbearing
  • sangue e latte - blood and milk. Big fruiting pinkish Italian cultivar
  • morus boninensis - Japanese endangered variety with black fruits
  • nigra agm
  • nigra aalst
  • 2x nigra de la Regina - Italian
  • 1x German nigra
  • 1 macrophyla - unfortunately seems male
  • 1 kagayaeme - male also unfortunately
  • a fake nigra - pretty sure a bland alba or hibrid
  • madeira Mulberry - seems like a everbearing Mulberry but with very large fruits, from the madeira island.
  • 1 Wellington
  • 1 lavendel
    Think thatā€™s it. Lol
5 Likes

This is more than a collection. Itā€™s a repository!! Kudos!!

2 Likes

Ahah

1 Like

Impressive, really! Iā€™m shure this is the bigest mulberry collection here in Portugalā€¦ you can start to sell tickets! :wink:

4 Likes

I just read on NAFEX and Mulberry group on FB that there is some kind of new virus affecting mulberries (looks like it was spread in US through Pakistani mulberry, therefore the propagation of it is on hold for now). The leaves are discolored and having ring like patterns similar to PPV on stone fruits. Donā€™t know more about it, just be careful, it might be in Europe already as well

4 Likes

All my Pakistan are European origin, so far I donā€™t notice anything, but Iā€™ll be particularly careful. Thank you Paul

2 Likes

from where is this one?

1 Like

@lilke hereā€™s the nursery description for the Yugoslavia Mulberry:
ā€œā€œYugoslaviaā€ is a nameless Yougoslavian landrace that I obtained through a Turkish collector. It is the earliest ripening mulberry in my collection and I believe it to be a hybrid between M.alba and M.kagayame but it does not have the disected leaves, only heartshaped leaves. It is also very frost resistant. The berries are about 3.5cm and black when fully ripe. The berries are very fleshy and sweetsour. very, very productive!!ā€

Sounds good, no?

2 Likes

Will you have any seedlings this winter?

Mulberry seedlings? No, I donā€™t propagate by seedlings

Yeah. Itā€™s familiar also. Yugoslavia is former country, I was born in it :grin: Mulberries like that isnā€™t hard to find here. People just dont care so much about them.

2 Likes

@lilke yeah we in Europe know well about the terrible Yugoslavia war in the 90ā€™s. Glad is all over. Beautiful land! Where in the territory are you from?
Regards from a fellow European

Iā€™m from Serbia. And yeah the 90ā€™ were very bad. The whole decade actually. Now itā€™s ok.

1 Like

Hopefully no more wars in Europe for the near future.
That war was a tragedy.

1 Like

Agree. Better to say not to have wars at all, anywhere.

1 Like

True