My small fruit tree orchard

My yam berries (Dioscorea polystachya) are sprouting… the first yam to sprout!

1 Like

I love to eat this tiny a bit acid berries of Berberis darwinii… most of them goes to birds! :blush:

5 Likes

Some info about yam berries…

Tiny Mukago Potatoes

Description/Taste
Tiny Mukago potatoes are very small, aerial tubers, most averaging the size of a shelled English pea, approximately one centimeter in diameter. They are oval to round in shape and have dark brown to gray, russeted and rough textured skin. The flesh is pale cream to white with a sticky texture, similar to taro root. When cooked, Tiny Mukago potatoes take on a soft, bean-like texture and have an earthy, slightly bitter taste.

Seasons/Availability
Tiny Mukago potatoes are available in the fall.

Current Facts
Tiny Mukago potatoes, botanically classified as Dioscorea japonica, are the small, aerial tubers of the yamaimo, or Japanese yam plant. The yamaimo is known as the mountain potato and is best known for its large underground tuber which can take up to three or four years to mature. Tiny Mukago potatoes are the edible, aerial bulbils that appear annually and grow on the vine of the plant. Once harvested, they are planted to grow more yamaimo root or are utilized as a food source. Tiny Mukago potatoes are also known as Potato Bulbs, Potato Buds, Yam Berries and Yam Nuts. They are considered to be a delicacy in Japan.

Nutritional Value
Tiny Mukago potatoes contain vitamin B1, B2, B6, and C as well as potassium, calcium, and magnesium.

Applications
Tiny Mukago potatoes are best suited for both raw or cooked applications and taste best when boiled lightly, grilled, or fried in oil and salted. Tiny Mukago potatoes are often served as a bar snack in Japan. They are also used in miso soup and boiled along with rice to make Tiny Mukago gohan or potato rice. They pair well with gingko nuts, burdock root, lotus root, carrots, chestnuts, mushrooms, garlic, parsley, kombu, and sake. Tiny Mukago potatoes have a relatively long shelf life and should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place.

Ethnic/Cultural Info
Tiny Mukago potatoes are a rarity outside of Japan, where native Ibarakians in Tsukuba and Ibaraki still often refer to the Mukago by their ancient name, Nukago. Tiny Mukago potatoes are used in shojin-ryori (Japanese temple food), which makes use of foraged ingredients. Tiny Mukgao potatoes were also mentioned in a Shijo school text, one of the earliest records devoted to the preparation and presentation of food in Japan. The text, which dates back to 1489 BCE, indicates that an elaborate plate, which ought to be appropriate for the rank of the person the dish is being served to, should be used to serve skewers of grilled Tiny Mukago potatoes and fish cakes.

Geography/History
Tiny Mukago potatoes are native to Japan, China, and Korea. The yamaimo plant grows naturally along rivers and forest edges and in the mountains in Japan, where it has a history of cultivation dating back to 50,000 BCE. Today, the yamaimo plant is grown in home gardens both for its large, underground yams and for the Tiny Mukago aerial tubers. Tiny Mukago potatoes thrive in temperate climates and are found mainly in Japan in home gardens and at local markets.

3 Likes

Great link on Mukago potatos!

http://bastish.net/blog/2011/10/22/mukago/

My two bulbs of dioscorea bulbifera are showing the first signs of sprouting… :blush:

My yam berries (Dioscorea polystachya) sprouting…

4 Likes

My first Corsega grapefruit fruits! Yummy! The bigest one weights 400g and the other 350g… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yummy! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

My ugli small plant flowering…

Dekopon seeds sprouting! :grin:

3 Likes

My next bet will be a small orchard of cold hardy avocados to sell fruit and seeds…
My tamarillos are already with small fruits.

3 Likes

I found this video about musa pitu… i will have this one soon!

4 Likes

Amazing thread. Thank you for sharing all of this. You cultivate yr own little slice of heaven

5 Likes

Thank you very much for your comment! You are very kind!
Yes, i have a lot of work, many mistakes but i’m starting to see the fruits of my dream! :smiley:

3 Likes

More fruits…

Nijisseiki fruits and trees

Chojuro

Wallnut

Pingo de mel figs

White mulberry

2 Likes

Baya marisa apple

Appistar

1 Like

Sunflower pawpaw fruits… for the first time!!! :grin:

3 Likes

My yams growing…

Dioscorea polystachya growing fast…

Dioscorea bulbifera sprouting…

2 Likes

Some veggies sprouting…

Okinawa spinach

Potato Mint (Plectranthus rotundifolius)

http://tropical.theferns.info/viewtropical.php?id=Plectranthus+rotundifolius

2 Likes