Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Mine is very big and tall but no polinator near by. No room.

How did the roots look?

Yes, I will order again.

1 Like

Nadia number one, the entire tree is dead, while Nadia number two, the rootstock is pushing out suckers.

Your local nurseries might have it .
It gave you some fruits this year right ?

1 Like

They had a lot of flowers but no fruit.

1 Like

I have one growing here that I planted as a donor tree. It is going to be loaded with new growth Scions this spring. Looking to graft it on all my stone fruit trees and see how it goes.

2 Likes

The tree was atacked from the inside by insects.

1 Like

The suckers aren’t Nadia. They are the rootsock it was grafted on. You can grafted a Nadia onto them.

Any updates of your Nadias?

Has anyone made a Nadia x sweet cherry cross?

Mine set heavily this yr with minimal hand pollination. I was amazed at the fruit set. Had to thin out the clusters.

5 Likes

My Nadia died over the winter. I’ll need to get some scions next winter and try again.

Mine died during the Summer so I replaced it this Winter.

Mine also died this past winter. It was completely girdled by voles. Looked to have lots of blooms so I was disappointed.

Mine looks to be loaded. I should end up with more than the couple good samples I had last year.

2 Likes

Mine grew like crazy last summer so I pruned tops back and got good spurs and side growth along with more upward growth. It has swollen fruit buds just about everywhere. It should look all white full of blooms. I did the same with Sweet Treat right next to it and it should be full of blooms the same. Sweet treat survived a 3/4 girdle and still grew like crazy! I’m thinking they should pollinate each other. I have other plums nearby also. I will have to spray for pc often. I was hit hard with my other fruit last year. I planted a row of black raspberries down my deer fence line that is taking over. That was a mistake because I need to spray when they are flowering! I withheld and pc went crazy.

This is sweet treat right next to it. I wish I got the whole trees in the photos but I’ll post more when they bloom.

1 Like

I hand pollinated Nadia with Bing and Rainer plus the Sweet Treat Pluerry. I may grow out done seeds next Spring.

Tony

2 Likes

Keep us updated. I’m curious to see what a nadia x sweet cherry hybrid tree and fruit would look like.

Here are some progress photos

Nadia fruit, did not have to thin them. 60+ total developing fruit so far, last year only 4 fruit.

Nadia cross sapling started growing Nov 2017 from seed pit. My hope is that it was pollinated with Candy Heart., will not know until it produces fruit next year? It produced only a few blossoms this season which dropped off.

Nadia cross grafted to a small burgundy plum tree in case the original one in the pot dies.

Here is a Candy Heart, seed parent, cross with about 60 fruit on it, they will be thinned soon. It was grown from seed the same time as the Nadia cross above. I did not expect fruit production so soon.

Here is what Candy Heart looks like for fruit shape comparison.

6 Likes

Mine bloomed with all my Japanese plums, but it had very few blooms. It has set at least a handful of fruit so I will hopefully get to taste it this year.