Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Despite being one of the largest healthiest looking trees in my orchard, I don’t think mine had any blooms on it this spring. It’s been very disappointing for me. I don’t remember exactly when I got it but I think it’s going on 4th leaf. It’s been a big fat dud. I have toka grafted to it and it bloomed heavily.

Head your branches back and it will grow lots of fruiting spurs. I cut mine back to about 1/2" caliper.

Been a dud here in SoCal so far too. Bloomed decently, although later than most of the Japanese plums around it. No cherries nearby. Hopefully there are a few small fruits hiding, but if not, maybe next year!

1 Like

My now dead Nadia from three years ago was pollinated by Emeral Drop pluot.

I have Lavina, Laroda, Howard Miracle, and Spring Satin grafted to my Nadia now. All will bloom for the first time this year. I’m not going to do any hand pollination. Also within 20 feet is Satsuma, Vermont, Superior and Toka. Thirty feet away is a Weeping Santa Rosa. So no excuses for this variety of plums so close, not to have something compatible. All will bloom this year. Well all are blooming right now. All my plums and pluots pretty much bloom together within 2 days. Even low chill types like Dapple Supreme. Close enough to work.
Most I never tasted yet, looking forward to them and many others. That’s just the front yard, most of my trees are in back!
I’m going to do specific crosses in the future, but first I want to see what Mother Nature can do. I trust her to make good choices.

2 Likes

Flavor King seems to be a good pollinator as well, my experience. I do not have room to experiment with individual Nadia pollination rates (fruit production) with near by possible pollinators. Obtaining scions and grafting them to near by or the same tree never hurts anything. Adding more variety, pollination wise, is a good thing.

My Nadia bloomed nicely this year. Four years old, had some major deer pruning but now is above that height. The branches seem brittle where the join the tree, so when a deer pulls, the entire branch breaks off. Last year had flowers, no fruits. Lots of flowers this year. I cut branches from Hollywood plum and Crimson Sentry (I think - an ornamental, red leaf, white flower plum with small, dark, very juicy flavorful plums) and placed them among the blooming Nadia branches. It’s an early bloomer here, among the earliest! Most of the flowers and some early growth were hit by a late freeze, but it looks like a few survived. Maybe a half dozen or dozen, too early to say.

In retrospect, I’ve had bad results with most interspecific prunus. I think most are developed in hotter, dryer climates and not suitable for me. That might be true for Nadia. But so far it’s at least healthy looking.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same is true with Candy Heart and Sugar Twist Plurries while attempting to spread branches.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot of vigar in my Nadia. I pruned it way back and it’s going to flower like crazy this year. I’m going to prune it again this year too. I don’t want a sixteen foot tall plum tree. Only a few last year and the fruit was all ruined by pc so I have to stay ahead of them. I’m hoping for my first taste this year.

1 Like

Here’s mine:

1 Like

My Nadia is about to bloom. It’s about 10% open.

5 Likes

I got one contact me next winter. It’s still young so the new growth is large.

Try pollinating a couple of flowers with sweet cherry pollen. Hopefully, they develop into fruit and then you should plant the seeds.

1 Like

Mine in zone 8b Seattle. Nadia fruits are forming.

1 Like

That looks great! How many, what was the main pollinator?

1 Like

I removed a lot of Japanese Plum away even Candy heart because they alway blooming in late frost too cold and wet every year Rich . This year I just placed 1 small Santa Rosa in container next to Nadia . Look like they do very good so far with more fruits after heavy pruning last Fall.

1 Like

I will do that this morning. It opened before any plums, and I was thinking the the bees were doing that already because I have two cherries next to it too. I will do a whole branch bing and a hole branch Rainier.

3 Likes

My Nadia are turning color.

4 Likes

The curcs loved my Nadia fruits but fortunately it had a really good set so I will still get a good crop. Its interesting that Nadia is right next to several other plums at about the same maturity but 90% of the curc-bitten fruits are on Nadia. They are just now getting too big for the curc to be so interested.

3 Likes

My Nadia last year was attacked by curcs also! It made the fruit all fall off. I did a good job of collecting all my fruit from the ground so I hope that helps. I might have to get surround.

1 Like