Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Yes I have a Santa Rosa growing next to my Nadia and a Sweet Treat Plueery. Pollenation isn’t a problem for any of them.

1 Like

I finally got great set on my Nadia too, and thanks Scott for the head up about PC. I will spray well!

1 Like

Have you tried the fruit yet? Mine died last spring.

Yes, I found it somewhat tart, I didn’t really taste any cherry. But you know it didn’t taste much like a plum either, at least none I have tasted. I liked it. It was different.

3 Likes

There was a hint of cherry but not strong, I let mine stay on the tree for a long time. It was sweet, no tart.

Yeah, I hope to let them hang longer this time. I probably picked them early. I only had a few.
It was still good for me. The tree grows well too.

I wonder if this will become a commercial crop? Something we might see in the stores? I guess i haven’t noticed anything like this but maybe it’s already out there.

Australia does produce it commercially and that where it came from.

I think the cherry flavor is not strong enough to call it a cherry with a size of a plum. Can’t sell it as a plum with a size of a cherry :smile:

Anyway, it tasted good to me, somewhat different. Clever marketing could make Nadia catch people’s attention.

Growing it commercially, one needs to know what cross pollinate it well. So far, those of us who have had good fruit set have many plums and pluots growing around Nadia. I have 10+ plum grafts near it. I can’t tell what pollinate Nadia.

1 Like

Curcs what kind of insect are they ? I couldn’t find out any information on them. Scott ?

curcs=plum curculio

2 Likes

We don’t have them here Vincent,thankfully.bb

2 Likes

We don’t have gopher here neither. My friend in CA tell me gophers ate all her fig trees Brady .

I can see that happening.There’s a place in San Jose,Emma Prusch Farm Park,that has a bunch of different fruit trees.
One area has a Fig orchard with different size plants.All over the ground are holes,made by Gophers probably,from what I could see.Somehow a lot of the trees survive.Some to a very large size.bb

1 Like

Have any of you successfully pollinated your Nadias with cherry pollen?

1 Like

I will try next season with Wickson (Burbank) cherry pollen, an early season cherry. I recently counted 125+ Nadia fruit developing. Last season was a bust, only 4 fruit, the year before yielded 16 fruit. My Nadia cross grown from a Nadia seed from fruit ,season before last, is still doing well, see Apr 21 of this thread above.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, even though it was developed here (I am in Australia) and is commercially grown here I have never seen it in any shop. I assume that we export them somewhere more profitable than domestic sales.

There is nowhere in Australia that sells the plants either. I tried contacting the company who owns them and they have never responded. Yet overseas they seem to be pretty commonly grown by home gardeners.

I tried to but I don’t know if it worked. The tree is still in full bloom. My sweet treat next to it doesn’t look like any flowers were pollinated. It was cold and rainy but I did see a day with bees all over it.

Same with the Nectarcots, nectarine x apricot hybrids, the Zaigers have a couple of Nectarcot varieties that are grown commercially in South Africa, but none of them are available for the home gardener in the USA.

1 Like

My Nadia has a Sweet Treat Plueery, a Santa Rosa plum, several plucots , 4 Varieties of sweet cherries very close and a beehive I. The middle of it all. I haven’t got fruit yet but it will be interesting.

With how many flowers I had I thought I would get more fruit. There is about 30 fruit or so Maybe enough to make a cherry pie, ha!

8 Likes