Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Sweet Nadia with cherry texture flavor tasting. 7.31.19

16 Likes

I do not know if it has been mentioned, but Burnt Ridge Nursery is pre-ordering Nadia scion wood for next season. I plan to buy a few sticks to experiment with. From what I have seen it is a very attractive tree. I would like to test it as a pollenizer for my Lydecker plum. I am also interested to see if it will grow on cherry root stock with Adara/Puente inter-stem.

4 Likes

A guy from a gardening group on Facebook said that Nadia is a good pollinator for other cherries.

5 Likes

Do you graft it to a plum or cherry tree?

All the evidence seems to point toward plum. I don’t know how much has been attempted, but I want to try grafting it to cherry with an interstem.

1 Like

I have a Santa Rosa next to my Nadia and another variety of cherry plum. Bought them three years ago this spring. Hoping to get fruit this year. Have about a half dozen varieties of plucots, a hive of honey bees and several mason bees and 8 varieties of cherry trees. Should get everything pollinated.

3 Likes

Many Nadia clusters will be ripe soon. Birds and pests usually leave them alone in my neighborhood.

14 Likes

Playing a little thread necromancer here… I just ate my first Nadia plum.

My tree stubbornly refused to produce for years but finally provided a modest harvest this year. I thought it was a good plum but the “cherry” part was something you would never notice if you weren’t looking for it. (and even then maybe I was fooling myself)

11 Likes

Sorry to say, but I do not think that Nadia has any Sweet Cherry, Prunus avium parentage in it. I seems to be either the result of selfing the Japanese plum, or a cross between the Japanese Plum and the Cherry Plum, Prunus cerasifera (another little true plum with no cherry in it). There’s so much money to be made in marketing new stuff, and all too often it turns out to be fake. For example the ‘Papple’ is often sold as a pear x apple hybrid. In fact it is just another asian pear.

1 Like

Have you tested the genetics?

I myself do as the growth of the tree is closer to a cherry tree than a plum. As far as flavor, one tends to taste more plum like flavor than cherry. Much like pluots. But I must say the favor of these inter specific hybrids is very complex, rich, and unique. Pluots are awesome, and the nectaplum is a fantastic nectarine. If you like low acid whites that is. Nadia has a great flavor that tends to be tart. Great for processing, I prefer others for fresh eating. Besides Nadia I have Fall Fiesta pluot which has some cherry (peach and nectarine too). The first year it produced the fruit was rather bland. The 2nd year the fruit was fantastic. Very peach like, but still the plum flavor dominates. Very late ripening here in zone 5b/6a Like the middle of October. Just making it, it. Many times fruit at this time sucks, but this one may be a winner? I need a few more years of fruiting to really tell.
I never tried the Zaiger cherry-plum crosses. I’ll add them one day when the patients go. I don’t have room for more trees, just grafts.

4 Likes

It is not scientific, but the deer attack Nadia as aggressively as White Gold cherry. They hit most of the trees and grafts, but they really preferred Nadia to the other plums. Even on a 3-in-1 with Hollywood, Superior, and Nadia. They topped the other two plums and ate everything green from Nadia.

2 Likes

I think you may need an interstem like Purnte (Adara) to go either way. Since Nadia is a cherry plum, cross Prunus salicina×Prunus avium, there is a fair chance it may graft directly w/o interstem. This spring I am top working my cherry trees using a combination of several different interstems and Nadia is one of them, so maybe I will know what works best by this fall? Should you desire to obtain Adara scions for interstems you can obtain them from Marta.

Good luck
Dennis

I distinctly taste cherry in our Nadia plums and we really like them. Maybe climate or some other factor plays a role in the flavor. Or maybe its the palate.

1 Like

My Nadia died. Not sure i’ll replace it.

So I bought a second Nadia which was already several years old (unsold in a local nursery) which was great for me. The first summer (2020) I got a really good crop of several dozen nice sized Nadias and if I left them on the tree long enough, the flavour was very good. I could actually taste the cherry in this small/med. sized plum x cherry. Very pleased. Growing it in a 40g planter pot but worth building a much larger cedar box (3’x3’x3’ or bigger) to allow the roots to spread out more. For me at least, the Nadia is a keeper. My first Nadia (bought 2015) never really did well, but this one is fantastic.

2 Likes

My second Nadia also produces fruit with a cherry flavour but plum size, so its a keeper for me too.

Sorry to hear your Nadia died. Ours seems healthier than both our Japanese plums and our Sweet Cherries.

Just bad timing. That spring had a very cold April and everything just go so delayed (sitting in a garage) that i think what happened is some of the trees just dried out too much and died…i lost several trees. I had never had an issue after a few years of overwintering so that was new for me. I know in the future i would move them out much sooner even with the cold just to get some moisture back into the root ball.

Ok I have held my breath and counted to 10, no more like counted to 100, no more like a 1000. Banish my comments to the lounge if you must. (water holding device) those of you who talked(wrote) a naive newbie to plant a less then stellar zone 5 plum in zone 4 because it was the greatest plum ever. To Nadia’s credit it did die to the ground every winter, but always put new shoots up in the spring. It was my frustration and shovel that actually killed it. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I think most already understand how this thread went off the rails. I have already forgiven you.