Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

6 Likes

Since they sell to public about 4 years ago. I trimmed some branches 2 times already. Big trimming last Fall. Now full blooming with a lot of fragrance.
(upload://6V8b0tqRkax8y2xpRiYITe7HSda.jpeg)

5 Likes

Vincent
Your Nadia puts everyone else’s to shame.

1 Like

Found them in this morning hanging out on our satsuma plum blossoms. I think they are the same as this thing I saw inside our house the other night. Not sure what they are

1 Like

That is it. Ugly little critters. I would have instinctively killed them, but the legs look waspy.

Maybe a parasitic wasp? She looks ready to box.

Well RichSV, did your Nadia/Candy Heart cross ripen fruit? How were they?

It had blossoms but no viable fruit. They would drop off when very small. I need to grow many seeds out instead of one to better see what the results are. Three of the three Candy Heart seeds when grown into small trees had fruit. The first one can be seen on the Candy Heart thread on this forum July 2019. It looks kind of like a red apple, no point on the bottom, the taste is sort of like Candy Heart , syrupy watermelon but with an added citrus like zest to it. It does get mealy when beyond peak ripeness faster then Candy Heart does. I planted this one in the ground, it is doing well. The second one has very dark fruit, pointed on the bottom. The flesh is amber in color, it tastes sort of like a Santa Rosa plum. I did not like the flavor as much,. The third one has small elliptical fruit sort of mild cherry like in flavor. I encourage everyone to plant seeds of your favorite fruit to experience the resultant fruit.

4 Likes

Here is my Nadia on the right. It’s next to Sweet treat, Santa Rosa in the back left. My sweet cherries are in bloom too but I’m not sure if they would pollinate it.

10 Likes

Hey RichSV, just crossed to see your self-bred variety and created this account to see if you’d share your achievements with us.

1 Like

Nadia Cherry Plum (7/17/21)

16 Likes

Any interesting observations on the flavor?

1 Like

Thoughts comments about texture/flavor/sugar? They look great. I really wish mine would have not died.

1 Like

I just picked them early for jam. Nadia jam is the best.

9 Likes

That jam looks delicious, nice deep red color. I’m totally making some of that when my Nadias are ripe enough in a few weeks.
My Nadia tree died from canker a couple of years ago. Fortunately, I was able to collect some scion-wood prior to its demise. This will be the first fruits from the grafts.

1 Like

My tree is finally producing well. I love the cherry shape of the fruit. Well many of them anyway

12 Likes

Has anyone in this group created a Nadia x sweet cherry hybrid?

Just curious about how the tree would look like.

2 Likes

@RichSV did at least some Nadia/Candy Heart crosses.He sent me some scions a couple years ago.They are growing but haven’t fruited yet.

3 Likes

Three different Candy Heart crosses, from CH seed, are bearing ripe fruit now. Two are marginal tasting, the other one is superior. It has a sweet complex intense citrus like flavor, skin is not bitter.

I have not tried to do a Nadia x Sweet Cherry hybrid.

Hundreds of Nadia fruit have been harvested, some are partially dehydrated and are in the freezer. I made jam with some, it has a somewhat undesirable cranberry like flavor. Pomegranate juice added to the jam making process improves the flavor.

Thanks for the Howard Miracle scion it produced fruit this season.

6 Likes

Either your Nadia are way ahead of mine, or you picked them really early. I made some jam a couple of weeks ago with unripe, sour ones. I think that was about a week after you.

Only now are they ripe, with texture more like a cherry instead of a pluot, and not super sour. I should try cooking some again.

2 Likes