Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

It is plum-like. The one crop I got was of high quality. It came to my surprise. You would think it is more popular with such nice fruit. It is still early for a final evaluation. Maybe the tree is difficult to crop. I was disappointed to see not a single fruit this year. The temperatures where challenging in spring but not terrible. Other stonefruit managed to set decently, Aprikyra not so.

2 Likes

Yes.

I am curious about this Nadia / Candy Heart offspring. If I understand it correctly is there less IP issues with offpring since it is specific clones that are protected.

Also, since I can not find any pluerries here in Europe, I think seeds from a pluerry x pluerry cross would be interesting. (seeds less of a logistics and hygiene issue too)

BTW. Everywhere I read about pluerries they suggest plum or pluerry as pollinator. Would pluerry also pollinate cherry and/or be pollinated by cherry?

2 Likes

I’m not sure what IP is,but if it has to do with patents,the seeds are not covered,to my knowledge.The resulting plants though,can’t be sold,with the same names as the original.
I took a tour of Zaigers and their process is fairly simple and straightforward.Planting seeds in trays and trying them out,once they produce fruit.
Right now,the opinion probably is that Cherry pollen will only work with it’s kind,but that doesn’t mean people can’t try.

3 Likes

Correct, the patents are concerned with asexual propagation.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful tree.

1 Like

IP means intellectual property, patents are a form of IP, trade secrets is another form.

2 Likes

This is 4 years late, but I’m planning to graft Nadia to the neighbors curly peach trees, unless I hear that its a bad idea. That’s how I landed here, looking to see if people know how it does.

1 Like

I picked my 2nd gallon today out of about 3 that the tree bore this year.

They are juicy and soft with a sweet tart balance, a little more acid than sugar, haven’t measured brix but I’d guess 15 or 16. Will be interesting to check that.

I’ve noticed this year that the texture is very distinctively more cherry than plum. That hadn’t been as obvious to me in past years. Maybe the skin has more plum tartness, and it is cling stone.

tested one: 15 brix

5 Likes

Wow! This is from growing in a pot? Can I ask how you fertilize them?

1 Like

I use bone meal fertilizers and miracle gro water soluble all purpose plant food.

1 Like

Last year, I open-pollinated my Nanking cherry bush with various sources of pollen: peach, apricot, myrobalan plum, and myrobalan x Japanese hybrid. The pollination was a success and it produced a nice crop. Thus I tried to germinate the seeds by natural and artificial cold stratification, however, both methods failed. I believe it was probably due to hybridization incompatibility.

3 Likes

I probably try seedling Nadia open pollinated this year.

1 Like