Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

my stuff that was overset this year dropped a bunch on its own too. I almost over thinned a couple of them getting ahead of the May drop

I can send flavor grenade, the tree grew nicely. it had the 2nd best pluot set this year for me after sugar twist, seems like a winner

1 Like

Nadia fruit changing color.

5 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Does anyone know anything about black knot resistance in Nadias? Black knot is a HUGE problem here (essentially prevents me from growing any plums, they just get covered in the stuff in 2-3 years), so I’m curious if this is more susceptible like a plum or less susceptible like a cherry (which I have had no issue with).

My Nadias are also changing color.

5 Likes

I finally have one fruit developing on a Nadia seed pit planted about four years ago. It has no stem, is very pale and spherical, smaller than Nadia fruit. The leaves sort of resemble apricot, the stems are red-brown in color, like apricot leaf stems. It might be a cross with Candy Heart which was near by at the time. Candy Heart is about 50% apricot, the rest plum and a smaller amount of cherry from what I can recall on your research on the patent.

4 Likes

Where have you been? Miss you!

2 Likes

I’ve been busy with my online French class. I started in October and I finished it in March, but since I have a lifetime access to the class, I’m watching the videos again. And I’m also playing soccer with friends in the afternoons.

4 Likes

Here is one of your scions sent,of a Nadia/Candy Heart cross(?),Rich.I put the question mark in there,because it was labeled that way,when received about two years ago.
There are no fruit yet,but good growth and one of the few Plums,grafted to a Fantasia Nectarine,that wasn’t attacked by Curly Leaf Aphids.Maybe a little Shothole,though.

1 Like

The Howard Miracle Plum scions that you sent, grafted to Flavor Finale, has fruit on it like it did last season, thanks! The apricot scions did not survive though.

The cross in my photo has heart shaped leaves and reddish stems. If yours does then it is the same cross. It has lots of early blossoms, Candy Heart produces early blossoms too, an indicator of low chill requirements? I have found that every seed from plum varieties produced a unique fruit or none at all. It is a numbers game, should have planted at least ten at a time instead of a couple.

1 Like

If mine doesn’t produce fruit,I’ll graft on other varieties.The growth is fairly vigorous.

They are almost ripe.

8 Likes

Hi there itheweatherman. Just curious how good was your Nadia? Cant wait for mine to start bearing fruit.

1 Like

I apologize for not posting any updates. I’ve been busy with work and soccer. I play 4-5 times per week.

I picked these on June 21st. They were crunchy and juicy, the flavor was between Flavorosa pluot, Raspberry, and with a cherry after-taste.

I also left a few of them to fully ripen on the tree; And they over-ripen. They were mushy and with a fermented after-taste.

9 Likes

That’s from this year? Wow, mine are still green. We’ve had a long, cold spring.

Has anyone tried the aprikyra sand cherry x apricot hybrid?

From what I have read are hybrids with plum typically dominated by plum, so apricot might be interesting as an alternative.

3 Likes

@staalmannen … I would like to try the hybrid you mentioned but I do not think it is available in the US.

1 Like

I have the opposite problem - I can not find any sellers of pluerries in Europe. A red flesh pluerry like Nadia would be interesting.

The apikyra apparently also quite plum-like (sand cherry not a true cherry)

2 Likes

I do grow Aprikyra. Rootstock is St. Julien A, not the best choice for my sandy and dry soil. Its aprox 6 years in the ground and was slow to establish. Now it is doing fine. It flowers mid to late april in 7a. Late frosts are problematic for my tree. Because of that there is no crop this year.
Last year I had the first decent crop. The fruit is beautiful (yellow ground color with large patches of dark red). The fruit was of high quality, sweet with an interesting aroma.

Thats the tree in 04/25/2021

7 Likes

wow. Thanks for letting me know. I only saw a review on youtube claiming that it was plum-like. With your assessment I am definitely considering getting one.

1 Like