Nikita Pineapple Guava

Arrived from One Green World today :slight_smile:

13 Likes

That looks about like mine,that came from them,a few months ago.Yours will probably grow better there.bb

1 Like

You got lucky; nearly all the ones I saw there in April had frost damage.

1 Like

Planted in the ground this afternoon. Tomorrow I’ll put up a perimeter of 24" fencer wire and top the soil with 1" bark.

3 Likes

Nice. Are you planting another variety for cross-pollination?

No. If it’s not productive I’ll plant something else.

3 Likes

I’m waiting on a variegated kumquat from them at the end of the month. I can’t wait to get it! Yours looks great Richard.

1 Like

My Nikita grew very well and handled the winter easily.
It came in a 1 gallon and now upto 5 gallon. Will be going in the ground soon.
OTOH Alberts Pride was completely defoliated — hopefully still alive. I’m grafting many more varieties this year.

2 Likes

Today.

9 Likes

That’s about the size of my OGW ‘Apollo’ planted in 2018. Should be mature enough to bloom this year.

2 Likes

Yes, the buds are just starting to open. You can spot a few red petals among the lower right limbs.

That is a gorgeous tree! I just got a Nikita recently. I’m trying to get my hands on a few varieties for a nice row along the side of my house.

1 Like

Awhile back @Stan posted these recommendations from trials at his location just south of Tracy, CA.

Nikita — excellent flavor, early season, productive
Flavia — large fruit size, very good flavor
Triumph — large fruit size, very good flavor
Apollo — very good flavor, productive
Marion — large fruit size, excellent flavor
Albert’s Supreme — very good flavor, late season, productive

3 Likes

Yesterday.

8 Likes

If I have seeds from multiple fruits from one set of Nikita x Coolidge and grow them out will they pollinate each other or do I need an unrelated plant?

I’ve no idea. Perhaps someone else here has experience with this hybrid?

I’d expect them to pollinize one another assuming they bloom at the same time.

2 Likes

That’s so much further along than here! Mine haven’t even started bud swell yet. (Just to be clear I am not surprised by this difference, just bemoaning it)

2 Likes

Nothing happening in Portland feijoa-wise. Just tiny terminal buds that are noticeably alive.

3 Likes