Nikita Pineapple Guava

@ramv
Yalta UA 44.4909° N
Rangihaeata NZ 40.8119° S
Seattle WA 47.6062° N

Yes, Nikita should be suitable. In theory. Perhaps my micro-climate (micro-micro climate?) is to blame?

Also Yalta gets a lot of heat units. Unlike maritime Seattle.

Some of the early NZ varieties are often grown in Southland (Invercargill and Dunedin NZ) These places receive far less heat units than Seattle.

1 Like

Overall you have less solar hours and heat units than either of those places.

Growing degree days Invercargill NZ (Degrees days in Celsius over 10C)

|nvercargill|2019|747.7|
|Invercargill|2018|835|
|Invercargill|2017|679|

Dunedin

|Dunedin|2019|1037.6|
|Dunedin|2018|993.4|
|Dunedin|2017|887.5|

Seattle (from uspest.org)
is around 2700 -2800 most years (GDD 50 in degrees F) Note that 50F is the same as 10C

Applying the conversion factor of 5/9 – We are about 1500 units in degrees C. Much higher heat units than both places.

1 Like

They sell just scions now?

A tree is a selection of scions with roots.

1 Like

A problem I have with Nikita is that it almost always oversets and as the result fruits are very small. I have not figured out when it’s a right time to thin a feijoa.

1 Like

…the right time to thin is when the fruit first start enlarging. Wait until there is some size difference developing among fruits. If they are all sizing up equally, just pinch-thin clusters, or if twin fruits are abundant, pinch off one of each twin.

1 Like

I’m curious as to how sweet feijoas get in the south. I would love to see a brix test.
Here in the northern reaches of the PNW, 16 brix is quite unusual – usually they are around 12-14 brix here.

That was my experience at my former residence in Rancho Peñasquitos.

1 Like

I trimmed Nikita today. Here’s some before and after shots.

8 Likes

3/23.

5 Likes

5/17.

6 Likes

Similar plants here are just waking up, probably 4-6 weeks behind those pictured above.

Yeah, my established feijoa started growing leaves from stems in the last couple of days. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to tell which of my winter planted New Zealand ones are still alive above the graft union.

1 Like

Mine keeps freezing to ground every winter so no fruit. Planning on potting it up and keeping in greenhouse next winter.

8/3. Here’s a couple of the dozens of fruits developing on this tree.

3 Likes

Richard, did you ever get to weigh last year’s fruits? I was wondering what the average size of this variety was? Some descriptions say the fruit is medium-large, but some people say it is quite small…

1 Like

Surprisingly some of my fruit from the far north (Seattle) are about the same size. These are NZ varieties and some Mark Albert varieties.

Nikita, unfortunately has been a poor performer for me.

1 Like

There was one that I knew about, and during the winter I discovered a few more remnants.

Another member here who lives in Tracy CA recommended this plant and also commented about the smaller fruit. I’m interested in how the flavor will compare to the Lickver’s Pride I grew in Rancho Penasquitos.

2 Likes