Orchard ladder recomendations?

I understand there are different styles of orchard ladders? I am tired of moving my heavy, folding regular ladder around and with the 4 legs it can be hard to properly balance on irregular orchard land as well as difficult to get close to the tree with large laterals.

Can someone recommend what to look for in a good, aluminum orchard ladder? I am assuming an adjustable length 3rd leg? Do you have height recommendations 10’ vs 12’ vs 14’. I will probably need to transport on top of my SUV so leaning towards 12’. I am aiming to keep my trees to no taller than 15’

Going to need to buy in Canada but if you have specific brand recommendations I can check if I can get them here.

Thanks.

4 Likes

There was an extensive forum topic on ladders a couple of years ago, search for that.

1 Like

I recommended Hasegawa ladders in the other thread. They are quite expensive but very good. I have 2 of them now.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. Before posting I tried searching for “ladder” and of the first 50 results the only subject with ladders in it was this one: Wood Orchard Ladders. Do you have a link to the other thread?

2 Likes

My impression is any 3-legged aluminum orchard ladder you can get your hands on will be good. They are hard to source though. I have a 6’ and a 10’. I was trying to keep my trees low thus the 6’ but then the deer showed up so I am now using the 10’. I would say the 10’ will work for you as your body can do about 8’ and so if you are toward the top of the 10’ ladder you are at around 15’ off the ground. I never am wishing my 10’ was any taller and I have many 15’ trees.

2 Likes

Scott, are you taking your sprayer up the ladder and spraying while up there or spraying from the ground?

I use a four foot aluminum step ladder for picking and a regular taller ladder I use to spray. Would definitely get an orchard ladder if I came across one.

2 Likes

Thanks, that is really helpful. Seems that Hasegawa is popular and looks to have some pretty good options and there is a supplier about 1.5h away so I will probably go with that.

2 Likes

I just spray from the ground. I have a long wand extension and never need a ladder for spraying. Not much for pruning either, I have electric pruners on a long pole. For picking I need it for maybe a fourth of my fruit now but will be more in a few years.

3 Likes

Anyone using a fiberglass one like this? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-FTP-8-ft-Fiberglass-Type-1A-300-lbs-Capacity-Tripod-Step-Ladder/999921702

It’s about 10 lbs heaver then the aluminum ones, but probably half the price if you can get free shipping to a big box store

2 Likes

That ladder looks like it has very limited motion for the third leg. For me I find I need to have that third leg out a fair amount on hills. So, that one would be no go for me at least. I would really prefer to buy something via Lowes, the shipping is a real nose-bleed for these ladders if bought direct.

3 Likes

You’re probably right about the way it extends. The fiberglass ladder looks a little bulky and I would regret that 10 extra lbs after luging it around the orchard all day. Paid about $700 for a aluminum orchard ladder. It arrived badly damaged in shipment and had to be sent back. That got me second guessing the purchase.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’ve been very satisfied with the Stokes aluminum orchard ladders. I have a couple of sizes here - 8 ft. and 12ft. The larger one is a handful for me; I use it only for a mature Burbank plum that I inherited.

2 Likes

I saw this was from last year, so not sure if you found one. I have an 8’ and 12’ Strathmore, I couldn’t get by without them now. I got them from a local orchard that was part of an orchard co-op by me. I was lucky and didn’t have to pay shipping. That could be a source for you if there is anything like that near you though.

3 Likes

Yes they are a real pain to get if there is not a store nearby. I had one get damaged in shipment, I just took pictures and hammered it back into shape and got some money back from UPS.

I ordered another one recently, the shipping price was ridiculous and I almost cancelled the order. But I really need ladders now, my trees are finally getting above the deer.

2 Likes

just wanted to say I got a 12’ Hasegawa 2 years ago. It is fantastic, light (33 lbs) and super stable. The 3rd leg is easily adjustable for length. The 12’ is not too heavy for my currant age but it is awkward to move and especially to store. Standing on the 9-10’ step and being 6’ tall puts you WAY up there. I think an 8’ would have been a better choice as I am aiming for most of my trees to be kept at 12’ or so. For those that are taller adding my picking wand would be a fine compromise. Would have been lighter and easier to transport and move around.

I got mine from a tree trimming company who sells them on the side. I just e-mailed Hasegawa and asked them if they had anyone in my area as there was nothing listed on their website.

4 Likes

How much was the 12ft Hasegawa ladder?

2 Likes

At the time $750 Canadian. Now goes for $1000 I think. Well worth it in my opinion given how long it will last. Having the 3rd leg be height adjustable is super useful when your land is not perfectly flat.

2 Likes

There is a huge dealer markup. I got mine 6ft and 8ft for under $300 each. You need to shop carefully.

2 Likes

Well if you can find a better price in Canada I would love to hear about it! In the entire country I found one selling out of British Columbia and the other in Montreal. That is it.

And I would be interested to see in the USA where you got yours. A quick look showed all of the 12ft ones I saw above $600 USD.

2 Likes

Local dealers will usually have a better deal. Everyone wants to buy online with 1-Click these days.

Shopping for these needs to be the old fashioned way — find dealers and call one after another. Using a phone. I bought mine at local farm stores and irrigation supply stores.
My ex took the first couple. Then I got an even better deal.

1 Like