Ordering from Arboreum

A fortnight.Hopefully it won’t arrive on a horse drawn carriage. Brady

4 Likes

Brady,

I just laughed out loud.

This is why I never put my return address on the mail. It gets returned.

It is very easy for a postal poof to return your mail. Quite profitable for the bugger too.

But a letter that cannot be returned has to go to the ‘dead letter office’ and that means filing paperwork. Lazy buggers hate paperwork.

So it is easier for them to either open up the letter at their place to see if there is anything good inside, or to actually do their job and deliver the thing. BTW, there is no requirement for a zipcode…it should have been delivered.

So, three days ago (on March 10th), I’ve finally received the three trees I ordered from Arboreum. At least two of them have already broken dormancy, but I hope they will overcome being non-dormant and bareroot for a few days. The trees are of varying quality — the Prune is of average size for a bareroot tree, the Gage is below average, and the Nectarine is teeny-weeny. Here, for comparison, is the photo of the Arboreum bareroot Nectarine tree in my hand (just before it was planted) against Dave Wilson’s J. Plum tree that was bought bareroot from a local retail nursery and planted in mid-January. In addition to the huge size difference, the J. Plum tree has already bloomed, leafed out and accepted two Pluot grafts.

1 Like

Personally I would be very happy with that nectarine. I cut all my trees at my knee and remove all the branches anyway. So I just have a small “stick” sticking out of the ground. To me that is the perfect caliper tree for what I do with all my tree.

2 Likes

A thicker caliper would be nice.

However, those roots look nice!

1 Like

Did you get a heads up that they’d shipped?

I sent Arboreum out an email on Friday around noon eastern time to send me my trees as soon they can and I have yet to receive an email from them that they are going to send. I’ll let everyone here know if I hear from them by email that they are shipping them. I’ll also post when I receive the trees whether or not I receive an email from them.

Stan

What is your order number or numbers?
I am in a much colder region then you are and am happy that they didn’t send me my order before yours all though this year this month has been better then the last two! My order numbers are R046113236 (Sept. 19) and R788733050 (Oct. 2) from last year. I can’t make sense of the numbers…

I emailed them a couple weeks ago to say that if they didnt ship my order soon that they might as well keep the trees because it was getting so late in the season that they wouldnt make it. Got my trees last week. They all looked quite good. Dont honestly know if I will order from them again due to shipping so late. We really need to get our trees in January here in Phoenix.

The other issue with Arboretum for us is the rootstock they use. None of them are appropriate for Phoenix so I have to cut them up and graft them to proper rootstock. Its a real waste but there is no easy way to get ahold of the varieties they have short of cruising the CRFG scion exchanges…which would be its own expense from Phoenix.

They sent me an e-mail on Feb. 11 (see above) saying to expect trees in about two weeks. Actually, it took four weeks.

I don’t think order numbers have any meaning. I made my order on Nov. 30.

My Marconna Almond arrived today!

What an irony!
I was dreaming that I was at the Arboreum nursery and there was only four Almonds left, all had flower buds, so I grabbed the one with the most flower buds. Then, I decided to add one more tree to my order, a Moniqui White Apricot. Then, I hear a beep and another beep. I woke up, I hear the beep again, and got up. I peeked through the window to see what was going on, and it was the Fedex van. I put my shoes on, went outside, and I received my order. Uploading…

The tree is full of flower buds, luckly, I saved peach x almond pollen in the fridge to pollinate this almond.

1 Like

2 Likes

Nice looking tree.

1 Like

Well,whoopy doo.Mine came too! A Sierra and General Hand Plum.Nice roots.The Sierra is leafing out,but should be okay. Brady

3 Likes

Weatherman, I defintely ordered before you did.

Where my trees at?!

1 Like

I think they ship by zones?

I think they have a carefully planned shipping policy … for your trees to arrive the day after you totally gave up on ever getting them :smile:

10 Likes