Pakistan Mulberry in Zone 7 possible? (+ trying & growing PawPaws, Persimmons etc.)

If the Pakistan Mulberry survives, i will try to graft it on a Morus Alba “Lavendel” Rootstock.

I tried air layering on one branch,but that didn"t work.I may attempt again this year.
The first time,a complete ring of bark was removed,but now I"ll probably make a diagonal notch and keep it open with a piece of wood.This way was successful with a Fig once. Brady

Maybe try alcedo’s method? I’m experimenting a lot with air layers next season. I need to propagate a number of plants.

Bradybb

i had some good results with softwood cuttings vegetative reproduction of Morus alba, but not sure if this will work also for Pakistan mulberry. And it is easier to get some dormant mulberry cuttings and keep them to spring, with softwood cuttings you must work immediately. How long are your cuttings in soil now?

I’m in zone 5b and plan to try some of these mulberries too. I wanted to say hello, my family originally comes from Slovakia, we have been here now over 100 years. At that time it was Czechoslovakia. I’m a 2nd generation American now.
[/quote]

Hello Drew51 ,

it is nice to hear that your family comes from Slovakia, do you know some Slovak words like “ahoj” or “dobry den”? :slight_smile: just joking, but it is really kind that you replied. Hope you will have good experience with mulberry in zone 5b, it should be without problem with usual Morus alba or Morus nigra, there is one village here (maybe 5b zone) with more than 400 Morus nigra old trees in vicinity, really rare to be so spread in such small area, should it be environmental protected as historical heritage. Here, Morus species were introduced first for leaves production as a feed for Bombyx mori - silkworm, not primarly for good fruit quality. Some produce good tasting fruits but some of them are without fruits - maybe male plants. I know that there many new selection with bigger fruits and good taste of them.

Hope you will have good luck with both mentioned mulberry selections in your conditions. Lavender is slection special by sweetness of the fruits or their colour? We grow here mainly “wild type” of Morus alba, also in history there was botanically descriped special selection called Morus trnaviensis, but later they have found that it is Morus nigra origin, but not so fast growing and not so cold hardy as original M. nigra.

1 Like

Here is the description of the Lavender Mulberry:

Lavender: Great, sometimes racy white-colored lavender and very juicy fruits. Very rich-bearing. Very hardy. Ripens from mid June. The typical lavender color appears only in very ripe fruit hanging in the sun. One of the best varieties for our region.

5 Likes

Thank you Marvin for Sweet Lavender description, fruits look attractive…The leaves are nice heart shaped and so large? Not so typical for Morus alba I think. Maybe in several years you will taste your own sweet lavender fruits :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the plants survive and like our loamy soil … then i hope i will :slight_smile:

really nice to see people from other ‘corners’ of this earth. Welcome aboard @exoticSVK !
this forum is evidently going global!.

I think they were put in last Spring.
I have a misting and a fog box and may try to root some in them later on. Brady

Absolutely beautiful!

I heard the white mulberries are not that good, but if looks count that lavender looks awesome. Luckily that variety is available here. I might have to try it, but so many others I want to try. My conditions are not ideal in zone 5b. We have wild ones around here, and taste varies from terrible to wonderful. I always go to one tree and forage enough for a couple batches of jam. The fruits are way better than the same trees elsewhere. The wild tree though grows very tall, up to 60 feet.
I have a vacant lot at my cottage I want to plant, bush cherries, and mulberry trees. I need to clear it off, this year, an plan to plant trees in spring of 2018.

1 Like

whoah, that’s a mango tree’s size in the tropics!
in our hot and dry conditions here, the tallest albas seem to top off at 35-40 ft

I visited our property a few hours ago …

Damn moles making everything ugly :frowning:

and worrisome, as it makes one paranoid about what possible root damage they do underground

1 Like

thank you for kind greeting from you :sunglasses: hope we can exchange practical information about growing not so spread fruit species in different conditions, climate, etc…i found this topic about mulberry species very interesting.

could anyone advise to me realible source of pakistan mulberry, illinois everbearing or other big fruit mulberries seeds? Several months ago ordered some morus seeds from chinese eshop, but grown up something different, not mulberry :frowning: I would like to start Pakistan or Illionois everbearing mulberry from seeds, it is easy way how to propagate this species, if you have source of viable seeds. and that is crucial issue for germination. never mind, that seedlings are up to 60 feet, look beautiful!

Ya no kidding. Around here mounds that size close to fruit trees would mean the roots are going if not already gone.

Hmm, they always show up after a tree is planted…

I dont know why.

we do get some ‘volunteer-seedlings’ around our paks and other mulbs, but am afraid the results may just be the same as the morus seeds you got from the e-shop.

i am not even sure if it was our pak berries which dropped those viable seeds, and if they are viable, have never heard of them being grown that way. Grafting is probably the best bet for the morus seeds you’ve grown which you may now use as rootstock

The tallest trees around here are 120 feet. Red Maples, and various oaks. One mulberry tree very close to my cottage, is about 60 feet, the berries are all out of reach, the lowest branch is at about 20 feet. I think the tall maples and oaks make the rest of the trees grow as tall as possible. This mulberry I mention has to compete with them. My yard is almost in complete shade. I can’t grow much up there. Luckily I also have a canal lot that has full sun. I plan to clear that lot for the mulberry trees. I may add paw paws too, but they might not be happy in full sun?

Anybody try Wellington? Looks to be super hardy.