Pakistan Mulberry

Not sure about Zone 7 but lots of people are growing it here in Zone 8B.

I appreciate the feedback, I think I am going to keep it in a self watering container like my figs

Yeah that should work.
I really like the looks of Shangri La that Iā€™m also growing in a container. The heart shaped leaves are huge! Much bigger than any other I have and itā€™s on a little whip, whatā€™s a mature tree look like? Beautiful plant.

Prior to moving to my current house with a backyard, I kept a mulberry tree in a pot at my apartment. It fruited well. It should work out if you have a big enough pot. I would put it in a prime location until it finished fruiting, then tuck it away wherever.

6 Likes

My 5yo Paksitan took a -13Ā°C in the winter, and then has been defoliated by a late frost in the following spring, and recovered fine (but did not fruit)

1 Like

Wow great looking growth! Looks very fig-like

There are a lot of figs in the picture. The mulberry is on the left behind a fig. Its very healthy looking.

@carot has it right. Lots of things in that picture. 13 figs, 2 mulberries( 1 everbearing, 1 unknown), a large Yerba Mate plant hiding in the back right corner, Bay laurel back there somewhere, and a few other things. The plants and myself are happy to have a backyard now lol

3 Likes

Ha! My figs love mushroom compost do you have any container soil recommendations for mulberries?

That is excellent!..A well documented ā€˜Pakistanā€™ temperature hardiness just north of my location had a three year old ā€˜Pakistanā€™ having some branch dieback from a 9 degree C (16 F) winter night. Either your ā€˜Pakistanā€™ is tougher or the two extra years of age is critical.

How big was the pot? Iā€™m thinking of doing the same if these cuttings I recently potted take. That pomegranate looks nice too; I also potted some pomegranate cuttings. :wink:

They arenā€™t cold hardy in northern China at all, I guess they struggle in zones roughly translate to usda Zone 7 or 8.

Can Pakistan mulberry be propagated by cuttings? I picked up some scionwood from the CRFG scion exchange.

I havenā€™t try to root them yet but Drew had some success with mulbberry rootings. It is very easy to graft PM onto wild mulberry root stocks.

Tony

1 Like

Yes. Iā€™ve had about 33% success with 3 cuttingsā€¦

It seems the more tropical mulberries, the ones that like zone 7 and up root easier than the cold hardy types. Iā€™m going to buy some rootstock for them this spring and try next year grafting those types. Although not impossible to root. I traded for a rooted Silk Hope cutting, and the plant was big, and well rooted.

1 Like

I hope so, as I recently posted in another thread about trying my hand at some cuttings from a mulberry shrub I found growing on my island. Will update if the cuttings root.

1 Like

I know this is a old thread but I am wondering if anyone growing these have had seedlings popup . They would most likely be pollinated by alba or rubra mixes . Might make interesting hybrids that are hardier .

1 Like

Pakistan mulberry fruits are sizing up. Hopefully the birds will save me some to try.

Tony

4 Likes

So do you have yours in a pot?