Pecan varieties resistant to heat shock

Great! I think i’ll take a little bit more than a pound to eat a few and plant some. Now i need to find grafting material for next year :slight_smile:

1 Like

It takes a bit more time vince11. Pecans need 2 or 3 years to get big enough to graft. If you want to graft next spring, you need to purchase rootstocks.

1 Like

Vince, you were right, one of the two Hungarian nurseries responded to me.
This :

https://www.egzotikusdisznovenyek.hu/?s=Pekandio&post_type=product

And the seedlings whose price is 4,500 florins are seedlings born from seeds without grafts.
Grafted seedlings cost 25,000 forints (66 euros or dollars) plus the price of shipping from Hungary.
This nursery is not interesting, 66 euros for a 30-40 centimeter grafted plant is armed robbery.
We will wait for a response from the second nursery, which has sold out of grafted plants, to see what price they offer us.
But I’m afraid we’ll have no choice but to graft our trees ourselves.
What I am going to ask you is if you sell us graft cuttings of his varieties of pecan trees.
We can buy rootstock at Fruitex at a good price

Regards
Jose

1 Like

OK, good to know! Thanks you Darrel.
Yes that’s a bad news José…Hope he’ll accept to find some cuttings…

1 Like

I have family in Canada do you think it’s ok if he buy graft cuttings and send them to me? Is there a chance to transport desease? Having trouble at the border? Does the wood would be ok in for exemple a week of transport? (time to be in Europe…)
thanks for your advices.

But Vince these things are said before hahahaha.
Of course it is appropriate to send a package of graft cuttings from Canada.

No, there is no risk, as long as certain guidelines are followed.

• That the plant material comes from a nursery (there are nurseries that sell cuttings for pecan grafting), or from a plantation, where there is good phytosanitary status.
  • It is convenient and I would say mandatory, to carry out the disinfection and hydration process, to have the cuttings free of germs and possible eggs laid by some insect (it can be done upon receipt of the cuttings at your home).
    This process :

Spain, for reasons of drug trafficking, has had the tightest customs in the world for some years, and it is quite difficult to introduce plant material without being detected.
I have a method for sending to third countries that is very effective, and customs does not detect packages with parcels (I don’t know if it is very correct to open a post to make this type of explanation), but I can explain you with photographs by message private.
In the event that customs detects the package, there is no type of economic or criminal responsibility for either the sender or the recipient, customs simply sends you a letter so that if you want to pick up the package, you can send them the requested documentation , you no respond to that letter, and they destroy the package and nothing more.

Absolutly " YES " , the normal period of time for a shipment from the United States or Canada is around 10 days, and since it is sent in the middle of winter and the cuttings are perfectly wrapped in plastic kitchen film, they do not suffer from dehydration and will arrive in perfect condition , to be disinfected, rehydrated and refrigerated until the moment of grafting in spring.

Regards
Jose

Sorry if it was already said i’m just discovred the forum a few days before :slight_smile: I tried to send you a private message but i can t find where it is! I need to check if i can buy rootstock to fruitex first!
Thank you for those informations!

Hi! Anyone knows a website where i can see how much chilling hours i have where i live? I can’t find one… Thank you!!!

1 Like

This Article has some maps of chilling units

1 Like

Hi Vince.
Yes, you can see approximately what your climate is like and have an idea of the cold hours.

This is the Carcassonne climatic table (for food lovers Carcassonne is a paradise), I put the link in English.

https://en.climate-data.org/europe/france/languedoc-roussillon/carcassonne-7870/

From my point of view you have two points in your favor, and two very strong points against you.

Points in your favor:

• The cold hours are all those hours lower than 7° C (44.60° Fahrenheit), cumulative during the winter, and during the nights of December, January, February, and half of October you have lower temperatures, so you accumulate enough hours of cold for the pecan tree.
  • You do not have frost in spring or autumn, and this is very favorable

Points against you:

• Your summer is not excessively hot and you do not even exceed 30° C (86° Fahrenheit), in the warmest months of July and August.

• Your big problem is humidity, since you have rain in spring and summer, with only one month without precipitation in the month of July (this is terrible for the pecan tree and you will need to choose varieties that are extremely resistant to fungal diseases).

This is my opinion, but Darrell will give you the final verdict.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Yes, vince11 needs scab resistance as a primary selection criteria. I suggested some good varieties above. All can handle the climate and all are scab resistant.

Adams #5
Amling
Hark
Kanza
Lakota
Oswego
1 Like

Hi everybody!
Thanks Horna but i live in france and this website doenst have info for France, but thanks anyway :slight_smile:
José those datas are really weird. Believe me the max temperature in summer isn’t 27. It’s 3/4 years that maximum is around 40… And it’s 2/3 years that rainfalls is around 500mm. But that show that chilling hours will not be a problem.
But yes i think scab resistance is really important. The cultivar that i want to have would be lakota, kanza, hark for sure. What about Sheperd? I read that it’s scab resistant and consistent producer. Or oswego is more scab resistant?
I’m in touch with Ramon from fruitex, i hope he’ll be ok to sell me rootstock and i’ll try to ask william reid for scion wood via someone in the us. fingercrossed :slight_smile:
Thanks everybody for being so reactive and accurate with my questions!

1 Like

Sheperd is only scab tolerant in the midwest U.S. where rainfall is under 30 inches/year. Pecan Cultivars-Shepherd

I don’t know if Bill Reid can ship scionwood to Europe.

1 Like

Ok so forget about sheperd :slight_smile: No he’s shipping only in the usa but i will ask him to send it to someone in the usa who will send it to me…

1 Like

Darrell, I assure you that Vince will not be able to obtain scions from any American organization or person legally, and I will explain why.
Imagine that Vince try to receive a package whit scions sent by an official organization such as the U.C. Davis, and the cuttings are declared in the package with your phytosanitary passport for Europe and everything is in order.
But for Vince to be able to pick up the package he must be registered in the French register of importer of plant material (tremendously complex and expensive).
So the only way is to receive the packajes is by ordinary regular mail.

Given that the exchange of cuttings between our continents is carried out (we must not be hypocritical), I consider that the best thing would be to open a post, not to encourage carrying out these practices, but yes to explain, if it is carried out, how it should be done, to have the maximum phytosanitary guarantee, and how to properly prepare the cuttings and packages .

That’s Vince, and since you are going to use the ordinary postal mail method, I should show you how you should do it to have the maximum phytosanitary guarantees and guarantee the receipt of the package as much as possible (our countries are in a state of alert 5, for security reasons due to Jihadist terrorism), and it is quite difficult to get past customs.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

José, i read your post about how to prepare scion wood and it’s really interesting! I’ll need to do that to be sure to not carry anything here. I’ll try to get scion wood like these, but i don’t think i’m the first one. I really hoped that the hungarian guy would be able to sell us scion wood but he’s not answering our mail and those variety who could work for me here are (i think) impossible to find in europe…
Thank you José for your advices for the post mail method! If everything work the way i hope, say me if you want some wood and i’ll send it to you.

1 Like

Vince, the person who is going to send you the cuttings, does not need to carry out the entire hydration and disinfection process, you will already do that at home when you receive the cuttings, the problem lies in preparing a package with the cuttings well prepared to avoid dehydration or mold rot, and be absolutely credible for the customs, even being scanned by x-ray, and that is what I want to teach you and the rest of the forum colleagues.
Extremely frustrating for both parties to send a package of cuttings and be destroyed by the customs.
The person who sends must waste his time cutting the cuttings in his orchard, often buying trees in nurseries to cut cuttings, preparing the package and spending money on shipping costs.
The person who receives will have purchased rootstocks, and will have sent money (normally by Western Union) to cover the costs of purchasing trees in nurseries and shipping costs.
The two people involved are two passionate people who hope that everything will go well.
And if customs detects and destroys the package, it is tremendously frustrating for both of us, since you have to wait a whole year to repeat the operation.
That is why proper preparation of the package is of vital importance, so that it goes unnoticed by the customs.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

I visited E.V. Smith research farm and collected about 85 pounds of pecans. Varieties include:

1. Adams #5 - very high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, small nut, good kernel quality
  2. Amling - very high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, medium size, good kernel quality
  3. Apalacheee - small nut, excellent quality, wanted to sample these
  4. Elliiott - high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor, small size, good kernel quality
  5. Kanza - high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor, small size, good kernel quality
  6. Lakota - medium scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor, medium size, excellent rootstock
  7. Syrup Mill - high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor medium size, excellent eating quality

I chose these varieties for good quality kernels and rootstock potential.

Wished you could have joined me Jose. You would have loved it. There were @700 pecan trees of about 50 varieties to choose from on a beautiful sunny fall day with temperature about 25C.

Do you have something similar to these? https://nutwizard.com/ I use a medium size to pick up pecans and a large for walnuts. It saves a ton of time. It took me 3.5 hours to harvest 85 pounds of pecans. I was not rushing.

1 Like

Hi Darrel! Thanks for sharing this experience! Let me know how we’ll manage everything for the nut :slight_smile: Thanks!

www.fruitiers-rares.info/articlesA-177a182/article178-Carya-illinoinensis-Pacanier-observations-cutlure.html
Here is a link to copy paste (i can’t share links, don’t know why…) It’s a french guy near the miditerranea sea who planted trees(ultra northern and southern) more than 10 years ago and share the thing that happen in his orchad year after year. That can be interesting for European people…

1 Like

His varieties are: Campbell NC 4, Carlson 3, Deerstand, Fisher, Lucas, Warren 346, Apache, Delmas, Mahan, Mohawk, and Burton hican. From his descriptions, all are unadapted to his climate. Far north varieties break bud too early and deep south varieties mature too late. Large nuts are blown off his trees by strong late summer wind. Based on this information and presuming your climate is similar, the varieties I suggested above are excellent possibilities. Kanza and Hark in particular should perform well in your climate.

Also, he got variety advice from Ernie Grimo. Ernie has a much colder climate and suggested varieties better adapted to northern France and Belgium. Your climate is heavily influenced by the Mediterranean with cooler summers and occasional intense cold in winter.

1 Like