Pecan varieties resistant to heat shock

Hi everybody!
Thanks Horna but i live in france and this website doenst have info for France, but thanks anyway :slight_smile:
JosĆ© those datas are really weird. Believe me the max temperature in summer isnā€™t 27. Itā€™s 3/4 years that maximum is around 40ā€¦ And itā€™s 2/3 years that rainfalls is around 500mm. But that show that chilling hours will not be a problem.
But yes i think scab resistance is really important. The cultivar that i want to have would be lakota, kanza, hark for sure. What about Sheperd? I read that itā€™s scab resistant and consistent producer. Or oswego is more scab resistant?
Iā€™m in touch with Ramon from fruitex, i hope heā€™ll be ok to sell me rootstock and iā€™ll try to ask william reid for scion wood via someone in the us. fingercrossed :slight_smile:
Thanks everybody for being so reactive and accurate with my questions!

1 Like

Sheperd is only scab tolerant in the midwest U.S. where rainfall is under 30 inches/year. Pecan Cultivars-Shepherd

I donā€™t know if Bill Reid can ship scionwood to Europe.

1 Like

Ok so forget about sheperd :slight_smile: No heā€™s shipping only in the usa but i will ask him to send it to someone in the usa who will send it to meā€¦

1 Like

Darrell, I assure you that Vince will not be able to obtain scions from any American organization or person legally, and I will explain why.
Imagine that Vince try to receive a package whit scions sent by an official organization such as the U.C. Davis, and the cuttings are declared in the package with your phytosanitary passport for Europe and everything is in order.
But for Vince to be able to pick up the package he must be registered in the French register of importer of plant material (tremendously complex and expensive).
So the only way is to receive the packajes is by ordinary regular mail.

Given that the exchange of cuttings between our continents is carried out (we must not be hypocritical), I consider that the best thing would be to open a post, not to encourage carrying out these practices, but yes to explain, if it is carried out, how it should be done, to have the maximum phytosanitary guarantee, and how to properly prepare the cuttings and packages .

Thatā€™s Vince, and since you are going to use the ordinary postal mail method, I should show you how you should do it to have the maximum phytosanitary guarantees and guarantee the receipt of the package as much as possible (our countries are in a state of alert 5, for security reasons due to Jihadist terrorism), and it is quite difficult to get past customs.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

JosĆ©, i read your post about how to prepare scion wood and itā€™s really interesting! Iā€™ll need to do that to be sure to not carry anything here. Iā€™ll try to get scion wood like these, but i donā€™t think iā€™m the first one. I really hoped that the hungarian guy would be able to sell us scion wood but heā€™s not answering our mail and those variety who could work for me here are (i think) impossible to find in europeā€¦
Thank you JosĆ© for your advices for the post mail method! If everything work the way i hope, say me if you want some wood and iā€™ll send it to you.

1 Like

Vince, the person who is going to send you the cuttings, does not need to carry out the entire hydration and disinfection process, you will already do that at home when you receive the cuttings, the problem lies in preparing a package with the cuttings well prepared to avoid dehydration or mold rot, and be absolutely credible for the customs, even being scanned by x-ray, and that is what I want to teach you and the rest of the forum colleagues.
Extremely frustrating for both parties to send a package of cuttings and be destroyed by the customs.
The person who sends must waste his time cutting the cuttings in his orchard, often buying trees in nurseries to cut cuttings, preparing the package and spending money on shipping costs.
The person who receives will have purchased rootstocks, and will have sent money (normally by Western Union) to cover the costs of purchasing trees in nurseries and shipping costs.
The two people involved are two passionate people who hope that everything will go well.
And if customs detects and destroys the package, it is tremendously frustrating for both of us, since you have to wait a whole year to repeat the operation.
That is why proper preparation of the package is of vital importance, so that it goes unnoticed by the customs.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

I visited E.V. Smith research farm and collected about 85 pounds of pecans. Varieties include:

1. Adams #5 - very high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, small nut, good kernel quality
  2. Amling - very high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, medium size, good kernel quality
  3. Apalacheee - small nut, excellent quality, wanted to sample these
  4. Elliiott - high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor, small size, good kernel quality
  5. Kanza - high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor, small size, good kernel quality
  6. Lakota - medium scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor, medium size, excellent rootstock
  7. Syrup Mill - high scab and zonate leaf spot resistance, good flavor medium size, excellent eating quality

I chose these varieties for good quality kernels and rootstock potential.

Wished you could have joined me Jose. You would have loved it. There were @700 pecan trees of about 50 varieties to choose from on a beautiful sunny fall day with temperature about 25C.

Do you have something similar to these? https://nutwizard.com/ I use a medium size to pick up pecans and a large for walnuts. It saves a ton of time. It took me 3.5 hours to harvest 85 pounds of pecans. I was not rushing.

1 Like

Hi Darrel! Thanks for sharing this experience! Let me know how weā€™ll manage everything for the nut :slight_smile: Thanks!

www.fruitiers-rares.info/articlesA-177a182/article178-Carya-illinoinensis-Pacanier-observations-cutlure.html
Here is a link to copy paste (i canā€™t share links, donā€™t know whyā€¦) Itā€™s a french guy near the miditerranea sea who planted trees(ultra northern and southern) more than 10 years ago and share the thing that happen in his orchad year after year. That can be interesting for European peopleā€¦

1 Like

His varieties are: Campbell NC 4, Carlson 3, Deerstand, Fisher, Lucas, Warren 346, Apache, Delmas, Mahan, Mohawk, and Burton hican. From his descriptions, all are unadapted to his climate. Far north varieties break bud too early and deep south varieties mature too late. Large nuts are blown off his trees by strong late summer wind. Based on this information and presuming your climate is similar, the varieties I suggested above are excellent possibilities. Kanza and Hark in particular should perform well in your climate.

Also, he got variety advice from Ernie Grimo. Ernie has a much colder climate and suggested varieties better adapted to northern France and Belgium. Your climate is heavily influenced by the Mediterranean with cooler summers and occasional intense cold in winter.

1 Like

Darrel you perfecly understood my climate :slight_smile: That 's interesting conclusionā€™s before choosing cultivars in Europe. I thought that could be interesting for some people. And yes iā€™m pretty confident that those carieties will work. Now i have to find them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Darrell, of course I would have given a little finger to have been able to visit that pecan plantation with you.
I hope that in a few years he can enjoy growing pecan trees in my orchard.
The other day you said an expression that is used a lot in Spain when two things have certain similarities, and you said that the European walnut tree (jugalans regia) was the ā€œsecond cousinā€ of the pecan tree (carya illinoiensis).
So it must be assumed that if an area is suitable for the European walnut tree, it must also be suitable for the pecan tree by choosing the appropriate varieties.

This is a ā€œsmallā€ walnut tree I have in the back of a building at my company.

So I have no doubt that the pecan trees will get this big in my orchard.

By the way Darrell, you could have warned me before that type of rollers for collecting nuts existed, and it is also available in Spain in three sizes (for small, medium and large nuts)

Because every year it breaks my back bending down to pick up nuts from the ground, Iā€™m the dumbest guy in the world hahahahaha.
What is not available in Europe and I will have to buy in the United States, is a good pecan shell splitter, and I remember that you sent me a photograph of a pecan shell splitter, which you sent to a friend we have in common and it was a really good device.

I already have 30 Riverside rootstocks reserved, to see if there is any luck (fingers crossed) and they can be grafted in spring.

Iā€™m going to open a post with a fairly effective method for packages to cross customs without being detected, I think youā€™ll like it.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

Jose, you will need one small (pecan) and one medium (walnut) and 1 large (apples and peaches) as shown in roll-in fruit collector | roll-in: collecting made easy

One thing friends who grow trees can do is help you spend money! :slight_smile:

Also, would you like me to ship some of these pecans to your address? Shipping will be expensive, about $93 for 10 pounds.

2 Likes

Darrell for nuts, both walnuts and pecans, I will need a medium or small one (walnut collector rollers are not excessively expensive),
But my peaches usually weigh more than 400 grams (0.8 pounds or more), and those canā€™t be picked with the rolling pin hahahaha.
Remember to post a photo of the pecan nut splitting device ( like that have Dax ) , it is wonderful and eventually I will need to buy one.
I have about 5 kilos of Pawnee pecan nuts (they are delicious), which my friend Antonio Benito brought home.
And I have solved the rootstock every years with the Fruitex nursery.
I am like when I started growing pluots, with a tremendous enthusiasm for pecan trees.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

I think you already know Jose but Ramon told me itā€™s wichita seedling he use for the rootstock.

1 Like

I wrote him too, asking for rootstocks, and he said to me the same. I think that JosĆ© said that they donā€™t usually sell to ā€œlittle buyersā€.

1 Like

Jose, Pecan trees typically get 20 to 25 meters tall by the time they are 30 years old. Please donā€™t expect them to be small like your walnut! Grow them at spacing of 10 meters in a triangle pattern and thin them at 20 to 25 years old. When they are 50 years old, thin again leaving no more than 18 trees per hectare.

1 Like

Only 25 meters high, what small trees hahahahahaha.
A question Darrell.
The pecan tree has good production, increasing over the years, or when they are quite old does it usually decline, reducing the harvest?

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Production as trees age is variety dependent. Stuart holds the current record for trees 65 years old or more with about 400 pounds per tree. No other pecan variety produces so many pecans at that age. With excellent care, a pecan can average producing 50 pounds at 10 years old and 150 pounds per tree at 20 years old. I have some older documents on paper (never been placed on the internet to my knowledge) that break down production potential for several varieties. For a visual comparison, 400 pounds of pecans would fill a cubic meter and would yield about 200 pounds of edible pecan nutmeat.

Pecan trees can reach 100 meters tall, produce 500 kilograms of nuts in a good year, and live for 300 years. Most trees donā€™t get that tall or produce that many nuts or live 300 years.

1 Like

I think you meant to say 100 feet, not meters. Unless someone has crossed a pecan with a sequoia?

:joy::+1:

Older pecan trees in my area regularly get to 80-100 feet.

1 Like

100 meters is correct though no currently living trees are that tall. One of the tallest is in Vicksburg Mississippi. You are correct that most pecans top out around 100 feet tall.

2 Likes