Persimmons 2024

So to guarantee no winter damage through the entire lifetime of a kaki you would need to be 7b or above… It’s too bad Cliff isn’t a zone higher. He could grow all the persimmon then.

4 Likes

Well for those of us z5ers I think we’re pretty grateful that he can focus his attention on DV and hybrids!

2 Likes

I’m actually in zone 5 (well 5b). Cliff (6b) though straddles the zones between hybrids and kakis. There are many hybrids that grow marginal even at Cliffs, and those that do well aren’t stressed to 5a or 5b, so it is a bit of a guinea pig experience if you’re in Z5, even though they may do fine at Cliff’s place.

3 Likes

Yeah it looks like I’m about 100 or 150 miles northwest of you, so any hybrid I put in the ground here is decidedly a stress test. Hence, for this year I’m grafting a few DV cultivars I picked up from Red Fern, and then a Kasandra and I’ll probably grab a JT-02 and maybe pick up one or two more hybrids pending availability. But for now the hybrids are going in 15 gallon pots on my south wall, and then in my garage for winter.

Next year when I have a bit more experience grafting them I’ll probably try and stress test a few hybrids in the ground, though the past two winters here wouldn’t have been much of a stress test!

2 Likes

I’m grafting:

V. Derevyanka, Tam Kam, Mount Goverla, Nikita’s Gift, Morris Burton, Chibacha, Picudo/Costata, Jin Yong tai Gam, Rojo Brilliante, Sosnovskaya, Kujinaja, Saijo

I already have Saijo, Morris Burton, Rosseyanka, Dar Sofiyivkiy, and Hunters Dream

I purchased 25 rootstocks so I can avoid having grafts all over my back yard and garden. I also have several seedlings grown last year and a few just started from seed.

3 Likes

I received Jin Yong Tam Kam this year as a replacement for one that was not in stock. Can someone provide more info on this? Is it the same as Tam Kam?

1 Like

Im in 9b. I have a 3 year old Suruga, and a newly planted Jiro, Gosho, Chocolate, and Coffeecake! No fruit on my Suruga yet but it’s in a terrible spot that only gets about 4 hours of direct sun.

1 Like

I did a late trade a few weeks back… JT02 scions for Saijo.

Any of you zone pushers know details on exactly how cold hardy Saijo is ?

At my place this winter my low was 2-3 F… we got a 3F last winter too. The last two winters lows were much colder than the lows fir the previous 10 years.

But my place is up on a ridge top…

My daughters place is off in a deep hollow next to a creek… and her lows easily run 5 degrees or more… colder than mine.

I transplanted a wild DV to her place a few weeks back… it will probably start leafing out late April… and i will graft something to it.

I have scions saved or traded for of JT02, Kassandra, Saijo… H118, H63A.

I am sure americans H118, H63A would be fine there cold hardiness wise.

What about Saijo ? Kassandra ?

Thanks

1 Like

I just read Cliffs notes on Kasandra… it tested to -16F at his place with no winter damage.

That one should be good at her down in the hollow creekside location.

What about Saijo ?

1 Like

Only one data point from me. I have a Saijo tree at Hamilton Alabama that is healthy and thriving. It survived the cold last winter and appears to be doing fine through this winter. Last winter low was about 3F and this winter was around 5F.

2 Likes

I see several nurseries listing Saijo as zone 6-9… A few others 7-9.

Some that listed temps ranged from -10F to 0F.

Sounds like Saijo would be risky at their location.

Kassandra or JT02
H118, H63A

I will let them choose between those

Thanks

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee I think is in the process of moving. I wonder what happened to all his kakis. I haven’t heard from him in a while.

You should send an email or call @KYnuttrees. I think he was the original source.

2 Likes

Yeah, the forum definitely skews colder, northerly zoned. I don’t know if it’s because of zone-pushers being more active on forums, or if there are just more gardeners in zones 7 and below than 8 and above.

In any event, I’m in zone 8. Technically 8a, both before and after the recent USDA update, but 8b is just down the street from me. For pure Kakis I have Saiju, Coffeecake, Chocolate, and Tam Kam. I don’t protect them from cold, and as far as I can tell I will never need to. Persimmon psyllids, though, I have to protect them from, and probably the deer once they figure out how tasty almost-ripe persimmons are… (I need to buy a crossbow or something). Planning to collect wild DV seeds this fall for seedlings so I can graft some new trees down the line.

1 Like

@a_Vivaldi – FWIW, deer here eat persimmon foliage. You need to fence the trees until branches get higher than 7’. Hunting can help reduce numbers, but not enough. The herd can leave your trees alone for months, then decimate them in a single evening. A season of growth can disappear in a flash. Of course, this applies to other fruits too, such as apples and pears.

2 Likes

Even though there isn’t a huge native population of American persimmon here. Our deer do the same thing. I wonder if it’s the smell. Even on mature trees, I see them take a good chunk of leaves off.

1 Like

Oh yeah, this is very true.

So far, while they’ve been a plague of biblical proportions to my brambles and mulberries, they’ve left the persimmons alone. I’m not banking on them always doing so, just thankful they haven’t yet attacked them. Giant, legally protected rats…

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee
We received Jin Yong Tan Gam it is named as it was when received if from Korea as that Name is registered in the Horticulture Ministry in South Korea It is a Non-Astringent type

We have had it for about 8 year and when it is not Touched by the Cold or Freezing events, we get really nice fruit from it,

6 Likes

Thank you @KYnuttrees! Excited to be adding it.

1 Like

Not the same. JY ripens 2 weeks earlier than Tam Kam. Similar tree form but my Tam Kam is at least 3 times more productive. The fruit morphology is identical.

3 Likes

On the same rootstock?