Plant identification please

Looks like vetch to me .
Photo of hog peanut seedling from the web

Amphicarpaea bracteata

2 Likes

Thanks! I thought it might be vetch—American vetch (Vicia americana) maybe. I hope the seller just didn’t know any better—although the foliage is nothing alike.

Is this a Currant?I encountered the bush,while walking to the post office today.

1 Like

Gooseberry or currant- as I recall the distinctions lead to battles among botanists.

1 Like

Anyone know the name of this ?
Found in Southern Guatemala ,years ago.
Looks like monarda sp. ?
The stem goes right through the flower “ ball” , with several flowers on a stem , several inches apart.
Would love to Know the name, get seed / plants of this.
Very striking !

1 Like

Leonotis nepetifolia

2 Likes

Thanks that looks like it !

This has been coming up from some composted wood chips I brought here years ago.
Have never seen anywhere else around here.
Anyone know the name ?

@Hillbillyhort … american hog peanut… thrives in soil with high calcium levels… so does maiden hair fern, bainberry, black and blue cohosh… called calcicoles.

I only know about that because i am an educated ginseng hunter and grower. Calcicoles are indicators… or pointers for locating ginseng.

If you see ameican hog peanut thriving on a wooded hillside… good chance seng is near by.

2 Likes

Is there maybe another common name? This looks nothing like the photos posted by @Hillbillyhort so I’m guessing there’s more than one species with the common name “hog peanut”?

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/savanna/plants/hog_peanut.html

This is what Google Lens says, which looks at least close:

Eclipta prostrata
Pie Plant, False Daisy, Eclipta

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ECPR

https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/species/amphicarpaea/bracteata/

American hog peanut…
Got lots of it here on my place.

The plant in that link has flowers that look like this:

The plant @Hillbillyhort posted has flowers that look like this:

2 Likes

I was not trying to id any unknown plant… just giving a detail about american hog peanut… since it was also mentioned.

1 Like

That looks like a match .

Thanks

Like this?

1 Like

I actually bought one which I’m keeping in a planter for the neighborhood hummingbirds… We don’t have them around here and I don’t intend to let the seeds stay around to be the cause.

That said… I’d gladly take a “native invasive” over all the mile a minute and oriental bittersweet currently climbing the trees all over western PA.

Can anyone ID this? I thought it looked like some kind of Prunus but it’s weird that it still has its leaves when all the cherries and peaches and such that I know of have long since dropped their leaves. The leaves are also rather large, I guess. It appears to be a volunteer in a neighbor’s parking strip:

2 Likes

Not sure but, I still have one plum that its leaves are just starting to yellow and that was a Shiro that was freshly grafted this season. My full grown Shiro dropped its leaves weeks ago.

I also have suckers from a plum tree that have leaves as well.im not sure what the rootstock might be, but the leaves resemble peach leaves.

1 Like

Strangely, my contender, hw272, and Indian free are all still holding onto their leaves. I plan to give them until new years then manually defoliate them.

And all my pluerry have those lenticle looking spots on the stems just like that. That might be worth potting to see…:eyes:

2 Likes

It has been pretty mild I guess. My only peach (Oregon Curlfree) dropped most of its leaves more than a month ago and the last few straggler leaves dropped a week or two ago. There are 4 species of cherry on my block that are also fully defoliated. I don’t know of any plums or interspecies hybrids in my neighborhood, though, to compare.

I’ll ask the neighbor if they know what it is, it’s possible they even planted it intentionally, but it seems too close to the street to be on purpose. Could have been a human-discarded pit or squirrel-stashed seed, though.