Please help identity this tree

Hi, I have been trying to have this tree identified for several years. At least twice in this forum. But I don’t think it is what was said. As the tree grow up to 10 ’ tall in a shade. I need to do something about it. If it is a fruit tree, I will find room for it and graft scion onto it so it will be fruitful. If it is not a fruit tree then I will chinsaw it. Here are the pictures of its leafs, bark, the branches.
The young leafs in shade has reddish color but those under the sun are green. The bark is grey-green

3 Likes

Looks llike a callery pear. @clarkinks , what do you think?

5 Likes

Is there any chance of being a apple tree? I can use a apple/crabapple for rootstock

2 Likes

I would put at it 99% pear. Do you have ornamental pears around your neighborhood?

4 Likes

@sockworth @IL847

It is a pear

2 Likes

About half mile away there are callery pear trees.

I’m not sure it’s a callery seedling, but it’s sure not an apple.

2 Likes

Is it possible a Cottonwood tree? There is big one not too far away from me.

Sorry, everything in the pictures is screaming “pear”. Pl@ntnet also think it’s a pear, or possibly hawthorn (but I would put it at a minute chance).

2 Likes

@IL847

It is a pear, it is not a cottonwood.

3 Likes

@IL847, I concur with the opinions voiced above that it is some variety of a pear tree. As soon as I saw the thorn-like projections in this picture it screamed to me “pear”.

3 Likes

Callery/Bradford pear! That zig-zag branch with the spikes… Looks just like the ones I have and I’ve had people out to evaluate my trees.

Graft pear!!! see @clarkinks’s post about grafting callery.

1 Like

Thanks all. I am happy to hear another fruit tree growing in the yard. It’s time to take out the knife, parafilm,and scions

4 Likes

@IL847

The leaves are interesting. Take a look at the dots on the bark. The limbs and the thorns.
Screenshot_20230428_202553_Samsung Internet

Serrated leaves are more charecteristic of asian pear than callery

The baby pears on this thread are part asian pear i think and part improved kieffer or duchess D’ Angoulme
The next great pear or apple

@clarkinks, I agree about the leaves being unusual. I see a great many Bradford and Callery pear in my line of work, and I am not accustomed to seeing the red edges, nor the serrations on the edge of the leaf.

4 Likes

Many years ago, I posted its picture here. It was identified as apricot. But the more I looked at it, the less I think it is apricot.

1 Like

@IL847

What type of pear wood do you have to graft on?

@IL847

When a pear has some callery genetics some leaves will have a unique wavy pattern.

1 Like

It is undoubtedly a pear. I have several Pyrus Ussuriensis rootstocks I never grafted that have got about that size, and they look very similar. Not saying that is for sure the exact species of pear it is, but it is something like that

3 Likes

Clark, I still have Korea Giant scion in refrigerator. If this tree is a pear tree I will graft it to the tree

5 Likes