Questions not deserving of a whole thread

I’m not sure about the hole in the bag, but I will suggest investing in some “Mosquito Bits” to sprinkle over the soil of indoor plantings to curb a possible fungus gnat infestation.

1 Like

I was just reading about fungus gnat and all the trouble they can cause. Thank you so much for this tip!!

1 Like

Do you know if fruit flies can also be an issue on indoor fruit growing?

I haven’t experienced fruit flies from indoor planting. I kept the plantings indoors during winter and moved them outside during warmer weather. I did have a large number of fungus gnats that I believe came from a plant that was previously outdoors and then spread to the new pots. The mosquito bits eventually killed them off, but I used it too late and the larva already had done damage. I would suggest using it early on as a preventative.

1 Like

Ive already purchased from amazon, thank you again! I think I’m going to make a formal post with progress updates since I couldn’t find too much specific information on what Im trying to do.

So this is an American persimmon, NC-10. Planted bare root about 1 month ago or so, the tips have died off though. It appears further growth has restarted on one limb, which is encouraging but I’m not certain its ok. Does anyone know what may cause tip death, (new growth turned black/dried and fell). Heavy mulched area with decent spring rain, maybe the rains did not soak deep enough? Zone 6b, cool wet springs and mild dry summers typically. Cheers for any insights.

2 Likes

Jordan:
If you haven’t seen it, Check my recent related post and responses on persimmon leaves turning crispy and black.
No additional progress since I posted.
Fran

Does anyone have experience using organic fertilizers on houseplants? I know it has a bit of an odor in general but does that dissipate once watered in?

Insects will eat the growth tips out like that. It will start growing again. I have used fertilizer like miracle grow to encourage extra growth if it’s not too far into the growing season to do so.

1 Like

How tall can gooseberries get? My dad is camping in eastern Oregon and sent me a picture of a gooseberry at the RV campground along the highway. It’s a monster. My mom was standing next to it, and I’d guess it’s about 12 feet tall, if not taller. They said it had a bunch of fruit but that it wasn’t ripe yet.

Any idea which cultivar gets this large?

could also be a jostaberry. Those can get pretty huge, and the unripe fruit look really like goosberries.

Does it have spikes?

I’ll try to ask in the morning.

yeah ive never heard of pure gooseberry bushes getting over 5ft. here. id guess its a natural hybrid like Oscar said.

It doesn’t have any thorns.

Here are some close up pics. I’m not so sure now what it is. The leaves look a little different?

3 Likes

does not look like a gooseberry to me. (they usually don’t have berry’s in racemes (bunch like grapes, or redcurrants)
But spread out over the twig (more like apples)

Probably from the ribes family. But not a josta either.

If id have to gues i’d say a wild ribes or a hybrid.

could be

1 Like

yep. my guess too. looks just like my Crandall clove foliage/ bark. goldens can be yellow, red or purple fruited. those look like they will be yellow. i had some but they were WPBR magnets so i got rid of them. bush that big should produce alot of fruit. if its good tasting it would be worth rooting some cuttings of it. nice find.

How do you know when you have a real “sport” of if you just have some other fluke on a limb? I have a plum tree that is quite large and has almost no fruit on the entire tree, except for one limb. That limb is loaded beyond belief. ITs crazy. So you have this almost empty tree that is 10 ft tall and 8 foot across and has maybe 10 plums on the entire tree except one limb toward the top which probably has 70 plumbs smashed together all over it. Now, perhaps the wind carried one big load of pollen to those flowers, maybe there was something that drew insect pollinators to that area, I just cannot figure it out. Or maybe there is some genetic fluke that makes that limb far more fertile or self-fertile while the rest of the tree isn’t? I can’t think of any reason why fruit would be so concentrated in one small area while the rest of the tree is fairly empty??? Beats me. Open to ideas and thoughts. I guess all I can do is wait until next year and see if the same thing happens again?

1 Like

Or you could try adding a couple grafts from that branch elsewhere and see if they become the only other branches to become loaded as well.

3 Likes

It looks exactly like my Crandalls blackcurrant

1 Like