Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Is it good practice to remove leaves shading stone fruit?

Reading about grapes advocates removing leaves shading the clusters… and I have a few cherries this year on a young tree, but the fruit is fully shaded by a set of leaves. I thought it might limit the likelihood of wildlife noticing them and thus haven’t pinched them off. Should I? (Insignificant number of leaves vs total leaf area, so I wouldn’t be worried about the reduced photosynthesis)

1 Like

Apricot? Mine tend to have that red stem though not the serrated leaf margins (which I think is more cherry like).

Do you know what trees are they?

Well, you are not the first person think it is a apricot. I have posted pictures in this thread for pass three years trying to identify this tree. It was small then and I wasn’t in hurry to identify it. But the tree is big now, I really need to have it identified so I can graft appropriate scions onto it this season.
It looks like apricot but not quite, the leafs also looks apple too

No flowers yet?

No flower.

Do grapes tend to wake up later than fruit trees? I put in a bunch of bare root grafted grapes this spring but they have done basically nothing. One started to leaf out but the deep freeze a few weeks back killed all the tiny leaves. Nothing has happened since then even though all my fruit trees have bloomed and are growing vigorously already. Are they just all dead? Is there a way to check?

@PA_Fruit_Grower
My grapes have just woken up this week. You could scratch it with your fingernail to see if it’s green underneath.

grapes tent to leaf out and flower later than most fruit tree’s.

Depending on the variety of grape and the severity of your frost. the “main” bud might have frozen. But usualy a backup or latent bud will replace it. But these buds are also a little later.

i would not worrie about it to much

Crab apple ?

1 Like

Grapes love high temperatures 80-90’s.

Don’t know🤔

Thanks I’ll keep waiting, should warm up in another week or so. Just another week of crazy spring weather to get through hopefully.

For me, yes. My Flame Seedless is awake but was ~ 1 month behind some of my others (plum, cherry, peach). Apple is in between these two groups where I am and with the varieties I have. YMMV!

I am pretty positive its buckthorn Rhamnus cathartica. Invastive and absolutly worthless.
When I moved to this home a few years ago i thought they where plums or cherries till the fruit developed. The spring leaves look nothing like the summer leaves. I checked a tree on the side walk I positivly ID as buckthorn and its current leaves match the seedlings I pulled.

1 Like

Oh yeah, it is buckthorn in your picture. I have whole bunch growing in my yard. Can’t get rid of them. I don’t think mine is buckthorn though.

Check the leaves they should look the same as the postiive IDed buckthorn.

1 Like

Ok, will do. But the buckthorn has big thorn in my yard. This plant is at least three years old , no any thorns

the buckthorn around here is completly thornless. its very confusing. I guese our a glossy buckthorn .
Buckthorn Invasive Species Profile | Natural Resource Stewardship (iastate.edu)

I have yet to use foil, and I think that whether it’s warranted depends on species, ambient conditions, etc as @lordkiwi suggests. I certainly don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. If I was going to use it, I think I would wrap the graft buds but leave the union exposed (unless it’s super hot!). That way, the union can get to work callusing, but the buds would be kept cooler and therefor less likely to break prematurely.

All that being said, this is only my second year grafting, and pretty much all of it has been bench grafts indoors, so definitely no need for foil there.

1 Like