Questions not deserving of a whole thread

First one is stag horn sumac , it gets red fruit clusters that make a good lemon aid. Most would see it as no value .
I like it .
Second looks like birch
Third one could be a hickory, could also be something else.?
The last is tulip poplar

6 Likes

Thanks!

About the sumac, I’ve never seen it flower like that. But maybe it’s never grown to this size here. So, perhaps I’ll leave some to find out.

Re the birch, I asked my wife about it and she said she didn’t think birch grew here. But, I thought there might be more than one species. It turns out the bark looks like either a sweet, river or yellow birch. It almost looks like black cherry bark, but I’ve never seen it bloom, so it’s got to be birch.

Re the poplar, it looks like it probably is, but I don’t recall it blooming, but I may have missed it.

The last two pics are of the same tree, the poplar.

1 Like

[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:1263, topic:10530”]
(“The last two pics are of the same tree, the poplar.”)
Hum . Trying to trick me.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
That’s why I was not sure., it has a different pattern on the bark in each photo, I have some hickorys here that can look like that.

1 Like

We do have hickory in the area, I picked up a bunch of nuts down by the road a couple years ago. They are very tasty, almost like a sweet version of a pecan. But, they are very difficult to shell, so it’s almost not worth it.

One variety of fig I have has sprouted actual leaves. What temperature are tender new leaves good to? It’s supposed to be in the 40s overnight, so I left them out. But we’ll get colder again soon.

Sumac?

1 Like

Yes, according to HH, it is. But, it’s not in the same family as poison sumac, according to what I read.

Like HH said, the berries can be used to make a type of lemonade, and they have been used as a type of ink.

The sumac which people eat is the red flowers/fruit. The tree/shrub grows wild in wetter climates (and even out here some near streams). It is spread by birds who eat the seeds. Not the same as poison sumac, all parts of the plant are safe to touch/handle. It was all over the place back in CT when I was a kid growing up there.

You can find dried sumac for sale online as a spice. It has a lemon-like flavor and gives things a red color. It is used quite a bit in some cuisines.

I said nothing about poison Sumac. Your type of Staghorn Sumac, simply grows rampant in Maine. I remember killing many a tree to make way for land. They get big. What you should know is that they are prized in England as they are so decorative!

3 Likes

they are a great shade shrub when they get bigger. my cousin has his picnic table and grill under 2 of them grown together. like walking in a jungle.color is fire red in the fall. most of southern new england scrubland is covered with them.

1 Like

I’ve read you can make some interesting natural dyes with staghorn sumac. I think it can be used as a mordant as well.

1 Like

I live in Southern California. I plan to use inline drip irrigation. Should I place the emitter tubing above or below my mulch?

I’m looking for nectarine varieties and know that I have approximately 1300 chill hours here in NJ. How many chill hours should I range in for choosing my tree? I’m currently interested in Zee Glo which is 600-700 hours.

I’d be interested to hear everyone else’s opinion on this, but I put them above the mulch. Easier to check on them and make sure they are functioning properly. Also, if covered by mulch, they can get clogged easier and it’d be hard for you to notice this.

1 Like

That might be a little low. But as long as you have some already, it may be worth experimenting with. Most of my nectarines are grafts though I have 2 trees too.
Some lower chill work for me. If you do try that tree, I would love to get some wood to graft unto my trees. The patent is expired so it’s now in the public domain. If you can graft or willing to learn you can have nectarines throughout the season off of one tree.
I have Spice Zee Nectaplum, Arctic Glo, Fantasia, Red Gold, and Arctic Jay.
The latter three are grafts. I have wood to a few more I’ll try to add this year. Of course peaches and nectarines are hard to graft, so getting 50% takes is a good number. Still I managed to add 3 nectarines, and 6 peaches via grafts. Even if none take, I’m fairly well set. I have a new lot and it has 2 peach trees, so I plan to add most to those two trees this year. I can’t wait to graft!

Quick pronunciation question: should the name Margil (apple) be spoken with a soft or hard ‘g’?

For peach you can grow any tree. Low chill ones may bloom a bit earlier but not enough to matter. I am in a similar climate and never had any problem with low chill varieties.

1 Like

My low chill varieties bloom in Jan and Febr with last freeze in April. Climate makes a lot of difference.

If it’s French, that G is like the sound at the beginning of Zsa Zsa Gabor.

1 Like

There were a couple years where I’ve noticed mid-winter bud swelling on my only low chill peach, July Elberta. They other peaches aren’t immune, but JE is always the first to show signs. It depends on the length of the winter heatwaves.

There was also at least 2 years where I observed significant bud damage on JE from a late autumn temperature crash while the other peach varieties weren’t affected. I wonder if there is a correlation between low chill requirement and reluctance to harden for cold weather, or is it just coincidence with this one?