Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Do you have a frost blanket you could wrap around the containers?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t think it would work in this case. I have a few blankets, etc. I could wrap, but they aren’t specifically frost blankets and the trees are in fabric pots and the blankets would get a bit nasty… also, just too many. I’ll get the small ones in and hope the big boys are okay.

I expect they will be fine and I’m pretty sure I’ve had fully dormant container figs out into the mid-20s. I just really need to record this stuff so I remember year to year what worked. My memory just ain’t up to the task.

1 Like

Well i think the fabric pots take to cold more than the plastic pots (Air insulation) Im sure trash bags or leaves or something just around the pot to keep the wind off them would be enough if you were worried about it. Not sure about figs.

1 Like

25 should be no problem for any that dropped all their leaves a couple weeks ago. Anything with green tips should be brought in. Mine that went dormant early have been through one night of 20ish so far and are fine, I’ve stored them in an unheated shed where the roots were frozen for months and aside from taking longer to come out of dormancy were fine.

1 Like

I found this beast of a pear at a Chinese supermarket in Boston. I haven’t tried it yet, but anyone have an idea as to what variety it might be?

4 Likes

Don’t know what it is but it sure is a beauty! Can you update is on its taste? Thanks

1 Like

I’ll be sure to post a review when I open it. It was too big and outlandish to pass up, especially at only $2.50 a piece.

1 Like

According to this website, it is a Nashi Yellow. # 4407 PLU Codes (Numerical Order) - Innvista

1 Like

@dutch-s I ate it last night. I have admittedly little Asian pear experience, but I would rate it as above average, but not the best one I’ve had. Beautifully crisp and juicy, nice and sweet. It had enough acidity to balance the sweetness, so it wasn’t cloying. Somewhat aromatic with some subtle pear flavors. Also a hint of the part of the watermelon between the red flesh and the rind. Definitely very good, but I would have liked some of the flavor and aroma to come through more strongly.

@Masbustelo that’s technically correct, but I don’t think that’s the variety name. ‘Nashi’ means pear in Japanese, so 4407 is the code for any yellow Asian pear. PLU codes are designed for commodity produce and seldom refer to a specific cultivar.

3 Likes

I’d advise eating it soon if you haven’t already. I bought a similar pear at an asian market near me and when I cut it open a lot of the flesh was brown and the part I was able to rescue was pretty tasteless. I had let it sit for 2-3 days after buying it, thinking that it was fine since it was still very firm and beautiful on the outside. I have no idea if it was that way already when I bought it, but if I take the plunge again I’ll eat it right away.

I hope you have a better experience.

1 Like

I ate it yesterday and it was just about right. I could see where it could go bad quickly if left to its own devices.

Great, glad yours was better.

1 Like

@zendog

Something that worked for me…

I took all the pots and put them together tight against each other.

Then I opened one of those 3 cubic foot compressed peet moss bricks and loosened it up and poured it onto the pots and buried them to the brim.

The loose peet moss fell in and filled in all the voids between the pots.

Depending on how cold it gets you might add more. It is a great insulator

Mike

4 Likes

How close would y’all feel comfortable placing a jujube to a house?

I would put it a minimum of 60’ from sewer/septic or any other kind of water lines.

3 Likes

Oh wow. Well…Hmm.

Most people don’t have that kind of space but still grow jujube I’m sure.

Near Dallas, there is going to be a relatively long/hot growing season. There are many things I would not plant close to water lines in Texas, and Jujubes are known to put roots out a long distance. If you are confident there is absolutely no water leaking from your lines, perhaps you should not worry about it.

Then I’m really bad.

I have a number of jujube trees (I think there are 5) in my little 1/8th acre yard (and this includes a house and 2 1/2 car garage). the closest one to my house is only about 2 feet from the house.

I wanted it protected as I wasn’t sure it would survive here in Michigan and planting close to the house I figured I’d get a little protection in winter and reflected heat in summer to facilitate ripening.

In hindsight I would prefer it was further from the house (and the apple tree nearby), but at the time the placement seemed perfect.

The tree is now about 10 years old and about 15 feet tall and has produced for me yearly for at least 6 years.

The variety if you are curious is So. (there are other contorted plants in this particular bed, So it fits right in)

I’ve never had this particular tree send up a sucker. It is not on its own roots.

Scott

Probably not as much of an issue in your climate. Big difference between Michigan climate and Texas climate. More vigorous growth for a longer period of time, and on a long enough timeline there will be a severe drought. I was stationed at Ft. Hood from 2006-2009 during a very bad multi-year drought. The ground became so dry, the clay drainage pipes broke at my apartment complex. It caused water to back up into my kitchen. I imagine jujube roots would make short work of clay pipes in a drought.
Perhaps chadspur has better quality plumbing, and it is a non-issue. I am just advising caution.