Questions not deserving of a whole thread

I can’t have crocus b/c squirrels, either :cry:

1 Like

I don’t know but if it works i would like to do this as well with jujubes as i am worried about freeze damage. Does anyone have experience burying jujube under the graft lines?

@northwoodswis4

These are crocus bulbs that I have had for years. I did plant some last year, but probably only about a dozen.

Scott

here its voles! i surround mine with short pieces of pipe w/ bait chunks to kill them under the snow in the winter. my cat and dogs kill them in the summer as well as my local foxes.

I planted these new trees in early Jan and they are leafing out now. However, I see yellowing of leaves on many of them. Is it something to be concerned about? I did check and although my nearby Satsuma plum is ravaged by aphids, I didn’t see them in any of these new trees. It has been raining a lot here but I’m not sure if that’s an issue for these new leaves.

Candy Heart Pluerry:

Emerald Beaut Plum:

Emerald Drop Pluot:

They might need some Nitrogen.bb

1 Like

The advice I read a lot is to not fertilize the first year trees. May be if it’s just nitrogen deficiency, I can do a foliar spray of seaweed or other nitrogen fertilizers.

peeing on them is nitrogen.

1 Like

Be careful about peeing on a tree esp. young trees. Most advice suggests dilution to avoiding causing burn.

In dry areas, there is a concern about increasing salt to the soil from using urine as fertilizer.

1 Like

In my experience when cool or cool and damp, new emerging leaves look like yours. They will green up with enough sun. I think they look real good.

3 Likes

Thanks! That happens to my young citrus until the weather warms up. Probably the same thing here

1 Like

I’m looking for some opinions on root trimming potted pawpaws at transplant.

I planted one today out of a 14" deep pot and the primary root went to the bottom, then almost all the way back up to the top, and then down again so was well over 2’ long. I didn’t want to dig that hole so just cut it to about 12". How big a deal is it to cut these back? Anyone know if it makes a difference or not? The plant had plenty of other root growth besides this primary one.

Thanks

@Lucky_P may have an answer.bb

The taproot on a pawpaw is critical. Loose the taproot and expect to loose the tree.

In the spring of 2017, I bought two potted pawpaws and planted them. The trees were small, young ones. The next spring, I moved one of it to another location. I did not know about pawpaw’s deep tap root.

I cut the root off to about a foot and moved the tree. It did not died or showed any sign of suffering. Granted that tree could have been a year or two older than yours when it was moved.

1 Like

I grew some pawpaws in 20 oz styrofoam cups once. Imprisoned them in them for a couple of years…though roots did exit drain holes I’d pokwd in the bottom, and rooted into the ground beneath. I just chopped them off - and whacked off the circling roots in the bottoms of the cups when I planted them in yheir permanent locations…15 years ago…and they’re still alive.
Also…have done mass planting of pawpaw seeds in 3 gal pots…and whacked off 3-4 inch thick mats of circling taproots off the bottom of the medium a year later…with no adverse effects.
There’s nothing magical about a taproot…on pawpaw, or any other plant.

1 Like

Thanks - I appreciate your first hand experience. This is along the same line I was thinking.

Any idea what caused this? I found three spots similar to this on young apple tree branches.

Looks like possibly a squirrel.

2 Likes

@TurkeyCreekTrees thanks. That makes sense.