Refractometer Suggestions

You don’t say why you don’t want Amazon.

Here’s one on Ebay from a US seller for $23

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.

So as too not get political, I’ll just say it would seem too ironic to use union-bustin’ Amazon on Labor Day weekend.

3 Likes

I have a pocket electronic refractometer, model Atago Pal-1, and it is a true marvel.

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there any refractometers made in the USA?

1 Like

I’ve purchased kegs and various other products from Adventures in Homebrewing in the past. They seem to be a good company.

1 Like

Wow, what fruit is that, it has beautiful flesh. I’m predisposed to orange-fleshed fruit.

1 Like

That looks identical to the $15 one from China.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it. Just trying to find an alternative to Amazon.

3 Likes

Hi murky, it is an excellent variety of a type of peaches with yellow skin, and very firm yellow flesh.
In Spain we call this type of peaches “Pavias”, they are this type of peaches:

Varieties of Pavias from Provedo nursery:

The fruit that you have seen in the photograph is the “Jalon” variety, and you can see a small report of this variety in this post

I have all the varieties of Pavias from the Provedo nursery catalog, and some others from other renowned breeders.

They are a true delight (much better than red-skinned peaches) due to their marked peach flavor, their high brix of sugars, and their incredible aromas.
With a plate in the kitchen with three or four of these peaches the whole house smells to peaches, they have a huge fragrance.

If you like them, send me a private message.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

Those sound fantastic. I assume they are susceptible to peach leaf curl, and require spray or other measures where curl is a problem.

I’ve already limited myself to curl resistant cultivars, so that hugely narrows down the options.

1 Like

Hi murky, sadly you suppose well .
These varieties are not especially susceptible to leaf curl, but they do not have resistance, so in humid climates they will have problems with the fungus taphrina deformans that causes leaf curl.
When I read to you ( and many people in the United States) the fungal problems that you have, it gives me immense anger and sadness, because it is a shame that you cannot grow these and many other magnificent varieties.
The same thing happens to my friends from the north of Spain and they all try to get the North American varieties of peaches resistant to leaf curl such as Oregon Curlfree, Charlotte, etc …

I’m sorry to have to give you bad news, because if they were varieties resistant to fungal problems you would simply have to send me a private message.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Looked up this thread to see what folks are using.

Like many I have the inexpensive analog refractometer that I used for wine masking kits…if I can find the damn thing.

Looks like the jump to digital is a huge one.

1 Like

@Shibumi
The Atago and Hanna are worth the investment.

2 Likes