Salad Dressing recipes

I am not sure if this in an acceptable thread here on Growing Fruit site.
I have been looking for good, I mean REALLY GOOD salad dressing recipes. I hate the salad dressings you get in the stores. Always too gaggy sweet or too much garlic, over bearing aftertastes, etc., and a waste of money that expire in my fridge. I have looked online for recipes yet many do not seem like they would be that great.
I am not particular as to it has to be “oil and vinegar based” or it has to be an" Asian infused type", etc. Just a good salad dressing type. I have lots and lots of cookbooks but normally they only offer a few.
I would like to find a a few all around “go to” recipe for salads. I like salads but not the dressings. I dread making a salad because the dressings are so drab. I am eating less and less salads these last few years. The dressings I did like are no longer made. OR they have changed the recipes in them to be " better tasting" or " New and improved", yet they are not.
Any help would be appreciated. If you do not want to post it here just PM me the recipe.
Thank you.

We made this tonight. Substitute maple syrup for the honey, a wayyyy better taste for this recipe.

3 Likes

There is a fruit in the kitchen category. its not that exclusive. You can change the category of a post by clicking the edit pencil a the top of your post. I enjoy the Green Goddess salad at Panara and discovered its was once more popular then it is today.

The basic recipe is
2 teaspoons of Anchovys or paste
1 garlic clove
1/3 cup Tarragon (required)
1/3 cup chives preferably or green onions
1/3 cup basil, Cilantro, Culanto, or parsley (preferably a blend of multiple)
3/4 cup mayo
3/4 cup Sour cream, yogurt or cream fresh
juice of 1 limon or about a 1 tablespoon ov vineger
Salt and Black pepper to taste

Dice everything finely and and grind it together with a hand blinder.

4 Likes

I will do that. TY for the suggestion and idea.

changed

I love simple vinaigrettes, but during the summer I substitue red wine vinegar with fresh lemons from my tree. Store bought lemons work well too. Not bottled lemon. For a refreshing salad I will grate a 1.2 teaspoon of lemon rind and add it as well.

1 Like

3,2,1 vinegrette dressing my family has made for generations is super simple and delicious.

Dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar into 3 tablespoons of water. Add two tablespoons of your favorite vinegar and a few shakes of Maggi after the sugar has dissolved. Dress the greens with some olive oil first before adding the 3,2,1. Toss and eat.

1 Like

@MikeC — I figured out a couple years ago that I have to eat a very low carb diet to stay healthy.

My Salad dressing is low carb Keto and quite simple…

Avacado Mash… ingredients, Avacado, see salt, pepper, lemon juice or lime juice.
5 grams Total Carb, 4 grams Fiber === 1 gram Net Carbs.

If you wanted to jaz it up some add herbs, cilantro, small amount of onion, garlic.

It is very simple, extremely Keto Friendly… and I love it.
We do High Fat, Low Carb Salads on Keto - with mostly low carb leafy greens (leaf lettuces, beet greens, spinach, cabage, small amount of carrots, a few cherry tomatoes, and then berries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries (are all low carb)… and we use those often… the high fat comes from adding nuts, sliced almonds, walnuts, pecans (again low carb nuts) and the avocado mash is high fat and low carb. hard aged cheeses, like cheddar have no carbs… so those are good.

Occasionally I will revert back to Paleo Diet for a weekend… (and Carb cycle)… and since you can use raw honey, maple syrup on Paleo Diet… I will make my own Honey Mustard… a simple mix of olive oil, organic mustard, honey, salt, pepper.

So there are a couple of very healthy simple options for you.

Best of Luck !

TNHunter

2 Likes

That’s just guacamole. lol

I am 100% with you. Low Carb Keto is the way to go. I have been dirty keto for the last few years but I am redoubling my efforts with healthy Keto and I am doing a great deal more intermediate fasting.

Under dirty keto I had been sabotaging my self with to low fat. no more.

3 Likes

@lordkiwi - agree… it is just avacado mash, or a form of guacamole… but man it is good on a salid.

We have a local Mexican place… that has a meal on the menu… sirloin steak, with guacamole salad… they include a baked potato which I just say (leave that off please)…

Tried it once and found out that I really liked their simple guacamole on a salad.

Not long after that… our Walmart started having these little 4 serving cup (boxes) of Avacado mash.
Each little cup is just right for one salad… and it has nothing in it but avacado, lemon juice, salt, pepper (they call it Avacado mash) There is a Guacamole option available too… but I prefer the Mash for a salad dressing myself.

To me it is just the ideal Keto salad dressing - my wife perfers ranch, and most ranch dressings are very low carb too… so for both of us, even following strict healthy keto guidelines… we have salad dressings that be both really like. That is nice.

TNHunter

3 Likes

I eat it on toast in the morning too!

2 Likes

I sometimes make a tzatziki/raita type yoghurt sauce to use as a salad dressing. For the tzatziki version, I take some yoghurt and mix in some olive oil, dill, crushed garlic, and a little salt (and a little lemon if I have any handy). I just kind of eyeball everything/do it to taste, but one thing to be aware of is that if you don’t use it fresh, the garlic flavor will become stronger, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much you like garlic. I find it to be very nice on salad in the summer.

3 Likes

Its excellent. Sour cream works well too.

1 Like

I like that idea, Mrs. G!

1 Like