Scionwood sources

Anyone receive a mailing from Singing Tree yet this year?

Kelly’s Oldtimey Apple Orchard is out. Not sure what is going on at Kuffle Creek or Big Horse Creek

1 Like

Big Horse Creek opened for orders Saturday.

4 Likes

Is Steve Kelley still alive?

1 Like

@scottfsmith

This company should open up for selling scions etc. any day now Fruit Trees - Rainbow Grove

3 Likes

Yes. Just too disabled to tend the orchard.

3 Likes

Am sorry to hear this. He provided rare scions to many folks for years and years. And always added surprise bonus scions in my packages.

3 Likes

He did not mention any plans for his collection. Maybe some local folks will realize the Agricultural gold his collection is.

2 Likes

Got mine a few days ago.

I received info from him a few days ago, similar to last year.

I don’t see any mention here of Tropical Acres. I got my first avocado scionwood order from them this week and it was all in good shape. They were covered in black sooty mildew, but scions always look that way from FL, unlike the usually clean and pristine ones from nurseries in CA.

They have a pretty impressive selection of avocado scions. They are also the only nursery I’ve seen that sells scionwood of named varieties of mamey sapote, sapodilla, and green sapote. But they won’t ship to CA or internationally. Because it’s mango flowering season in south FL those aren’t currently on the list, but will be later in the season according to their customer service email person. They have a rather preposterously large selection of mango varieties for their custom grafting, it’s unclear if all those will be available as scions, too, but I assume most of them will.

2 Likes

Hi Lodidian and @stumpmaker - for Singing Tree - can you confirm if the pricing per scion and postage amount for 2023? If you’re able to post a photo of the catalog, would be helpful, otherwise I can go off the 2022, above.

Hi Ross: I received Singing Tree’s 2024 scion list just before Christmas. It looks like the same list from the past. Prices are $5.00 per scion for all varieties with $12.00 postage & handling for orders postmarked February 28 or before.He mentions a $25 surcharge for orders after Feb. 28 until March 15. It’s pretty much all the same as in the recent past. He must be about the only place I’ve found that hasn’t raised prices. Hope this helps.
Allan

3 Likes

@stumpmaker

Can you take photos of the catalog with your phone and upload them?

Only if my IT people help me. Maybe later today.

1 Like

Hi Tim - I was looking around your nursery’s site and it looks great and also seems to have great reviews here. Congrats!

Just so I understand - it seems like you cannot ship persimmon scion wood to CA, but you CAN ship fig cuttings? How about the actual fruit - do you offer shipments of that too later in the year? I’m trying to figure out what varieties to grow and would love to taste some of the really cool varieties you have but am wondering if that’s even logical given a) folks don’t ship the fruit usually, b) is the shipped fruit going to really give me a good taste test?

Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion. Unfortunately with CA’s regulations we don’t ship any wood there. Since we’re a small outfit (primarily just me) it doesn’t make sense for us to go through the trouble. Sorry for the confusion and I wish I could help you out!

As a result of being such a small operation, we also don’t ship fruit.

Appreciate your understanding.

Tim

3 Likes

100% makes sense! I wish you could but I totally get it. Thank you!

Here is the Singing Tree 2024 Brochure. I apologize for any difficulties in viewing it. I’m still working on understanding Semaphore and smoke signals. Computers are challenging for me.

11 Likes

Hi Allan - awesome, thanks so much for doing that!! I would have been paying the 2022 price of 4.50, so you’re keeping me honest. Cutting it a little close, but will get my order in!!