Scionwood sources

Is “Almold” a typo, or a new hybrid nut name I’ve never heard of before?

The 2023 Singing Tree variety list has the same spelling, but I agree it is likely a typo. If someone is ordering something they might point it out. I do occasionally see Richard Fahey in town and will try to catch up with him to ask. He lives off the grid, walks everywhere unless someone gives him a ride and lives back off the road a distance. Correspondence is via US mail, if you provide a stamped addressed return envelope. While communication is not instantaneous, his methods seem to work.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. I couldn’t find my copy until this morning, so now ready to send the image, I discovered you already had.

The Montezuma Orchard Restoration Project is now selling scionwood for 50+ apples, including for the Colorado Orange apple. They are sold out of that one for the season.

@scottfsmith - do you want to add to the list?

Sure, added! Note that all regulars can edit, please feel free to do so.

2 Likes

Fallingfruit.org has a large database of edible trees for foraging, many on public land or parks. For the thrifty or beginner grafter a source of local scionwood. Our city forester has mapped/contributed their whole tree database which sorts for edible trees. They have been planting orchard trees in quite a few parks in recent years for public consumption and donation to the food bank. Various volunteer groups plant and do the harvesting and keep an eye on the trees’ health. To make it easier to find individual trees I recommend to use the satellite view to help with landmarks.

1 Like

Just received my scionwood order from ReallyGoodPlants. The product is good, and I am pleased.

6 Likes

I got a great order in from Southern Culture Orchard and Nursery. I ordered 8 sticks. I got:

Cauley-2, Red Detroit-2 Hoover-2 Orange Cauley-2, Magnolia Gold-3, Devine-1, St.Clair-1, Tanyard Seedling -1, Disharoon- 1, Yates-2 and one I never heard of; Chickasaw Apple.

10 extra sticks!

2 Likes

I wish there was a similar list for EU, too.
Anyone in EU selling scions who wants to plug in their info here?

3 Likes

+1 I’m looking for the same!

There are a couple online in the UK.

They are offline until next season; but these folks have a lot of selection. It would be great to see more though.

https://gb-online.co.uk/eshop8/44-apple-scions