Scionwood sources

Does anyone know if singing tree is still selling scion wood?

1 Like

I would be surprised if not. They tend to send their list out late since they are in the cold northeast.

2 Likes

A pretty good selection of Apple as well as Peach, Cherry, Plum, etc… Haven’t met these folks or bought anything from them yet. They’re fairly close by though, so hope to in the spring.

http://adifferentchickfarm.com/?page_id=2623

5 Likes

Great list…are these guys near you?

Yeah, 20 miles or so. If I can’t get everything I’d like to have through trades this year, will probably hit them up.

1 Like

Would be nice if I could work a trip in and visit him…I have a standing invitation to visit with the owner of the big garden center in that town sometime. (Ate my first ‘MelloMushroom’ pizza in Johnson City in 2006. And first visited the town in Sept. 1980 on a frosty morning.) Would be an interesting trip. If I can free up any time after the snow season and before grafting and gardening.

At 2.95 per scion, the price is good. Although Jason Bowen over near Raleigh NC often sends two foot-long sticks for $3.
Email for list of around 400 varieties, Jason.bowen@ncdcr.gov (all lower case, no cap. “j”)

1 Like

Thanks, added them above.

Added Jason above as well…

EDIT: forget it he was already there under Horne Creek…

Also I just noticed that all the online swaps listed are no longer active so I deleted that section.

2 Likes

Absolutely… I’ve heard nothing good things about them. Hoping to get by the JC farmer’s market this spring and meet them. I just shot Jason an email as well, curious to check out that list.

2 Likes

First post. I joined just to comment here! Lots of great info here. I have several fruit trees, bushes and vines but I am always wanting to add! Hopefully I can source some scionwood from some of the names on the list above. Thank you all!

4 Likes

I still need to contact that “chick” farm in JC. Keep forgetting.

When grafting scionwood, what is the best time to graft? Do you do it as soon as bud break or let the leaves start to open a bit first?

I am new here but not to forums, I may need to ask this question in another sub-forum as this one is for reference use…? Still finding my way around here.

3 Likes

Yes, you should ask the question in the General fruit growing category. This is a Reference category.

On the upper right hand corner of the page, you will see a symbol of three short line next to your avatar.
click on that symbol, it will show the categories.
Click in the General fruit growing category.
Once you are there, you can create a new thread or look for threads about grafting (many of them) and post your grafting question there.

Also, the symbol of a looking glass next the the three line symbol is the search function.
Click on it and type in key words such as grafting
Hit a Return key, all threads with that key word will show up.

Hope this help.

6 Likes

I appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I received the list on Monday from Singing Tree.

If you are interested I can scan it tomorrow and upload it here.

Scott

4 Likes

Please do, I am sure several people will be interested. I can update the link at the top.

3 Likes

Singing Tree’s list and order form
Singing Tree 2020.pdf (2.5 MB)

Scott

6 Likes

This is the list I was sent from Jason Bowen of Horne Creek Preservation Farm a couple days ago from the above list. He has to check to see what is available for sure and is still $3 per stick.
Public Tree List 2019.xls (55 KB)

5 Likes

Fruitwood has added a wide array of citrus scions and rooted cuttings this year! Some very unusual varieties. I was quite happy with the rooted fig and olive plugs I bought from them last year, though the apple scions I got were a little inconsistent.

2 Likes

Has anybody ordered any planting material from FPS Davis. Was going through the order form. What does the grower agreement entail ? A bit confused about that

2 Likes