Scionwood sources

@Rahul1 → I ordered 5 varieties of scion sticks in October from UC Davis FPS and prepaid $25. I received the order in December. I got two 18" long sticks of each variety, around 1/4" diameter and very good quality, packed very well. Around the beginning of Februrary I received an email invoice for the phytosanitary certificate at $50.00. I don’t know if the charge for the phytosanitary certificate is the same regardless of how many varieties you order.

3 Likes

which vendor?

1 Like

Sorry, that was in response to the question from @Rahul1 about UC Davis FPS (Foundation Plant Services). I didn’t hit the reply button correctly.

2 Likes
  1. Grower shall maintain FPS identification in her/his plantings under this Agreement and shall, in
    accordance with generally accepted accounting standards, maintain records of all propagative units for
    which user fees are required. Plantings and records, including registration and certification records of the
    California Department of Food and Agriculture, shall be open to inspection and audit by an authorized
    FPS representative during normal business hours.

I was a bit confused by the above. Does it apply to regular hobbyists or just commercial nurseries and that too for patented cultivars

2 Likes

Just occurred to me since you received the scionwood in December must have needed to store the Scions till spring. What process do you follow for storing scions especially stone fruit scions

1 Like

They sent the scions in a large heavy duty plastic bag with a strip of wet burlap inside. I dabbed up the excess moisture inside the bag with a paper towel and squeezed out the excess moisture from the burlap, then put the scions back in the bag and into my extra fridge. Every few weeks I wipe up the condensation inside the bag. Checked them the other day and they look fine. I won’t be able to graft peaches for about 6 more weeks, but I may try bench grafting some inside on rootstock using a heating cable to encourage callous formation.

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

I have used the Citrus Clonal Protection Program Department of Plant Pathology
University of California for citrus budwood

https://ccpp.ucr.edu/

3 Likes

Walt Rosenberg has noted on his website for Masonville Orchards that he will no longer handle requests for scionwood. His Ault, CO location has been sold and requests for scion should be directed to AdamsAppleColorado.com

8 Likes

Two additional sources to buy scion wood: EvesCidery.com and QueenerFarm.com

8 Likes

Great scion source information. Thanks to all that posted the names and links.:+1:

4 Likes

I’m fascinated by the list from Home Creek Preservation Farm. Does anybody have descriptions of some of these? Alexander’s Ice Cream sounds like fun. Aunt Cora’s Yard Apple? :slight_smile: Lots of stuff here I haven’t heard of before.

3 Likes

I am not sure they have descriptions but it would never hurt to email them and see what they say :+1:

2 Likes

I have gotten good scionwood from them in two previous years. Not aware of descriptions.
Lots of other internet sites have descriptions of many apples, including 7000 at Pomiferous.com

1 Like

As an update on Horne Creek Farm, here is the new list, but he stopped accepting orders on 1/1. These can be ordered late fall/early winter.Public Tree List 2020.xls (55 KB)

And now I’m a little sad because Alexander’s Ice Cream sounded like a fun variety to have.

6 Likes

That’s a bit odd, he must have a lot of business this year! One year I ordered about 2nd week of January, and the other about Feb. 13th.

4 Likes

Thanks Andy, I added those two. I also updated the Horne Creek spreadsheet, thanks @BrambleberryMeadow.

3 Likes

Is it Home Creek or Horne Creek?:thinking:

1 Like

I have always wanted to grow the Alexander’s Ice Cream. Just by the name alone. Thank you for at least posting their apple tree lists. I like they have when the apples ripen in their area. Saves time when you are looking down their listings. You can fill in some spots of ripening you are looking to get. I have a few slots I want some apples to ripen. You can only use so many apples all at once unless you have a fruit farm.

4 Likes

Big Horse Creek Farms has updated their website, and accepting scionwood orders to Feb. 15.
It’s tempting…but I don’t need any more, really.

2 Likes