Shiranui/Dekopon aka Sumo Mandarin

Please note that the price is for a #5 container, for which the volume is less than 4 gallons. A lot of nurseries use the new system now, to reduce the amount of soil used to fill the pot I guess.

1 Like

I was able to get one of the few seeds I found from eating many dozens of pounds of Sumo oranges to germinate.

1 Like

Thanks for the find. I am very tempted to get one too …

I’ve seen both at Green Thumb Nursery in the past.

just the other day i bought some sumo satsuma mandarin for my toddler he loves it. While i have limited space in my greenhouse. I just have to get one for my kids. Does any one have a online nursery that ships this variety? im not good at grafting scions otherwise I would ask for recommendation for buying scions. Thank you!

Sumo and Satsuma are different varieties. The latter is more easily available via online nurseries like fourwinds. Sumo is tricky to find. Earlier someone posted saying it is listed on NatureHills nursery but seems they are sold out now. It was quite tricky to even get Sumo/Dekopon scions from CCPP this year. I don’t know if you have similar strict restrictions on citrus propagation in PNW as CA. If not, I know @ramv is growing Sumo and I’d nicely ask him to graft one on a rootstock (C-35 available from FourWinds) or some random Mandarin that you pick up from a big box store :wink:

2 Likes

thank you so much Im looking for the sumo. i didnt know much i just googled the name. now i know its sumo. Its easy to peel which is nice for my kids. there were some mandarins that are tougher to peel and seeded.

Also, it might be a good idea to see if there are local gardeners who can advice on what mandarins do well in your area. There are quite a lot of options for easy peel + seedless - Satsuma, Tango, Sumo, Gold Nugget, Super Nova, Kishu, Gold series, etc.

2 Likes

5 months later my sumo seedling is looking good.

6 Likes

Madison Citrus Nursery had some beautiful shiranui at the Southeastern Citrus Expo last weekend, along with a variety of others. His website shows them in stock now in two sizes, $24 for the tall narrow citrus pots & $64 for 3 gallon size . All I have seen have been really nice trees.
madisoncitrusnursery.com

3 Likes

Another 5 months later…

6 Likes

Pictured here is the 3’8’’ Shiranui Mandarin I just purchased from Menlo Growers in Gilroy, California in a 5 gallon container for $65. It has lots of blossoms and two small fruit, but that is not why I picked this tree. I wanted some lower branching, that’s why I picked this one.

A word of advice to those thinking of buying smaller trees. Unlike stone fruit that can bear some fruit on a small young tree, in my experience citrus take much longer to start bearing fruit. As an example, here is a 4’ Bearss Lime purchased and planted 5 years ago.It produced two limes last year.

I just received my order from Tomorrow Harvest. I’ll try to share a picture tomorrow. Which is really today!

1 Like

40 bucks for a very small tree. Not my idea of a good deal. That’s even smaller than my Bearss Lime when I bought it 5 years ago. My local nursery won’t carry trees from Burchell because they are so small. When they say “Tomorrow’s Harvest”, ‘tomorrow’ is many years down the road.

That is for a 5x12 container. What is a 5x12 container? 5" wide by 12" deep? How tall is the tree?

Plus shipping! No, not a bargain, but neither are the oranges!

I haven’t measured, but that sounds about right. It’s about 4 feet tall.

Here’s a picture.

4 Likes

I just received one from Future Harvest. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after reading the reviews here. My came in a 5 gal container, is 4’ tall and has about 15 very small fruit. I’m sure they’ll all fall off; if not, I’ll remove.

4 Likes

They also have 3 gallon size .

1 Like

How was shipping?

They are not yet shipping to Michigan. I tried filling in a cart to find out what the cost would be, but it wouldn’t even advance beyond that page.

Scott

I saw somewhere that there were a few northern states that they were waiting for a little warmer weather before shipping there.