Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Alternatively, you can airlayer vigorous branches on your inground tree the year before you are ready and then plant them in the ground. This will reduce any chance of rootbound fig trees in pots for 2-3 years

2 Likes

How did this one do inground for you over the winter, Naeem?

1 Like

I took some of the pictures before I cover them, not sure I will get to eat some.
Flanders, newish, in container and in the shade

Kadota, this one is prolific but I’ve yet to taste one fully ripe

Peter’s Honey

Panache Tiger

Violettes des Bordeaux

Black Mission, maybe or just Black

4 Likes

It did great no winter damage at all and sets lot of Breba and main crop. These below pictures were taken today (07-08-22). This fig can take winter without protection if you put on right spot.

5 Likes

How old is this Honey Jar ?

1 Like

August of 2018.

Tony

2 Likes

Found this today on my CH Fig…

One stem with 2 fig fruit bodies on… that is a first for me … this is year 4 for my CH Fig.

Have any of you seen that before ?

4 Likes

VdB

Black fig, any day now

3 Likes

tons of leaves and new growth on the few cuttings and grafts, but no sign of fruit yet here besides one single bump. it’s already in the 80s-90s in the day. I did get a breba crop from one (negronne, same one that’s got a baby fig forming) but the rest are lazy this year.

second photo is my Chicago Hardy, it’s produced last year and the year before, and had visible fruit by now. maybe they need a fertilizer? not sure.

2 Likes

I picked a Genovese Nero breba today. My fig feeling fingers are a bit rusty so it got picked earlier than ideal as I found out when I cut it in half. Irregardless, it still tasted darn good!

12 Likes

My CH fig… some shoots approaching 8 ft. now. Lots of figs on… can’t wait for ripe ones. Aug 10 or so usually.

My keeper rooted cutting.

7 Likes

First Breba of the season Malta Black from in ground tree 07-20-22. It was excellent wow!

10 Likes

It’s great, much better than last year, I now can wait a bit longer.

5 Likes

Cdd blanc, sun got this one a bit, so hot this week, I think 104+ all week.

12 Likes

Malta Black breba from my in-ground, 7/27.

The ants found it before I did!

Had a big breba on my in-ground U. Italian Yellow Wesfield, too—but the rain and the ants ruined it. Dang it!

Definitely gonna need the Tanglefoot this year!

6 Likes

Sal’s fig

2 Likes

I was excited for the first Black Madeira KK of the season until I opened it up and found the dreaded Black Fig Fly larvae inside. Between the stupid fly and rats, my figs are being devastated this year. I need to figure out a good rat trap.

6 Likes

Any good?

My CH Fig Aug 3… no ripe fruit yet but should not be long now.

Estimating the number of figs on it now…

I measured a few of the shoots (one ft of space on the shoot) and came up with average # of figs per ft = 5.

The longest shoot is now 9 ft 9 inches long…

11 shoots total.

If I figure 8 ft average length on the 11 shoots… that is 88 ft of shoots with 5 figs per shoot.

440 figs.

We got close to 400 last year with 10 shoots.

400+ figs per year from one fig tree that gets cut back to 2 ft tall over winter… for protection… wow.

Now if these babies will just hurry up and start ripening … anticipation !!!

7 Likes

Yes. Similar to Chicago hardy.