Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Niiiice! Though I’m curious–which ones are bad splitters for you?

1 Like

Its Black Madeira, during the rain season, 7/10 will be splitted.

2 Likes

My figs are loaded with figs can’t wait for the ripe one. (06-29-22)

11 Likes

@Naeem … looking good there Naeem… as usual.

My CH Fig has a few shoots approaching 7 ft now… I have it staked and pulled to get all shoots as much light as possible.

It is loading up with figs too…

anticipation !!!

4 Likes

@TNHunter You have a beautiful tree and love the way you spread it and take care of it. I do not have that much space to give them more sunlight.

3 Likes

@Naeem … when you only have one fig tree… have to make the most of it :wink:

Actually that brings up a question for you or others here experienced in growing figs in containers.

I do have this new fig tree (one of my rooted cuttings) that was up potted to a 2.6 gal pot a couple months ago.

It looks very happy and is growing well… has even set a few fig fruits already.

Questions are this…

Is it OK to let a new fig start like this set and develop fruit ?

And… we currently have our new home build on hold pending stabilization of building material prices… may be a year or two… who knows… before we build.

If I were going to keep this new fig start in a container… for 2 or 3 years… what size, brand, model, container would you all recommend ?

Thanks
TNHunter

2 Likes

Your fig is looking very happy and I always let develop fruit no issue.

I would leave this in current container and next year start of summer to put in 5 gallons pot.
Next up potting next year I would do is 7 gallons that will do the trick. I use Go pro injection mold pots and you can get these at good price from your local hydroponics store.

1 Like

@Naeem … thanks for the info… appreciate it.

2 Likes

Finally the figs are coming along great.

Bonus

The Purple Pakistan mulberry still pumping berries since end of May.

Honey Jar on own root.

Tam Kam nonastringent Asian persimmon

8 Likes

Alternatively, you can airlayer vigorous branches on your inground tree the year before you are ready and then plant them in the ground. This will reduce any chance of rootbound fig trees in pots for 2-3 years

2 Likes

How did this one do inground for you over the winter, Naeem?

1 Like

I took some of the pictures before I cover them, not sure I will get to eat some.
Flanders, newish, in container and in the shade

Kadota, this one is prolific but I’ve yet to taste one fully ripe

Peter’s Honey

Panache Tiger

Violettes des Bordeaux

Black Mission, maybe or just Black

4 Likes

It did great no winter damage at all and sets lot of Breba and main crop. These below pictures were taken today (07-08-22). This fig can take winter without protection if you put on right spot.

5 Likes

How old is this Honey Jar ?

1 Like

August of 2018.

Tony

2 Likes

Found this today on my CH Fig…

One stem with 2 fig fruit bodies on… that is a first for me … this is year 4 for my CH Fig.

Have any of you seen that before ?

4 Likes

VdB

Black fig, any day now

3 Likes

tons of leaves and new growth on the few cuttings and grafts, but no sign of fruit yet here besides one single bump. it’s already in the 80s-90s in the day. I did get a breba crop from one (negronne, same one that’s got a baby fig forming) but the rest are lazy this year.

second photo is my Chicago Hardy, it’s produced last year and the year before, and had visible fruit by now. maybe they need a fertilizer? not sure.

2 Likes

I picked a Genovese Nero breba today. My fig feeling fingers are a bit rusty so it got picked earlier than ideal as I found out when I cut it in half. Irregardless, it still tasted darn good!

12 Likes

My CH fig… some shoots approaching 8 ft. now. Lots of figs on… can’t wait for ripe ones. Aug 10 or so usually.

My keeper rooted cutting.

7 Likes