Spring Satin Plumcot

Woops! Sorry to disappoint but between me and my three boys we have already polished them off. I know I should have taken a pic of the inside right. Maybe someone else who has some left still can get a pic?

1 Like

Spring satin

6 Likes

Thatā€™s on the verge of riipeness.

Yes close. Had to pick them all this morning, coon or some other vermin got about a dozen last night. They are close , so I think they will finish ripening good on the counter. On a side note starting to see a small amount of color on flavor supreme.

Plums donā€™t ripen any further, after you pick them. I doubt,
if SS does either.

1 Like

Santa Rosa at least further ripens off the tree for me. Picked when showing some color it will soften and sweeten off the tree for sure. Done this many times. I strongly suspect SS will do this too. At least this has been my experience.

Hey just noticed I missed your Hesse vs SS question above. SS is pretty much a plum and Hesse is mostly an apricot. SS is an easy grower (besides the curc) and Hesse is easy but is very stingy on fruiting. Maybe one year the Hesse will finally start fruiting.

There are going to be few of either this year for me unfortunately, the early cold put a big dent in them. The few plums on the SS mostly got curc-ified, it has been an extreme magnet for curc.

Spring satin picked a little firm, set on counter 2 days, it is a little soft now and has ripened nicely. Got some red in the flesh, the taste reminds me of Santa Rosa plum a little. Have to recomends this as a very nice early plum

I agree it reminds me of Santa Rosa as well. I think itā€™s gonna be a good one as well.

Ok. I think i might have both. Iā€™m pretty sure i got both from you. Once stuff starts ripening iā€™ll post some pics to make sure. I bought some Aluminum today and iā€™m going to buy an engraverā€¦i need to label stuff.

My daughter just stopped by with her fiance and his two little brothers, about 5 and 7 years old. They all really like the spring satins. In fact I had about 100 more or less, but by the time they left with what they ate and took home ime probably down by about half. But I think that is what I enjoy most about growing all this fruit, sharing it , and seeing other people enjoy it as much as I do. Arctic star nectarines are colored up well I donā€™t think it will be too much longer. It is in a pot , and I hope I have done the watering correctly. Any experience growing fruit trees in pots?

1 Like

I added Arctic Star this yearā€¦in a potā€¦its putting on a lot of growthā€¦should have a few fruits next year. I only added it because its an ā€œearlyā€ nectarine (here early in July)ā€¦

Mine is 2 years old. It is in a half wiskey barrel, left about 30 or so fruit on it, it set literally every bloom, hope I thinned enough. I let it get quite dry before I water I hope that is the right method

I havenā€™t been watering much because we keep getting rain every other day. By late week it is suppose to go into the low 90Fs so iā€™ll be watering daily. I also have Arctic Glo and Arctic Rose.

Do you spray for rot? I havenā€™t notice rot in my container trees, but i have seen it in my sweet cherries (some years very bad). I have sprayed some calcium chloride on my pluotsā€¦have no idea if its helping, but some reading suggests it can.

Yes plenty of experience. All of my stone fruit and my citrus are in pots. I use a really high drainage mix and I need to water almost daily. As with everything though I recommend checking the soil for moisture and the tree for signs of stress. I have over stressed plums before and the dropped fruit not nectarines though. They shriveled some but swelled right back up after a good soaking.

Yes I spray. With our humidity and pest preasure I really have no choice. I rotate my spray between topsin/captan, pristine, and indar. For pests I mainly use imadin. But at certain times for stink bug or japanese beatles I use mustang max or liquid 7. I use lorsban for bores. I am licensed to use restricted use products, and have a friend who has a midsized orchard so I can buy from him in small quantities.

Yes, Iā€™ve heard all the comments and criticism about Spring Satin. That itā€™s not really a plumcot or at least is mostly plum, or that it is the least tasty of the plumcots and not worthy of the name and so on. That is all over my head and is a biology question Iā€™m not informed enough to answer.

But here is what I do know. Today I picked and ate my very first Spring Satin Plumcot, and it was so wonderful that within 3 minutes I was trying to figure out where I could fit in a few more plumcot trees! haha. Seriously, it was just incredible to me. I readily admit that Iā€™ve only tried maybe 2-3 plumcot types before and they were all from wal-mart, so I donā€™t exactly have a sophisticated palate. ha. Iā€™m not too good a describing tastes either, so about all I can say is these things are delicious. Very sweet, but enough tartness around skin and close to pit to give them a wider flavor profile. And in spite of what Iā€™ve read others say, to me it doesnā€™t have a strong plum flavor. Its just a juicy, soft (but NOT mushy) very sweet piece of fruit that I enjoyed very much. I have a ā€œBruceā€ plum ripening at the same time and while it is also good, for me the Spring Satin is a very different- and much better- flavor.

I also need to say a very special Thank-you to my friend @mamuang, Early this season, when I had a lot of fruit on my trees, she really pushed me to order some of the Clemson fruit protection bags and to put them on. She was really insistent and gently reminded me a couple times. I now have her to thank for much of the fruit Iā€™m getting to taste for the first time this year. I had several trees- including Spring Satin- that produced for the first time and therefore only made a few fruits. Most were lost to some kind of critter (bug or animal) but thanks to bags @mamuang encouraged me to get, I got to try sweet cherries, plums, plots, and (hopefully) apricots that I otherwise would have lost to the forces of nature. So thanks, Mamuang!

Meanwhile, Iā€™m loving Spring Satin no matter what people say! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I agree it is a nice piece of fruit. They just need to be picked at the right time. Everyone I shared with liked the taste

Kevin
Did you spray be fore you bag? Glad they were helpful to you. Mine are on the shelf waiting for next year :disappointed:

Glad to know there are a few other Spring Satin lovers, @Jwsemo! Like I said, I havenā€™t tried many other plum and apricot blends, so it may be true that others are better, but SS is a delicious fruit to me and one I prefer over all of my plums (so far, I still have 2 plums more Iā€™ll get to try this year).

Yes, @mamuang, I did spray all my fruit before bagging them. Iā€™m pretty sure that I did that because you recommended it. Spring Satin seemed to just be a magnet for insect pests,more than most of my other fruit for some reason. They got to all the SS that werenā€™t bagged, so thanks again for encouraging me to do that. Iā€™m still sorry that someone as kind and helpful as you are has had a bad year for fruiting this year (thanks to late freeze) and it makes me feel guilty that Iā€™m having such a bountiful year when others like you lost most or all of their crop. But as some have said, after what I went through last year (neighbor killing or de-fruiting so many of my trees.

Every dog has his day!