Spring Satin Plumcot

Hopefully my report did’nt sound too negative about SS. I think it is a really good early plum. I just think I waited a few days too long to harvest and they were a little soft. Still quite flavorful though and I would highly reccomend them for sure!

These look just like yours?

Mine is in a pot (one of the grafts is) so that is probably why they are smaller. I have some on a tree that aren’t as ripe yet. Not sure when to pick.

3 Likes

Pick when they start to soften. That works for all pluots and plums I’ve grown.

2 Likes

They sure do look like mine. Mine are potted and small as well. Yes as soon as they give a bit there ready.

Thanks…now i know what is spring satin, hesse and lavina then…nice. I’ll wait on them a little. The birds attacked some of the other ones. Stupid things.

I have a big branch of Spring Satin on my Alderman…the fruits are a tad bigger, but nothing huge. Hesse is much larger…those aren’t coloring up yet.

Let them get a little soft on top. They taste best when they have some red in the flesh. Enjoy

The following is excerpted from:
Journal of the American Pomological Society 59(3):119-124 2005 ‘Spring Satin’ Plumcot by W. R. Okie

The article also covers the history of plumcots in some detail.

…Spring Satin’ originated as an open-pollinated seedling of BY8111- 6 planted in 1988. The pollen parent is unknown but presumed to be one of the apricots planted nearby. BY8111-6 is a high-quality plum from a cross of BY4-601 x ‘Frontier’. BY4-601 was ‘Queen Ann’ x ‘Santa Rosa’, seed for which was obtained from California in 1963 and planted at Byron, GA by V.E. Prince. ‘Spring Satin’ was selected in 1991, and tested as BY88Z1092. ‘Spring Satin’ blooms with ‘Methley’ plum and with peaches having a chilling requirement of about 750 hours below 5°C.

Flowers are white like plums, 2 centimeter in diameter, and are borne in clusters of 2- 3. The anthers shed moderate quantities of pollen. ‘Spring Satin’ should be planted adjacent to other plums or apricots blooming at the same time to facilitate insect pollination since flowers are only partially self-compatible. Trees caged with a beehive but no other pollen source have set lightly. In most years thinning has been required to reduce fruit set and increase fruit size.
Fruit of ‘Spring Satin’ ripen in late May at Byron, about 2-3 weeks before ‘Santa Rosa’ and ‘Morris’. Skin color is reddish-black to black, with very short fuzz. The flesh is yellow or yellow-orange when immature, changing to yellowish-red as the fruit matures. Flesh is firm with very good flavor when it softens, in contrast to the soft, insipid flesh of most early plums in the Southeast. Firm ripe fruit tends to be quite tart. With proper thinning, 5 centimeter (2 inch) fruit size is possible. Fruit shape is round to oblate. The medium-sized pit is clingstone. Flavor tends to be tarter at the pit.
Trees of ‘Spring Satin’ on peach root- stock are moderately vigorous with upright growth. Trees appear to be compatible with common peach rootstocks such as Guardian®, Lovell, Nemaguard and Halford. Tree health at Byron is much better than ‘Santa Rosa’ or ‘Ozark Premier’ but less than that of ‘Robusto’ or ‘Byrongold’. ‘Spring Satin’ appears moderately resistant to bacterial spot disease and to bacterial canker disease, but only tolerant of plum leaf scald. ‘Spring Satin’ has performed well in central Georgia and northern Texas and is recommended for trial in areas with similar climates

6 Likes

Anyone have tried Spring satin in zone 5?

2 Likes

I did - it had no problems other than reluctance to fruit

1 Like

@mamuang and @thecityman what do you spray with before bagging? And when do you bag? Would I need to spray for brown rot after bagging, or do the bags exclude the fungus?

There are several kinds of bags. Let’s talk about Clemson paper bag first. This is for peaches only. Clemson paper bags are too big for plums.

I need to spray fungicide and pesticide soon after shuck split as peach pests like Oriental Fruit Moths and plum curculios attack those fruit when they are very young. I have to spray twice before peach fruitlets are big enough to bag, a thumb size or almost. If they are smaller, it is harder to put paper bags on.

So, yes, after second spray of fungicide ( and pesticide), I bag the next day. Once you bag and secure the bags tightly, nothing else need to be done until harvesting time.

4 Likes

Are the bags reusable?

No. I abused them as they are not that easy to put on. They are not expensive. If you google Clemson peach bags, you can buy them from Clemson. There are Chinese and Japanese paper bags, too. Very similar and same applicattion.

There was an old thread of a GF members who used several kinds of paper bags and posted his comments. I can’t remember the title of that thread.

I did order the Clemson bags to try this year. Last year I used sturdy organza bags on nectarines and tomatoes, mainly to protect from birds, and they did work fairly well for that purpose. But those bags that I used were somewhat difficult to use with nectarines. Also, I was spraying the nectarines through out the season with fungicides and insecticides. I had to use insecticides because I wanted to protect the foliage/ shoots from OFM and Japanese beetles.

You may want to create a new thread to discuss bagging fruit. Many of us have tried all kind of bags.

Posting here would look like we are hijacking a plumcot thread and those having experience bagging may not check this thread out.

4 Likes

Because of what? Do you have an idea? Frost affecting the flowers or flowerbuds?

Nope, it had thousands of tiny tiny blossoms, other plums nearby, bees hit on it, but hardly ever any fruit set

2 Likes

Yup…i fruit it zone 4 no problem. I like them because they are early for me.

10 Likes

Sorry for bumping this old thread up!

I was researching Spring Satin plumcot online, but could only find it available from ISON’s here:
https://www.isons.com/shop/specialty-fruits/hybrid-fruit-trees/plumcot-spring-satin-tree/

It is out of stock everywhere else. Is this normal?
Like here in ACN
https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/interspecific-hybrid-trees/374/spring-satin-plumcot
and Stark Bro’s

1 Like