Spring Satin Plumcot

With ACN sometimes it is worth calling, as their website does not always accurately reflect their stock.

1 Like

Cumberland Valley and Vaughns sell it.

1 Like

Spring Satin plumcot.
I know this thread is a 2020 one - but thought I’d ask all who planted one, how Spring Satin is doing. ?

I picked one up at a Kroger grocery store, a few weeks ago, for 12 bucks. First plumcot we’ve ever tried.
We planted it close to a Santa Rosa and a Toka. I just read about the recommended pollinators and saw that Metheley is one. I have some Metheley scions, from other forum members, to graft this week - and those should help pollinate the plumcot.

I have jumped on the ‘spray wagon’, for the first time this year - and hope to see a HUGE benefit from that, with all the trees we have planted . . . especially some of the ‘duds’.

Both Spring Satin and Moorpark were very small - potted and grown in fabric netting bags, intended for planting with the tree. First time I have ever seen plants sold this way - and especially out in front of a grocery store chain!

This 2020 thread has been very helpful - thanks, @mamuang, @Ahmad, @NoVA, @ltilton and @gdostie-montreal

4 Likes

I grafted Spring Satin onto Black Ice last year. The scion grew fast. I think it has flower buds. I don’t see any dieback yet. I am in Can zone 5a (USDA 4b). I will report back later.

2 Likes

Spring Satin is early and an excellent plumcot. A definite keeper for me. I’m adding a second graft this year to get more fruit, and have a backup. I do not want to lose it.

1 Like

Spring Satin was my first fruit tree purchase, almost 10 years ago. I love it! Disease resistant and prolific. Usually ripens by mid June here in 7b Maryland.

1 Like

ditch the fabric. even biodegrable burlap don’t degrade fast enough to not stunt the plant

2 Likes

I have only had SS a few years but it is becoming one of my favorites. No disease yet and has a good taste.

1 Like

I bought mine from Vaughn’s this year. It’s small but beautifully shaped and vigorous. This forum is dangerously enabling. Also snagged an AU Rubrum which I only found out about reading through these forums. Hide your wallet!

2 Likes

anyone have a report for these in the maritime pnw (western oregon/wa/bc)?

There are a couple small branches,that were added about two years ago,to a Plum tree,that may fruit this year.
A bench graft,done a few years ago and left in a pot,made one fruit and it was good flavored.Not having much space to plant,I gave the thing to a friend,last month.

2 Likes

It was a very vigorous tree, but I have not eaten from it much. It is very sweet, when picked soft ripe. I moved to CT several months ago, I am considering planting it again.

2 Likes

Everybody has to decide what they like best. I’m sure some I like other people do not and vice versa.

2 Likes

Ain’t THAT the truth!
(Love your screen name, BTW.)

3 Likes

Thanks! :smile:

Just saw your post again - and thought I’d add . . .

I have a ready ‘self-soothing’ rationalization mantra for this . . .
“We have saved money on sooooo many other things during this pandemic. The cost of my fruit hobby/obsession is a drop in the bucket compared to all the restaurant, travel and shopping ‘wastes of money’ that happened before!” Ahhhhhhh . . . now I feel justified. Do you?

5 Likes

Yes, until the travel bans are lifted and restaurants re open, then you’re really in trouble! LOL

2 Likes

Then you’ll join the big leagues!!! :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t have ‘the clothes’ anymore . . . to wear, to ‘go out’! LOL That’s my new excuse for staying home!
And I just read that skinny jeans are OUT, besides . . . so I am REALLY in trouble! Especially if The Wardrobe Police (AKA my daughter) catches me wearing them! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Can anyone comment on when they expect Spring Satin to be ripe in my area? I thought it would be earlier, but the one I picked today was still only 12 brix and a bit sour (as well as not colored all the way through.

Also, it seems completely without fuzz and a bit more pointed, than some of the pics I’ve seen. Do I have a normal plum instead?

2 Likes