The best fruit growers group

I know very little about citrus growing.

Could anyone please let me know what rootstock is best in a sense of being receptive to various vairties when grafted?

1 Like

I live near Houston and most citrus can be grown in the ground. Growing citrus seeds in a pot will likely result in no fruit ever. The tree canā€™t get big enough. I just planted giant key lime, daisy, and neopolitan seeds. The daisy and neopolitan fruit were seedless but occasionally have seeds. Just finished growing out a sugar belle mandarin hybrid that fruited for the first time this year after 6-7 years.in the ground at 8-10 feet. Blooms are at the very top of the tree. Also grew out sumo or shiranui and first fruit last year. Sugar belle is patented so canā€™t get bud wood for it. Seedlings are OK however. Variety of root stock for pot growing is not important. The pot limits the size o the tree. CitrusSeedlings - mrtexascitrus

2 Likes

Yes thanks to Scott for starting this forum but also all the experienced members that take their time to help us Newbies. With all the advice I have received regarding pruning/shaping peach trees and insect management, I hope my fourth growing season is my year!

Now if I could just find a stone carving forum as well backed as this oneā€¦

3 Likes

Grafted a couple dozen citrus this year from HLB free budwood received from CCPP.
HAve manyShiranui. Ponkan and red finger lime trees now.

3 Likes

The old Gardenweb had a bunch of very smart citrus members, they are spread all over, one forum the Tropical fruit forum/citrus has a few old timers , Joe Real here they sure know a lot about rootstock and all about citrus. Most nursery use c-35 or F/D, flying dragon, rootstock for smaller trees. There are more available. First you have to know what you like to grow, NAVEL oranges, Cara Cara navel, Dream navel, maybe you like mandarins, have a bunch of them to. How about lemons, how about Santa Teresa? Nice to have.

2 Likes

I like to eat sweet citrus fruit so mandarins is attractive to me.

2 Likes

Grow a couple Pomeloā€™s, super juicy/sweet. Easy growing treeā€™s for me.

8 Likes

I agree, Iā€™m not sure who is behind this website, but that person, and the whole community mobilized around this Amazing website, crystallizes what humans can achieve when they apply themselves to nurturing, non-violent goals, and when they use reason and technology to share and educate each other about (in this case) fruit.

5 Likes

Bob,

Looks what I am having for breakfast. Lots of Vitamin C here. You probably recognize these fruits since you grow them in pots.

5 Likes

Love those pomelo/grapefruit crosses like those. Grew them for years! At least thats what the ones i grew looked like. Flesh was yellow and tastes like normal grapefruit not red.

1 Like

Trying to boost my immune system the natural way.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right, grow plenty of them. You really canā€™t get enough eating those things, I know you can eat a ton of them easy but than you are not alone. Andrew goes out his way to buy them, donā€™t forget Tippy.
Our doctor who just retired get his care packages every fall/winter, he always seems amazed for what gets.

3 Likes