The lavender fields in Valensole, France

28 Likes

Beautiful! I love lavender. Here’s my own lavender “field”.

7 Likes

Your lavender is beautiful and that us just how they grow it! It will get much bigger!

We made lavender wands in Les Baux. They are used for placing in between your linens in closets and drawers.

7 Likes

Mrs. G,
What variety is the most fragrant, please?

2 Likes

I planted them last year so I’m pretty impressed with how fast they’ve grown so far. This row is a variety called Phenomenal. I also have Munstead. I prefer Phenomenal for the scent and color. It does smell phenomenal when you walk by. But I like how neat and tidy Munstead is.

1 Like

I know it smells nice but not sure what else it is good for. It is very pretty… love that color. looks like it makes a nice clump that would make a nice food forest bed ground cover. I need to plant some of those… considering things that have medicinal value or just make a nice tea.

I found the info below online…

…
Drinking lavender tea is a great way to induce relaxation and unwind after a tough day . It’s packed with healthy compounds that can boost your immune system and alleviate pain by reducing inflammation. Drink lavender tea from flowers in your own garden or opt for pre-dried batches from your favorite tea seller.
…

Do you all make and drink lavender tea ?
Like it ?

Does it remain contained in clumps or spread like crazy ?

Thanks

The lavenders that I used to grow in NorCal immediately reduced my headache after work. Not sure what variety. I grow a lot more down in SoCal but I’ve yet to have that effect on me.

2 Likes

Lavandin Grosso! And large sized flowers!

I bought from my fried Elsa who gives the lavender wand workshops, lavender filled pillows. Sleeping on them at night is lovely. Lavender is nature’s Prozac. It is very calming and also great in baths. I just do not like it in food. Way too strong, for me…

It does not spread, it grows in clumps and need full sun. No forest or dampness for these! They are pruned into low ball shapes in the fall. The leaves are extremely aromatic .

I did not even know there is a difference between Lavender and Lavandin!!!

1 Like

It looks quite dry where that is growing…

I have plenty of heat here but also lots of humidity… our springs can be very rainy.

I might try one just to see how they do.
Thanks

1 Like

I planted some of the Grosso lavender a couple of years ago. Beautiful and smells so good.

1 Like

Yes there is. And the English varieties are not grown here. They are shorter and and not as large.

I had successful Grosso in Newport, RI. Each plant was about three feet in diameter. They take up a lot of space!

1 Like

Our teacher Elsa with a lavander wand in her hand. It was a beautiful day. First you pick the lavender from her field, then you sit down at a table and enjoy a glass of fresh pear juice made by a friend. Then the technique and work begins. The wands are beautiful.

Zoom in on the wand. She uses only French made satin ribbons for weaving. The flowers are inside the bulb.

2 Likes

Lavender used to be my favorite perennial for the longest time. I (now) have clay soils that stay wet even during droughts and Lavender doesn’t take that nor does it care for humidity.

I’d still get 3-good years froma plant @TNHunter. Just sow some seeds. It’s so easy to grow. I used to grow them by the flat… this year I’m growing (for fun) Amsonia illustris or Shining Blue Star.

1 Like

I have some English lavender varieties here, they are the edible type like Hidcote, Munstead, Royal Velvet, they are very small plants. I also have Provence, Grosso, and a few others that are big plants. I ordered Thumbelina twice and they all died on me.

1 Like

Amazing how tough those lavender plants are. The photos show some very rocky ground. I suppose that gives them some great soil drainage.

My oldest daughter was in southern France just 2 weeks ago and stopped at some lavender farms there. Brought back lavender soap for mother.

Here is Wisconsin we have a lavender farm on Washington Island in Door County. The
owner stopped by the nursery I work at for some ornamentals for their landscape at the farm recently. They have to cover the lavender over the winter to get it to survive. Saw nice photos of lavender in bloom at their site called Fragrant Isle.

1 Like