This is pissing me off

How the * can they make disposable crap out of plastic that will not degrade in a thousand years, but the plastic that they use on what’s supposed to be reusable gardening equipment starts disintegrating in two?!

I got a bunch of these two years ago, they seemed to be super high quality:

Well, last year the silicone cups on one started to become unglued and fell off. I just went to get the rest out of storage and the plastic on top has become brittle and is breaking with little effort.

8 Likes

i bought a bunch of them 3 years ago and so far they have held up. maybe you got a bad batch?

1 Like

How cold or hot was your storage area?

It gets to -25f here. But even if it was the cold there is still the fact that skinny disposable soda bottles has 0 issues with it :-\

4 Likes

I almost bought those, sorry they did not hold up for you. I highly recommend Neversink Farm’s seeding trays, I adore the mini-wini’s and their trays are very thick. I am confident those trays are a one time purchase.

7 Likes

I’ve seen all sorts of materials in seed starters and pots. I leave the seed starters to the wife. That is her thing. She is using 2 large Styrofoam ones at the moment.

I’m going to try some starch plastic feed bags and see how those work. We get tons of them for animal feed. Might as well try to use them. Probably will turn them in on themselves and staple the bottoms.

2 Likes

That is a great idea. I get feed bags too. We fill them up with pine needles/forest litter to store to use as fire starter during the winter. I didn’t really think about using them as grow bags.

I was thinking the Styrofoam seed starters would be nice to maybe keep roots/soul warmer? I like that idea because we have a short season and I have a hard time getting seed started for things like peppers.

But we also have a hard time keeping Styrofoam in one piece over here and I tired of trying to pick up all the little pieces in the dirt

2 Likes

The chickens want to eat the Styrofoam here.

2 Likes

Us too!!

Wonder if you can roll down the sides and plant a fruit shrub or tree in one of these. :thinking: I think I might try it since I have tons of feed bags. Actually, I also have a lot of soiless seed starting mix as well from the microgreens we sell. Eureka! I have a new project to try! Thanks for mentioning this!

5 Likes

I wish I had a good surger. I thought about sewing them end to end with a double seam in the middle in each bag. Sew 4 bags together in a circle. Trim off the top side.

Should give you 8 bags that support each other.

2 Likes

Now I keep thinking of the character in Beverly Hills Cop named Serge!

1 Like

Ok, I got a few bags prepared, but not planted. I might be able to plant them out later today or tomorrow.

6 Likes

They want you to buy often, I have noticed that on trays, they have a faulty end where the two halfs meet that breaks very easily. Also green pots i forget what company, within one year they disintegrate when you are going to move the pot. :rage:

3 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

Baby lock is a great brand.

So true! They engineer failure into products, on purpose. That should be some sort of crime!!!

I hate that. These trays seem really great, but the silicone is flimsy. One of our dogs tore mine up. Went straight for the chewy silicone bits

We are trying these plastic feed sacks out for potatoes this year:

We’ll see how it goes.

6 Likes