USDA Summer Apples in Mid Atlantic States

Here’s an interesting 1911 publication that particularly covers production of apples in the central to eastern portions of mid Atlantic states. Post Civil War saw an increase in summer apples in those regions for shipping up North.

7 Likes

It does have extensive varietal records for some based on locations with regards to bloom, picking and frost dates as a comparative guide between varieties.

1 Like

Is that last comment relevant? Since Eric the Red and Leif Erickson pretty much failed in their colonies due to climate suddenly getting a lot colder. Just getting back to the 980’s in Greenland recently.

Actually it’s been trending a little colder in Greenland over the last few years near the Labrador Straight. We have distant relatives over there. Bless my sister; she is working up in Nain and they have really been pasted good this year.

3 Likes

@dannytoro1
Greenland is melting.

You have relatives to confirm this?

Canada Ice Service {dec,2023}shows Ice extent has remained fairly steady at 90% coverage{pdf}

2 Likes

@dannytoro1
Extent is not volume.

Most of the warming is too Alaska’s side. Ice thickness is fairly robust in the Davis Straight this year. El/La Nino and the gulf stream are the major culprits. Not climate change.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1855-2

It’s not really relevant to this thread, but here are some charts and maps showing the total mass loss since 2003 for Greenland and the total arctic sea ice volume.

There were a few heavy snowfall events this fall that created large spikes in ice mass, but even with those the long-term trend is down and the current season mass is right around normal:

The trend is going up.

How did a post on 1911 apples turn into a discussion of ice in Greenland in just a few hours. Please keep that stuff in the Lounge Category.

3 Likes

It happened because it was relevant to acknowledge any range maps or varietal information from 1911 may not be fully accurate due to the changes in climate that have already happened since then. Jerry simply acknowledged this obvious truth in his post that has since been edited, and then the science deniers couldn’t prevent themselves from arguing with what should be a perfectly valid fact to discuss when looking at old maps like this.

2 Likes

I think you’re misreading the charts. Yes, ice mass seasonally trends up every winter, but the overall accumulated anomaly year-over-year is sharply down.

1 Like

Another tread to mute.

Not what Canada Ice Service charts show. And unlike mere tweaked climate modelling; people’s lives actually depend on their maps.

Lol…Science Deniers???..Seriously?

Thanks for this, @jerryrva ! I think you have helped me finally identify an old apple tree that is growing in my yard – Red Astrachan! I love this red apple. It is the first one to ripen here, mid June. A wonderfully tart, sweet opening to the apple season here in North Carolina. I plan on grafting several of them this year.

2 Likes

Interesting , now it makes me want to get the Red Astrachan apple in my orchard.

1 Like

Ive got one Red Astra I banished to another part of the yard, but got out today to mark and dig some new apple tree holes. Your comments remind me that the Astrachan goes there. I’m getting the band (tree) back together in its old spot. I swore that I would NOT plant another row of trees!!! I was marking the spots with sticks and the dogs were pulling the sticks out and chewing them up faster than I could get them in. The dogs were trying to convince me not to dig any more holes.

3 Likes