What did you eat today - that you grew?

I finished my garden escarole with home made Cornish pasties, first time the crust was a success.

Today… raspberries and dandelion blossoms, grew one, foraged the other…

1 Like

We canned 54 quarts of applesauce in September. As of this morning we have 11 left! My daughters are 5 and 1, so we’re making plans to can 100 quarts next year.

2 Likes

I wait until the lemon is entirely yellow. With ‘Meyers’ I wait until they are golden yellow.

2 Likes

Went fishing this morning… waded 3/4 mile of river… caught one black perch (rock bass)… had a couple other hits… felt like black perch too. Still to cool for the smallies I guess.

Did locate some really nice shagbark hickory trees… and found a few nuts still…

Some with nice broad shoulders…

The works of HIS hands…

One of about 20 sunk… the rest are bad.
Back in Dec was finding a high percentage of good nuts… but early March most were bad.

6 Likes

TN, if you find nuts laying around that late you know squirrels and deer know there is nothing in it.

@aap… Yes… I figured most of those were bad by now… 1 out of 28 good… March is definately too late for foraging hickory nuts…

But now back in December I found hundreds just laying out on the ground and 90-95 % were good nuts.

I am mostly scouting for shagbark trees at this point and found some nice ones… and one with larger and more broad shouldered nuts than most. May be a extra meaty nut… I will for sure collect more of those this fall.

Also… whether I catch fish or find good nuts… I just plain old love getting out in creation.

5 Likes

I hear you, I enjoy walking trough our woods( jungle).

1 Like

One lone blackberry in a smoothie with banana, pineapple, tangelo. It’s pretty tasty.

4 Likes

Made lemon chicken orzo, with my garden lemon and curly parsley. Delicious and chicken was on sale too.

1 Like

French Breakfast for lunch.

3 Likes

Finish last few Korea Giant pears that stored in refrigerator.
Still in good shape after more than 6 months

10 Likes

Winesap. Still nice and crisp. No signs of breakdown yet. Picked Oct 23. Not quite 7 months.

12 Likes

Mulberries, Silk Hope variety, they were so good and sweet.

4 Likes

I ate some of my Rising Sun Fuji and some of my Idared that I had in my fridge since the fall. Fuji were better than the Idared.

4 Likes

the hunger gap kale, red vein spinach, and cabbage florets that all grew under the snow. (it’s been night freezes and warm days for a month now…) also early pea greens mixed in. then the last of the potatoes from the shed (I grow a bag in there over winter) and a single breba fig, from the babied plant that has two more figs on it ripening.

eggs from a neighbor. this was breakfast. it’s gonna be canned/dried stuff with some radishes and lettuce for a few weeks now. I canned a lot of elk stew last fall so that will hold us a while.

3 Likes

morels and asparagus from the garden yum

21 Likes

My first cucumber and one tiny Sun Gold tomato.

4 Likes

Swisschard

3 Likes

Mulberry (morus rubra) and daylily buds.

2 Likes